April 19, 2018, 02:41:01 PM

Author Topic: WR draft prospects  (Read 1937 times)

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: WR draft prospects
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 06:53:31 PM »

Chark has great measurables but needs to work on his hands.  he's not the guy who is going to go after the ball, but relies on body catches and double catches.  Not sure Id send him over the middle a lot and he has a knack of dropping easy balls.  Chark looks good, but he'll need to spend time  to develop his hands and catching techniques. IMO, he'll be one of those "He can get open, but will he catch it?" guys like Ted Ginn or Torrey Smith.

He is a risk, but the speed is really rare (especially with that size). Many WRs don't shine until year three anyway (eg Jordy Nelson). The advantages of Chark are firstly that the Packers could use at least one truly fast guy. Second, that return ability keeps him useful in his early career.

No doubt we can use the speed. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 06:55:29 PM »

Chark has great measurables but needs to work on his hands.  he's not the guy who is going to go after the ball, but relies on body catches and double catches.  Not sure Id send him over the middle a lot and he has a knack of dropping easy balls.  Chark looks good, but he'll need to spend time  to develop his hands and catching techniques. IMO, he'll be one of those "He can get open, but will he catch it?" guys like Ted Ginn or Torrey Smith.

He is a risk, but the speed is really rare (especially with that size). Many WRs don't shine until year three anyway (eg Jordy Nelson). The advantages of Chark are firstly that the Packers could use at least one truly fast guy. Second, that return ability keeps him useful in his early career.

If that's your requirements........................

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/marquez-valdes-scantling?id=2560229

7th round.

He has the same issues (drops) that Chark does.

Rather than spend a 2nd round pick, spend a 7th round pick.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 07:38:42 PM »
Every year fans obsess about speed WR's, yet the Packers never use the speed they do have. Both Janis and Davis were among the fastest players in their draft classes, but we can count on one hand how many vertical routes that have been thrown to them in the last couple of years. I get the feeling this is a fan only thing and the Packers have been just fine with the speed at the position. I believe the Packers will draft a WR or two in this draft, just not sure that pure speed ranks real high on the list of importants to the Packers.

Online WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 03:06:18 PM »
DJ Chark is pretty overrated based on speed alone. A lot of the video I saw showed him body catching A LOT of passes. He's more threat than weapon at the moment.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 03:45:13 PM »

7th round.

Rather than spend a 2nd round pick, spend a 7th round pick.[/quote]

Nice catch danno, I never knew about him. I don't worry too much about the drops, almost all really fast WRs seem to suffer from that more than slower guys. He sure can move for a 6'5" guy, and in the later rounds you look for at least one good thing about a guy to hang your hat on. Valdez-Scantling has two, with his rare size and even rarer speed for that size. I reckon with that combo he may well go a couple of rounds earlier than rd7.

The Packers probably go elsewhere (than Chark) in round 2 anyway. My current thinking is they trade up in round two for a corner, (for one of Davis, Hughes, Oliver, Alexander)  - perhaps after moving down a few spots in rd 1..... and get their WR in round 3.  I cannot see Chark lasting until the Packers rd3 pick, So Valdez-Scantlling would be a nice addition later, even if the Packers have gone WR in the third.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Divot

• All Pro
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2018, 08:28:14 AM »

He was awesome at the Senior Bowl (practices and game).  FYI

7th round.

Rather than spend a 2nd round pick, spend a 7th round pick.

Nice catch danno, I never knew about him. I don't worry too much about the drops, almost all really fast WRs seem to suffer from that more than slower guys. He sure can move for a 6'5" guy, and in the later rounds you look for at least one good thing about a guy to hang your hat on. Valdez-Scantling has two, with his rare size and even rarer speed for that size. I reckon with that combo he may well go a couple of rounds earlier than rd7.

The Packers probably go elsewhere (than Chark) in round 2 anyway. My current thinking is they trade up in round two for a corner, (for one of Davis, Hughes, Oliver, Alexander)  - perhaps after moving down a few spots in rd 1..... and get their WR in round 3.  I cannot see Chark lasting until the Packers rd3 pick, So Valdez-Scantlling would be a nice addition later, even if the Packers have gone WR in the third.
[/quote]

Offline Participant

• Rookie
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 07:48:50 PM »
I'm afraid you put a guy like Chark from LSU in Wisconsin in Oct., Nov. and Dec. with the lack of hands he has that is well documented, it's not a combination I would consider. I too think Sutton is the real deal in the draft. He'll be gone be the second-round pick of the Pack though. D.J. Moore in the third would be a good value, and Pettis might be worth considering if he drops to the third.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 06:35:19 AM »
There is a chance Moore could be the 2nd WR taken in the draft. His stock has been rising as of late.

He likely won't be there when Packers pick in the 2nd, let alone the 3rd.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 04:31:57 PM »
There is a chance Moore could be the 2nd WR taken in the draft. His stock has been rising as of late.

He likely won't be there when Packers pick in the 2nd, let alone the 3rd.

That's how it looks, I'm guessing he goes anywhere from a late first to the first 10 picks in the second. Also Ridley reported as falling to the bottom half of round one. I'm not sure how true that is, misinformation is flying around, this close to the draft. Bottom line......it only takes one team to like Ridley the best.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 04:44:00 PM »
Well it is the lying season.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 07:32:22 PM »
More Ben Fennell Retweeted Gil Brandt
#Packers were in attendance for Deontez’s workout.. Similar play style/body type to #Jets WR Robby Anderson... Long, lean frame WRs w/ downfield speed/tracking

D.Alexander - 6'2 196lbs
4.4 speed, 37.5" vertical, 6.9 3C

Deontez Alexander played at DIII Franklin College in Indiana, probably a UDFA type because of where he played. Tests as well as the day 1 and 2 guys.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 07:41:01 AM »
"When I watch DJ Moore I can't help but get Steve Smith vibes. I hold Steve Smith in high regards so I don't take that lightly." @dpbrugler on Moore to the #Panthers

I concur!

Offline redfox33

• Rookie
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 01:28:12 PM »
I'd love for a tall fast WR but for some reason I think decisive quickness is what we need. TE Fumigalli from Wis is not fast, or special, but he is always open and catches most passes at him even when the other team knows it 3rd down and 10 or more.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 02:15:14 PM »
I'd love for a tall fast WR but for some reason I think decisive quickness is what we need. TE Fumigalli from Wis is not fast, or special, but he is always open and catches most passes at him even when the other team knows it 3rd down and 10 or more.

If the Packers are high on D.J. Chark you may get your wish. The middle of the 2nd round should be his calling and the Packers have the 13th pick (45th overall) in that round. He does meet the Packers benchmarks and it would not be surprising to see them take a WR there.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2018, 02:49:33 PM »
J'Mon Moore, Missouri is a new WR on the Packers radar. Tested very well at the combine except for his 40 time (4.6) which was sub-standard for past drafted Packers WR's. His 3-cone (6.56) and 20 yard shuttle (4.04) were outstanding and among the best at the combine. At his pro-day he ran 4.48/40 which is more in line with his other numbers. At 6'3"/ 204 has all the measurables that the Packers are looking for.