July 16, 2018, 05:20:38 AM

Author Topic: WR draft prospects  (Read 2670 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
WR draft prospects
« on: March 11, 2018, 12:24:58 PM »
Each team has things that they look for in a potential draft picks at each position. The Packers have been fairly successful with the drafting of WR's and seem to be very consistent with the measurables each individual must meet. With that in mind, I am going through each position to try and help narrow down a group to players that the Packers may be more focused on.

Calvin Ridley - 6'0" 189    4.43/40    6.88/3 cone
Courtland Sutton - 6'3"  218   4.54/40    6.57/3 cone
D.J. Moore - 6'0"   210   4.42/40   6.95/3 cone
Dion Cain - 6'2"   202   4.43/40   6.71/3 cone
Michael Gallup -  6'1"   205   4.51/40   6.95/3 cone
Tre'quan Smith -  6'1"   210   4.49/40    6.97/3 cone
Javon Wims -  6'4"  215   4.53/40    7.00/3 cone
Byron Pringle -  6'2"   205   4.46/40    6.87/3 cone
Robert Foster -  6'2"   196   4.41/40   6.90/3 cone

This list will probably grow in the coming weeks as some players have incomplete resumes. What is interesting in making this crude list is how few prospects of the over 70 I looked at met the thresholds of the standards of the Packers resent draft history in just 4 categories.

Of the 12 WR's the Packers have drafted since 2008, the only outlier from a height/weight standpoint was Randall Cobb being a inch too short.

This is not a list of players that I am advocating that the Packers draft, simply passing on information of like past draft choices to potential future draft choices. Hope this is helpful. 

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: WR draft prospects
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 01:19:16 PM »
Does anything disqualify Chark ?    6'3" and runs a blistering 4.34  He even has value in returning punts in his rookie year.

I understand missing out Kirk (only 5'10") and Coutee and Burnett (only 180 and 170 lb), but Washington looks very interesting at 5'11", 213lb. His speed is misleading (4.54) because he gets deep routinely, and has a good record in winning contested balls. He is not a classic WR (looks more like a RB), but I think he could be a good one, especially with ARod airing it out to him.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 01:20:05 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 01:31:36 PM »
Does anything disqualify Chark ?    6'3" and runs a blistering 4.34  He even has value in returning punts in his rookie year.

I understand missing out Kirk (only 5'10") and Coutee and Burnett (only 180 and 170 lb), but Washington looks very interesting at 5'11", 213lb. His speed is misleading (4.54) because he gets deep routinely, and has a good record in winning contested balls. He is not a classic WR (looks more like a RB), but I think he could be a good one, especially with ARod airing it out to him.

Chark is one of the few that fall into the incomplete resume group, he did not do all the drills at the combine. Waiting on his pro day stuff.

As for Washington, he was disqualifed with a 7.11 in the 3 cone drill. That was disappointing to me also, I liked that guys highlights.

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 02:54:08 PM »
I suspect speed at WR will be a huge factor for GB in this draft.
 I see lots of areas where we will improve overall team speed.
 I would add an inch or two for Koutee and Kirk, so to speak.  They are worth drafting and I'm sure they are on the Packers board.
But I would ask, how many WR picks have we made since Adams and who is worth keeping using these guidelines.  (6 picks plus however many off the street is the answer)
None have broken through the starting lineup and all I hear is our starters can't get open.
Too many fast receivers in this draft not to come away with one that can play. (same could be said for CB)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 03:12:22 PM »
This is one area that  is discouraging about this draft.

IMO, I would release either Cobb or Nelson to free up CAP space.  But in the draft there really is a lot of WR's to choose from if you ask me.

I would say that the same applies to TE, although that may be a tad better.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 03:45:41 PM »

Chark is one of the few that fall into the incomplete resume group, he did not do all the drills at the combine. Waiting on his pro day stuff.

As for Washington, he was disqualifed with a 7.11 in the 3 cone drill. That was disappointing to me also, I liked that guys highlights.

