April 26, 2018, 02:24:25 PM

Author Topic: SET4YRS Mock 1.0  (Read 433 times)

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
SET4YRS Mock 1.0
« on: February 24, 2018, 09:00:51 PM »

Free Agents: WR Jordan Mathews ( 2 yrs), TE Austin Sefarian- Jenkins ( 2 yrs), CB Davon House ( 1 yr), CB Byron Maxwell ( 1 yr)

Extend Jordy and see what the market is for Burnett. Will have to clear more cap space to keep Burnett.

RD 1) OLB Arden Key, LSU, 6' 6'' 260 lbs.                             The most natural passrusher in the draft, hope he's there when we pick.
  RD 2) CB Mike Hughes, UCF, 5' 11'' 185 lbs.                         Electric CB with speed to cover deep.
  RD 3) TE Mike Gesicki, Penn St, 6' 6'' 252 lbs.                      Good receiver with speed for his size. Needs to work on blocking.
  RD 4) (Trade Up) CB J C Jackson, Maryland, 6' 1'' 183 lbs.   Athletic corner with cover skills.
  RD 4) OT/G Jamarco Jones, Ohio St, 6'3'' 310lbs.                 Quality tackle prospect that would be a good guard.
  RD 5) (Trade Up) ILB Micah Kiser, Virginia, 6' 2'' 240lbs.       Tackling machine with great instincts.
  RD 5) DT Kendrick Norton, Miami, 6' 3'' 318 lbs.                   Solid sleeper type prospect to develop.
  RD 5) C/G Scott Quessenberry, UCLA, 6' 3'' 314lbs.             We add another interior lineman to the mix for competition. Proven center.
  RD 6) Traded
  RD 6) QB Nic Shimonek, Texas Tech, 6' 3'' 225lbs.                Best QB during the shrine week, has arm talent.
  RD 7) Traded
  RD 7) TE Marcus Baugh, Ohio St, 6' 5'' 258lbs.                     Athletic blocking TE to develop into a complete player.

As far as WR, this mock has the mentality of win now, keep Cobb and bring in a vet for insurance that fits our offense. Also,Letting our younger players compete and develop.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: SET4YRS Mock 1.0
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 06:32:57 AM »
Some nice picks there SET4YRS.

I'd go Edmunds (probably gone at #14), Davenport or Landry, over Key.
Good pick of CB Hughes. I'd pick TE Goedert over Gesicki (if both were available).

Nice pick of QB Shimonek. He'll never be a no.1, but he might make a no.2. My favourite QBs this year are not the top guys, whose value is almost always over-inflated, but guys like Shimonek, White, Falk, Ferguson, Lauletta.

The positions chosen (and where they were chosen) are close to the way I'd go each round, OLB, CB, TE, CB, OT/G, ILB. The biggest difference to how I'd draft is that I would go for a WR in round 2/3.

Overall, very nice.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 08:01:32 AM »
Some nice picks there SET4YRS.

I'd go Edmunds (probably gone at #14), Davenport or Landry, over Key.
Good pick of CB Hughes. I'd pick TE Goedert over Gesicki (if both were available).

Nice pick of QB Shimonek. He'll never be a no.1, but he might make a no.2. My favourite QBs this year are not the top guys, whose value is almost always over-inflated, but guys like Shimonek, White, Falk, Ferguson, Lauletta.

The positions chosen (and where they were chosen) are close to the way I'd go each round, OLB, CB, TE, CB, OT/G, ILB. The biggest difference to how I'd draft is that I would go for a WR in round 2/3.

Overall, very nice.

Thanks 1265. As far as Key goes, he had that type of hype that Clowny and Bosa had to some extent. Natural ability, but he didn't have the NFL weight on his frame like the other two early on. I think he could be a good passrusher from day one and develop into more later. We really need another passrusher and playmaker for the future. Hopefully some of the other current players on the roster make jumps, and I think they will, which is why I only went with one passrusher.

