April 21, 2018, 05:50:19 PM

Author Topic: Mark's Movie Reviews  (Read 927 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Mark's Movie Reviews
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 05:59:42 PM »
I went to see Annihilation.

As the movie ended, a guy in the front row stood up and said, "And we paid money to see this!" A guy next to me said "Worst movie I've ever seen." I replied, "That's a bold statement." His friend said, "Yah, what about American Psycho 2?" He then said, "Ok, it's the second worst movie I've ever seen."

I didn't hate it, but I've not seen an audience reaction like this before.

Just saw it. Fascinating, if a bit slow at times. And the female characters were rather bland, which is a surprise since Garland's "Ex Machina" had a couple really interesting "female" protaganists. Alternately scary, eerie and, yes, at time boring, and definitely challenging, worth the time to see. But only if you think that "2001" or "Arrival" are really good movies. What did take me out of the movie is why they would pick women who had almost no combat experience to enter a place of apparent great danger. I'll probably see it again after reading up on it online. This movie is definitely not for everyone.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 06:02:03 PM »
Rampage

This movie is just silly.

Bio-engineers are trying to make, um, well we never get clear on that. What they do make is a spray that turns anything huge, fast aggressive. Then one of their rats destroys their space station (yah, they're doing their experiments in space so it's "safe"). The genetic stuff crashed to earth in reentry-proof containers ("safe") and infects a gorilla, a wolf and a croc. So a little later we got godzilla v. king kong with a giant wolf thrown in, all fighting and destroying chicago while they're at it. And Duane Johnson is running around 'cause he was friends with the gorilla back when it weighed 500 pounds. The science is bogus on too many levels, the CGI is below average, but there is enough comic relief so that you keep watching the movie. Rent it at redbox in six months for $1.50.

Destroy Chicago? I'll see it just for the sheer enjoyment factor. Hopefully that pathetic UFO stadium will be their first targer. Hopefully during a Bears practice.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 04:09:43 AM »
Beirut

Rosamond Pike has been in three movies that just came out: hostiles, for which I think she deserves an academy award; entebbe, where she had a forgettable part in a forgettable movie; and Beirut.

Some career diplomat stationed in Beirut has more or less adopted a young man. Then it turns out the young kids brother is a major terrorist. The house gets raided, the young kid grabbed by the terrorist brother, and the diplomats wife gets dead.

Ten years later the diplomat, now an alcoholic, gets called back to Beirut to negotiate the release of a captured CIA agent. Now the story gets complicated, a bit confusing, and like all diplomacy fillled with people lying to each other.

It was ok. Rosamond was ok. I'd give it about a C-.

Around here entebbe only lasted about four days in the theaters. This one may last an entire week.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 04:11:01 AM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 04:22:03 AM »
. But only if you think that "2001" or "Arrival" are really good movies. .

Arrival was a great short story, especially if you happen to know some graduate level physics. The interesting physics was all ripped out of the movie, which I thought made the movie a bit hard to follow. The short story was about quantum philosophy and time and free will. I liked the movie but I'm still not clear on what it's about.

But then I'm also still not clear on what 2001 was about.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 05:37:36 AM »
. But only if you think that "2001" or "Arrival" are really good movies. .

Arrival was a great short story, especially if you happen to know some graduate level physics. The interesting physics was all ripped out of the movie, which I thought made the movie a bit hard to follow. The short story was about quantum philosophy and time and free will. I liked the movie but I'm still not clear on what it's about.

I thought it was the evolution of language. Since the alien language was the key to gaining new a perspective on time. Sort of like the things you think, say and do affect your life in a multitude of ways. In that way it reminded me of the I Ching. It was as if each symbol being used was a reciprocal image to represent your entire life if you had done so and so. It also struck me near the end that the idea of reality being made up of language can be a very true statement and we don't yet know what is possible and impossible. The aliens were uninspiring, aesthetic wise, but I liked Arrival a lot.