September 25, 2018, 12:26:52 AM

Author Topic: Arden Key or Harold Landry  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
Arden Key or Harold Landry
« on: February 08, 2018, 08:37:09 PM »
It appears using the mock draft sites (fanspeak, etc.) Key is sliding down (early-mid 2nd) and Landry is available quite often.
 It wasn't too long ago neither would be available at 13.
If both are there at 13 who should we take, assuming we wish to build our pass rush through the draft.
 Key is a liability vs the run but he's the guy we need on 2nd /3rd and long. 6'6" and lean and fast, the sky is the limit for him
but as with many talented players it hard to gauge his fire for the game.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:39:25 PM by Fargofootball »

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
Re: Arden Key or Harold Landry
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 04:07:19 AM »
Tough choice but I like Key and with his size he has room to grow.  Landry being smaller in height he is already 250 lbs so don't see him getting bigger but might be more N.F.L. ready.
If the packers bypassed one of the two for a different position in the first round they probably will still have 4 good options with Mar cell Frazier, Chad Thomas, Sam Hubbard or Lorenzo Carter.  Might even see them double dip in rounds 1 & 2 for them.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:20:48 AM by MO.Pack »

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 07:02:51 AM »
But it isn't just Landry or Key. You can add Tremaine Edmunds to the list, and Marcus Davenport, and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo. All could be considered first round picks.

Ive seen Edmunds ranked 3rd overall and Davenport at 10th (Dan Jeremiah). Okoronkwo at 16th (Drafttek).

I probably like Landry the best, but all the above are worth considering.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 09:44:24 AM »
It appears using the mock draft sites (fanspeak, etc.) Key is sliding down (early-mid 2nd) and Landry is available quite often.
 It wasn't too long ago neither would be available at 13.
If both are there at 13 who should we take, assuming we wish to build our pass rush through the draft.
 Key is a liability vs the run but he's the guy we need on 2nd /3rd and long. 6'6" and lean and fast, the sky is the limit for him
but as with many talented players it hard to gauge his fire for the game.

I'm guessing you are talking about the Packers at 14 and not the Redskins at 13.

As for Key and Landry, I think both would be a reach at 14 to the Packers. Would not be surprised if both of them ended up as 2nd rounders. Their will be too much talent sitting at 14 to reach for one of these guys. The Packers will take the best player available regardless of position when they pick in the first round.

Watched Landry with great interest when BC played Notre Dame and he was completely dominated down after down, total nonfactor. Reminded me of former Packer draft pick Jonathan Brown.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 12:27:14 PM »

Watched Landry with great interest when BC played Notre Dame and he was completely dominated down after down, total nonfactor. Reminded me of former Packer draft pick Jonathan Brown.

Landry has been banged up this year. Look at him the previous year, to get a better idea of what he is capable of. The drop in production this year is also why some sites have him falling out of the first round. Like every early pass rush candidate for this years draft, he has things you don't like so much.

With Landry, it is this years level of production, with Davenport it is running the edge round the tackle, with Key it is bullrush, converting speed to power against OTs, with Edmunds it is playing OLB rather than inside (he is not a full-time OLB), with Okoronkwo, he is not that talented in pass coverage. These are generalisations, but have some truth to them.

You have to go  with whichever prospect, whose limitations you feel you can live with.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 01:07:29 PM »
As long as Gute isn't a complete dunce, I am happy with whoever they pick.
With the new DC, I am confident they can mold any one of the guys they pick. 
It was starting to look like GB would be picking S or CB every year for the next 10 years.  Glad that is over.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 08:22:54 AM »
Give me Landry all day. His Senior production was a little suspect but was playing injured. His combine results show the AMAZING potential he has.

Offline Noble Warrior

• Second String
Arden Key
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 03:50:25 PM »
If he's there in the 2nd, do we take a chance on him?

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Arden Key
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 05:18:54 PM »
Here's an overview of his "off field issues"; apparently this 49ers site is convinced he's not to be touched with that 12-foot Hungarian, much less a ten foot Pole.

https://ninernoise.com/2018/01/28/49ers-steer-clear-arden-key-2018-nfl-draft/

Still, there are those who believe his explanations, at least according to Key himself:

https://ninernoise.com/2018/01/28/49ers-steer-clear-arden-key-2018-nfl-draft/

So, is he worth a second? The Packers need someone desperately, and Key could be the guy. After all, they're giving Wilkerson a shot. Why not get Key on the relative "cheap"? The team knows a lot more than we do, so I'll trust them on this one.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 01:29:30 PM »
The attractiveness of Key in round two (for the Packers) is probably linked to what they do in round one. If they go with a pass rusher in one (eg Davenport, Edmunds, Landry, Vander Esch) then Key is probably no longer best value in round 2 (to them).

Offline Participant

• Rookie
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 07:17:43 PM »
Knowing what's out there on Key. There's others in the second and third rounds available that I would rather see in the green & gold. Why take chances on guys that have not shown consistent commitment to being better?

Offline Participant

• Rookie
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 07:53:02 PM »
Landry ALL day.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 06:29:51 AM »
Knowing what's out there on Key. There's others in the second and third rounds available that I would rather see in the green & gold. Why take chances on guys that have not shown consistent commitment to being better?

Agree with this sentiment, and also that of OneTwoSixFive.

A lot depends on the 1st round pick. If it's an Edge person, then round 2 is most likely a CB.

But if they go CB in round 1, there could be other options (besides Key) in round 2 and round 3.

Round 2, I would put Lorenzo Carter in play
Round 3, I would look at Kemoko Turay

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 06:36:22 AM »
Neither, unless my guy is gone by #14.

In that case, Landry.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 07:51:15 AM »
They really have to sort out his "leave of absence" last offseason and his conditioning issues when he came back (gained a lot of weight supposedly). I wouldn't be comfortable with taking him until Round 2 at the earliest and might prefer Round 3.