I was one of the earlier posters making noise about adding a WR early. If Kirk or St. Brown are there in the 2nd it would be good value for sure. There is a chance the QB carousel doesn't go as planned in the 1st before we pick and we trade back. Buffalo has two 2nd rounders. The value chart would be us trading our 1st and 6th for Buffalo's 1st, 2nd and 4th if they wanted to move up for a QB. If a scenario like that was to take place, I could see us going WR early for sure.

Again, this is just a mock scenario, a lot will change with free agents and prospect rankings before the draft. But, I don't think we need to blow the team up. We have a lot of developing talent on the roster and only so many roster spots to fill with rookies before it bites the team from an experience standpoint in my eyes.

Randall, King, House, Maxwell, Hughes and Jackson going into the season as our CB group would be a solid starting point to answer our CB woes over the last couple years. The UDFA carousel development at the end of the roster hasn't worked, too much turnover. Make the end of roster guys beat out a vet for a roster spot or pay their dues on the practice squad. Veteran competition and presence will help that group. I also think Rollins would be a good safety. 

Davante, Jordy, Cobb, Matthews, Allison and Davis would be solid going into the season. Yes, we need to think about the future and surely they are. This mock is intended to shore up other positions, add depth for the future and let our roster continue to develop. If things shake out like this, WR would be top priority next draft.

Kendricks, ASJ and Gesicki with Baugh going to the practice squad serving as devlopmental insurance would be a good upgrade for that position group. I wouldn't have a problem with them bringing back Rodgers to compete either. If he wins, great.

Well, there's some random rambling about this mock and our roster. Feel free to chime in more, time to shovel some snow :-\

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »
 clap)

I like signing Maxwell and bringing back House. Takes the pressure off of asking a draftee (like Hughes) to have to be a starter from day-1.

ASJ is a good get as a FA TE.

The Combine will shed some light on Key and his worth. I won't say NO or Yes to him at #14. He has the gifts. Is his head right though?

Bulaga's & Spriggs rehab progress could swing thinking as to should they draft interior OL or OT.

Nice draft! Good job!

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 08:44:07 PM »
clap)

I like signing Maxwell and bringing back House. Takes the pressure off of asking a draftee (like Hughes) to have to be a starter from day-1.

ASJ is a good get as a FA TE.

The Combine will shed some light on Key and his worth. I won't say NO or Yes to him at #14. He has the gifts. Is his head right though?

Bulaga's & Spriggs rehab progress could swing thinking as to should they draft interior OL or OT.

Nice draft! Good job!

Thanks Danno!

Tough to say if they will land a big name FA corner, so I went with a couple vets for competition and depth. House has the experience from our old DB glory days and Maxwell brings LOB experience. Good things to have in that group with the young talent.

I was looking at free agency for a while. Jimmy Graham seemed to be a great fit for our offense, but the recent injury history and age make me nervous. Not sure he would hold up for an entire season being the type of player he was in NO or playing the way Finley fit in our scheme. He still may be an option if the price is right and he can be on a limited snap count until the playoffs. Some team will probably over pay and I don't see us going into a bidding war.

ASJ and Jordan Matthews are a couple young vets with upside that could fit our system. Two year deals would allow us to move a chunk of their cap space to the following year. They are still young enough the earn a big 3rd contract if they perform well. GB could be the best place for them to do that with #12 throwing them the ball. Lots of opportunity for them. I think you may have posted about Maxwell and ASJ before as FA targets, good call.

The plan was Bulaga stays on IR and returns as Spriggs and Murphy hold down the RT position. The Spriggs injury really hurt that scenario. It looked like things were starting to come together for him at RT. You are right about needing to wait on news about his injury status. I can see where my post is a little confusing regarding Jamarco Jones. He would be drafted as a RT prospect or be able to move to RG if needed. Quessenberry is the C/G interior lineman. 

We always seem to pull for some of the UDFA developmental o-linemen. It was a great story how those guys stepped up. Looks like we have a group with some solid players. This will end up being a deep group, we just need to see who will start at RG.

A lot will happen between now and the draft, but it's a good time to do research. We'll see about Key, he may blow up the combine and be the 1st pass rusher taken.