September 25, 2018, 03:41:21 AM

Author Topic: JB Fanspeak Mock 1.0  (Read 826 times)

Offline jbailey00

• Rookie
JB Fanspeak Mock 1.0
« on: March 02, 2018, 07:39:17 AM »
Long time lurker, first time poster here.  Always love draft time, and wanted to put up my latest Fanspeak mock draft.  I used the latest Fanspeak rankings on this, so I don't expect that all these guys would fall where I've got them.  If this plays out, I'd be really happy with this draft.

14: R1P14 -- OT MIKE MCGLINCHEY -- NOTRE DAME
Needed pick with the top edge rushers already off the board.  Could plug-and-play as a long-term starter on either side of the OL.

45: R2P13 -- TE DALLAS GOEDERT -- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
Could be a weapon in the middle of the field, opening up deep shots and outside throws for WR's.  Enough size and blocking ability to be a full-time solution at TE.

76: R3P12 -- LB LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH -- BOISE STATE
Don't see this happening as he's mentioned as a 1st rounder, but great size/speed ability on the edge.

114: R4P14 -- CB DONTE JACKSON -- LSU
Talented CB with speed.  Could start as the nickel CB and grow into a starter on the outside.  Bit short, but physical.

133: R4P33 -- WR EQUANIMEOUS ST. BROWN -- NOTRE DAME
Tall 6'4" target provides a new layer to the offense.  Played with bad QB's at Notre Dame and should show more in the NFL.

150: R5P13 -- CB J.C. JACKSON --MARYLAND
Big-time talent at 6'1" to play with big receivers.  Potential outweighs the questions that could see him drop around this point.

172: R5P35 -- S JUSTIN REID --STANFORD
Solid safety that could play as an FS or SS, along with special teams.

174: R5P37 -- DL FOLORUNSO FATUKASI -- CONNECTICUT
Could provide DL depth either inside or outside with a bit of pass-rush push. 

186: R6P12 -- RB JAYLEN SAMUELS -- NORTH CAROLINA STATE
Unique weapon in the passing game.  Could be used as an H-back, FB, TE, or 3rd down back.  Great hands, route running, and the ability to run the ball.

207: R6P33  -- LB OREN BURKS -- VANDERBILT
Good size for an ILB with the ability to cover some in the passing game.

232: R7P14 -- G KJ MALONE -- LSU
College LT moves inside to G as a big body (6'3", 320 lbs).

239: R7P21 -- DL JUSTIN JONES -- NORTH CAROLINA STATE
Depth pick on the DL with a bit of pass-rush push.  May also be able to play a bit of DE.

With the last pick (#239) I almost took a developmental QB - there were a few left on the board and I would have taken Chase Litton from Marshall as the pick.  6'6", 220 lbs with a good enough arm to put development time into.  Couldn't pass up depth on the DL with J. Jones available there since I think we'll sign a backup QB from FA along with Hundley.

Thoughts?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: JB Fanspeak Mock 1.0
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 08:37:38 AM »
Would gladly take that draft, a lot of value.

As for your last comment, IMO their is close to zero chance that a QB is signed in free agency. If the right QB slips in the 1st round they will take him and the 2018 depth chart will be Rodgers, Hundley and the rookie. Otherwise it is Rodgers and Hundley again next year. IMO

Nice overall draft.

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 04:14:19 PM »
Looks really nice. I think the qb's and Barkley will push down at least one of the top edge rushers though.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 07:51:22 AM »
Looks really nice. I think the qb's and Barkley will push down at least one of the top edge rushers though.

Outside of Chubb, who is an edge rusher worth drafting that high? I'm no expert, but the worst thing a team can do is take a lesser player because they are trying to fill a need. Draft the best player period and I believe that is what the Packers will do.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 09:38:30 AM »

Outside of Chubb, who is an edge rusher worth drafting that high? I'm no expert, but the worst thing a team can do is take a lesser player because they are trying to fill a need. Draft the best player period and I believe that is what the Packers will do.

I agree. I'm thinking that #14 may be too high for any of the Edge Players that might be on the board when GB picks.

But, if a team............let's say BUF..........were to want to move up to #14 (for a QB) and GB get's BUF's #22 and #53 pick in exchange, then I could see taking either Landry, Key, or even Vander Esch at #22 and then be sitting with two 2nd round picks to fill in CB, TE, S, or WR.

I'd be down with that.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 02:06:04 PM »

I agree. I'm thinking that #14 may be too high for any of the Edge Players that might be on the board when GB picks.

But, if a team............let's say BUF..........were to want to move up to #14 (for a QB) and GB get's BUF's #22 and #53 pick in exchange, then I could see taking either Landry, Key, or even Vander Esch at #22 and then be sitting with two 2nd round picks to fill in CB, TE, S, or WR.

I'd be down with that.

Ironically I looked at that same tradedown scenario with Buffalo. Adds up on the value chart and as you pointed out would make sense if someones desired QB is there at 14, that is if it is not the Packers top desired QB. To have two 2nd rounders would be a nice bonus to have without a doubt.

Landry and Key don't excite me as 1st rounders though. Key brings way to much baggage with him to risk a high pick on him, not the place to invest in 10 cent heads. As for Landry, I can't get the image of him being manhandled down after down in the Notre Dame game out of my head.