Washington only scored 4.49 on the RAS (relative athletic score) and the Packers do like high scorers there, in recent years

Entirely aside from his ability, I just love the idea of a player called Chark (think shark). I see visions of fans coming to watch games with cheese coloured shark fins on their heads, and Lambeau playing the Jaws theme. When he scores, all the fans can shout like the woman on the beach who shouts "Shark, Shark" (the new Kuuuuhn).
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Offline packdaddy

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 04:21:17 PM »
Cortland Sutton jumps off that list to me. 6'3, 218#, good enough 40 time, but with an insanely fast 3-cone time!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 08:42:43 AM »
Two more that fit into what the Packers historically have drafted are,

DJ Chark out of LSU who most are projecting as a 2nd rounder.

Dylan Cantrell out of Texas Tech who tested much better then most thought he would at the combine (had the best time in the short shuttle) projects as a very interesting 3rd day pick. Most are saying 5th or 6th round.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 06:54:51 PM »
Put me down for Tre'quan Smith. (4th round)

He's a 4.49 "glider" (runs smooth), which makes him sneaky-speedy. Plus they say he's got Lawdy-Long arms which gives him an advantage on highpointing a jump ball. (37.5" vertical & 10'-10" broad jump..........explosive)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 04:52:09 PM »
The more I watch and read of D.J. Moore from Maryland the more I like him, makes things happen when the balls in his hands. Have a feeling he is going to be the second WR drafted and will probably go between 25-40. But I'm hoping some how he slips to 45 for the Packers and they scoop him up there. He is a true junior and will be a 21 YO rookie. Cobb and Adams both were very young 2nd round WR picks for the Packers also. My current 2nd round mancrush.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 07:32:53 PM »
The more I watch and read of D.J. Moore from Maryland the more I like him, makes things happen when the balls in his hands. Have a feeling he is going to be the second WR drafted and will probably go between 25-40. But I'm hoping some how he slips to 45 for the Packers and they scoop him up there. He is a true junior and will be a 21 YO rookie. Cobb and Adams both were very young 2nd round WR picks for the Packers also. My current 2nd round mancrush.

Wouldn't be surprised if they took him at #45, provided he's still on the board. They've spent time with him, so there's serious interest.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 10:45:30 AM »
WR Daurice Fountain who played at Northern Iowa and is Wisconsin native who played his HS ball at Madison Memorial High School is probably a player we should have on our radar as a 3rd day pick for the Packers. 

A vertical (42.5 inches) and broad jump (11 feet, 2 inches) that would’ve been tops among wide receivers at the combine, and a 40-yard time (4.46 seconds) that would’ve tied for 10th at the combine. At 6'1" and 210 pounds he checks all the boxes of the information that we do have (do not have a 3 cone drill time for him). Most draft sites are projecting him as a 5th to 6th round pick. With the Packers at his pro-day and owning 7 picks in the 5-7 rounds he is a player worth keeping an eye on.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 01:41:42 PM »

Chark has great measurables but needs to work on his hands.  he's not the guy who is going to go after the ball, but relies on body catches and double catches.  Not sure Id send him over the middle a lot and he has a knack of dropping easy balls.  Chark looks good, but he'll need to spend time  to develop his hands and catching techniques. IMO, he'll be one of those "He can get open, but will he catch it?" guys like Ted Ginn or Torrey Smith.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:43:07 PM by The GM »

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 03:03:34 PM »
I lean towards DJ Moore (overall favorite, but probably a late 1st rounder), Deon Cain (might be a good complement to Adams) and Michael Gallup (another good option as a complement to Adams).

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 04:40:21 PM »

Chark has great measurables but needs to work on his hands.  he's not the guy who is going to go after the ball, but relies on body catches and double catches.  Not sure Id send him over the middle a lot and he has a knack of dropping easy balls.  Chark looks good, but he'll need to spend time  to develop his hands and catching techniques. IMO, he'll be one of those "He can get open, but will he catch it?" guys like Ted Ginn or Torrey Smith.

He is a risk, but the speed is really rare (especially with that size). Many WRs don't shine until year three anyway (eg Jordy Nelson). The advantages of Chark are firstly that the Packers could use at least one truly fast guy. Second, that return ability keeps him useful in his early career.