September 25, 2018, 03:57:59 AM

Author Topic: Roger Goodell and Jerry Jones  (Read 1445 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Roger Goodell and Jerry Jones
« on: September 21, 2017, 11:45:12 AM »
Thought this was kind of funny.

Adam Schefter reports that the issues NFL ownership had with Roger Goodell‘s extension has been resolved and that a deal is “getting done.”

Schefter’s source confirmed that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones “raised issues” about Goodell’s deal and wanted to “open up” the search for a new commissioner while inserting himself into the discussion.

“That’s what he tried to do,” said Schefter’s source. “But he got shot down.”

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Roger Goodell and Jerry Jones
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 12:06:53 PM »
The NFL has gotten a lot richer since Goodell became commissioner. Would this have happened anyway? Maybe. That would be speculation. But the facts say that the NFL is a lot more wealthy since Goodell has become the commish. He's been well compensated, and apparently, has been worth it. So, yes, Jones got "shut down". After all, he was very supportive of the punishment against Brady. Now it's his player getting bothered, and he's outraged. Similar to Louis at Rick's in "Casablanca". Here's an article exploring whether Goodell is all that good. Spoiler alert: he is.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17220925/has-roger-goodell-really-improved-nfl-finances-commissioner
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 12:31:10 PM »
IMO a pure power play by (HOF) Jones who wanted leverage or retribution for Elliott decision.
Dont think Owners should be HOF eligible until they're no longer involved in current team operations, retired or dead.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 03:52:18 PM »
If declining viewership, and other "issues" (like the concussions, anthem protests, etc), begin to have a negative effect on the future of NFL revenues (or more precisely, TV Network Advertising contracts), I wonder if it might have a real impact on the next CBA negotiations. The injury news (tied to the current CBA stucture), could have an impact of the language regarding practices/etc. in the next agreement.

The CBA ends after the 2020 season, but like the last go-around (2011), they will likely start the preliminary negotiations in 2019, just as they did in 2010...............2019 is only 15 months away!

We already know that the players are going to want more-more-more this next time...................but if revenues look like they may go in reverse, what could that mean for the next renegotiation and the future of football?

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 05:48:40 PM »
If declining viewership, and other "issues" (like the concussions, anthem protests, etc), begin to have a negative effect on the future of NFL revenues (or more precisely, TV Network Advertising contracts), I wonder if it might have a real impact on the next CBA negotiations. The injury news (tied to the current CBA stucture), could have an impact of the language regarding practices/etc. in the next agreement.

The CBA ends after the 2020 season, but like the last go-around (2011), they will likely start the preliminary negotiations in 2019, just as they did in 2010...............2019 is only 15 months away!

We already know that the players are going to want more-more-more this next time...................but if revenues look like they may go in reverse, what could that mean for the next renegotiation and the future of football?

I just hope the players don't finagle even less practice or contact. I think the quality has taken a hit.

I do believe that NFL players generally get the hose salary wise, in comparison with other sports.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 04:57:44 PM »

If revenue goes in reverse, and the cap falls, imagine the disruption to rosters-
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 12:21:12 AM »
Goodell is a complete fool.  He has mishandled everything from domestic violence, to CTE's, and now the anthem.  Furthermore he cracks down on celebrations and anything else that makes football fun.  This guy should get canned immediately.  He didn't crack down on Kapernick and look where we are now.  Just pissed off about everybody in the country.  81% of Americans don't want politics to enter into Football.  That stupid jackass allowed it to happen under his watch.  There are going to be very dark times ahead for the NFL.  When that revenue shrinks it's going to get ugly. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »
Goodell is a complete fool.  He has mishandled everything from domestic violence, to CTE's, and now the anthem.  Furthermore he cracks down on celebrations and anything else that makes football fun.  This guy should get canned immediately.  He didn't crack down on Kapernick and look where we are now.  Just pissed off about everybody in the country.  81% of Americans don't want politics to enter into Football.  That stupid jackass allowed it to happen under his watch.  There are going to be very dark times ahead for the NFL.  When that revenue shrinks it's going to get ugly.

The military paid for teams to put their teams on the field during the anthem. The military paid the NFL to allow "flyovers" and have military units pareade on the field with huge flags before games. So, politics was involved in the NFL long before Kaepernick decided to take a knee. So, before work, do you say the pledge of allegience? Do you play the national anthem and stand with your hand over your heart? If not, obviously your employer is anti-American and anti-military.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 10:36:28 AM »

The military paid for teams to put their teams on the field during the anthem. The military paid the NFL to allow "flyovers" and have military units pareade on the field with huge flags before games. So, politics was involved in the NFL long before Kaepernick decided to take a knee. So, before work, do you say the pledge of allegience? Do you play the national anthem and stand with your hand over your heart? If not, obviously your employer is anti-American and anti-military.

Please Ricky.  If you can't see the difference you must be blind. 

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 12:09:19 PM »

LOL! I'm pretty sure the NFL has things under control financially. You're projecting your need for someone to be punished.

As an aside, if this were North Korea I'm sure you'd get your wish..... and more.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »
We'll see Kepler.  Mixing politics with football is toxic.  If you don't think this will have an affect on the league you are delusional.  Sure they are doing well now.  Just wait.  The stunt they pulled last Sunday is going to affect revenue going forward.  NFL viewership was already down double digits after Kapernicks stunt.  It will be far worse now.  Merchandise sales and  TV add revenue are both going to get hit.  Don't know how the fans will respond tonight.  Mostly likely not much.  Across the rest of the league you will see ramifications come Sunday.  Bet your butt...

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »

scoremore, my wife and I both worked in jobs for years that required us to stand and recite the Pledge of Allegience every day. For football players, the stadiums are simply their workplace. An expensive, widely publicized and nationally broadcast workplace, but still a workplace.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 03:41:37 PM »

scoremore, my wife and I both worked in jobs for years that required us to stand and recite the Pledge of Allegience every day. For football players, the stadiums are simply their workplace. An expensive, widely publicized and nationally broadcast workplace, but still a workplace.

Yep. Teachers? Right?

My mom, too. (2nd grade)

BTW.............significant chunks of those stadiums (NFL workplaces) were paid for with taxpayer dollars, but yet (for the most part) are privately owned by a billionaire NFL owner. (But not Green Bay!)

If people get riled up, I really can't fault them.