July 15, 2018, 05:53:17 PM

Author Topic: Just saw Samson.  (Read 459 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Just saw Samson.
« on: February 23, 2018, 07:51:48 PM »
Very first scene, screen says 1170BC, then we see a young Samson and his brother are stealing a basket of corn from a philistine temple. Nice, beautiful 12" ears of corn.

Corn comes from the new world plant maize. Ears of maize were about 3" long. The spanish brought them to the old world from mexico just a few hundred years ago. Over the next several hundred years we turned the maize into modern corn.

A bit later in the market place we see beautiful navel oranges and bananas for sale. Bananas didn't exist in the mediterranean until a couple hundred years ago, and navel oranges didn't exist on the earth until about 100 years ago. The bananas shown are Cavendish bananas, first brought to europe in 1834 and popularized after the world wide banana plague of the 1950s killed off most other types.

I think it's easier to watch movies if you're nearly illiterate.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Just saw Samson.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 01:53:03 AM »
Very first scene, screen says 1170BC, then we see a young Samson and his brother are stealing a basket of corn from a philistine temple. Nice, beautiful 12" ears of corn.

Corn comes from the new world plant maize. Ears of maize were about 3" long. The spanish brought them to the old world from mexico just a few hundred years ago. Over the next several hundred years we turned the maize into modern corn.

A bit later in the market place we see beautiful navel oranges and bananas for sale. Bananas didn't exist in the mediterranean until a couple hundred years ago, and navel oranges didn't exist on the earth until about 100 years ago. The bananas shown are Cavendish bananas, first brought to europe in 1834 and popularized after the world wide banana plague of the 1950s killed off most other types.

I think it's easier to watch movies if you're nearly illiterate.

William Hurt in "The Big Chill": "You're so analytical. Sometimes you just have to let art... flow."

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
Re: Just saw Samson.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 03:04:12 PM »
 I'm surprised they didn't show the earth beginning 6000 years ago