April 20, 2018, 03:58:49 AM

Author Topic: WR draft prospects  (Read 1944 times)

Offline footballdad

• Rookie
Re: WR draft prospects
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2018, 02:04:30 AM »
I'm not saying anything against Chark or any of the other fast receivers in the draft. Speed can kill but it also goes both ways when a ball isn't caught.
To put combine numbers in perspective, see the numbers below for some of the Pack's better wideouts from the past decade.

Greg Jennings - 5'11 197 : 4.46 - 40 , 36.5" vertical, 117" broad, 4.16 short shuttle, 6.68 3 cone.
James Jones - 6' 3/4"  207 : 4.58 - 40 , 34" vertical, 119" broad, 4.2 short shuttle, 7.06 3 cone.
Jordy Nelson - 6'2 1/2"  217 : 4.55 - 40, 31" vertical, 123" broad, 4.35 short shuttle, 7.03 3 cone.

My basic point is they are just numbers. The reality of all three is that they could catch the ball, break tackles, and get open. Also had heart, which you cannot time or coach.

Numbers are a great place to start but film does not lie.

Offline footballdad

• Rookie
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2018, 02:36:46 AM »
For the record, I like Gallup, Miller, and Wims.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2018, 05:40:50 AM »
Nelson was listed as having a 4.51 40..........and he was field fast as well. James Jones was a different beast, who had no speed, but high quality hands in traffic.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2018, 08:28:02 AM »
RT - do you know where St. Brown falls on your list of reqs?   Testing areas he fell short in?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2018, 09:35:03 AM »
RT - do you know where St. Brown falls on your list of reqs?   Testing areas he fell short in?

I cannot answer if he falls short or not because for some reason he chose not to test at the combine or the Notre Dame pro-day. Here is a link to the Notre Dame pro-day results.

https://www.onefootdown.com/2018/3/22/17153858/notre-dame-football-pro-day-results-josh-adams-40-time-quenton-nelson-mike-mcglinchey-nfl-draft

He has the size and straight-line speed, but does he have that short area ability to stick his foot in the ground and cut? He can hide from testing, but the Packers know from his tape what he is and isn't. But for us it will be incomplete data all the way to the draft. My unsolicited opinion would be that he is not on the Packers board based on the very small sample of plays I have watched of him (about 15), combined with his unwillingness to do a 3-cone drill, 20 or 60 yard shuttle suggests that he knows he would perform poorly. IMO     

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2018, 10:46:20 AM »
Agreed RT. He has better straight-line speed and  is taller than Courtland Sutton, but he isn't the football player Sutton is.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »
J'Mon Moore, Missouri is a new WR on the Packers radar. Tested very well at the combine except for his 40 time (4.6) which was sub-standard for past drafted Packers WR's. His 3-cone (6.56) and 20 yard shuttle (4.04) were outstanding and among the best at the combine. At his pro-day he ran 4.48/40 which is more in line with his other numbers. At 6'3"/ 204 has all the measurables that the Packers are looking for.

Josh Norris

Verified account

@JoshNorris

More
Missouri WR J'Mon Moore is visiting the #Packers today

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2018, 05:13:39 PM »
I wonder if they have Tre'quan Smith on their board?

6-2/203
4.49/37.5 vertical/10-10 broad/6.97 3-cone/4.5 short shuttle

Very long arms (over 33"). Plays with an edge as well.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2018, 06:29:14 PM »
I wonder if they have Tre'quan Smith on their board?

6-2/203
4.49/37.5 vertical/10-10 broad/6.97 3-cone/4.5 short shuttle

Very long arms (over 33"). Plays with an edge as well.

I would guess he is, if you go back to first post to start this thread, he was in the first group listed as likely on the Packers board. If they miss on the first wave of WR's he is not a bad plan B.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2018, 08:06:14 AM »

I cannot answer if he falls short or not because for some reason he chose not to test at the combine or the Notre Dame pro-day. Here is a link to the Notre Dame pro-day results.

https://www.onefootdown.com/2018/3/22/17153858/notre-dame-football-pro-day-results-josh-adams-40-time-quenton-nelson-mike-mcglinchey-nfl-draft

He has the size and straight-line speed, but does he have that short area ability to stick his foot in the ground and cut? He can hide from testing, but the Packers know from his tape what he is and isn't. But for us it will be incomplete data all the way to the draft. My unsolicited opinion would be that he is not on the Packers board based on the very small sample of plays I have watched of him (about 15), combined with his unwillingness to do a 3-cone drill, 20 or 60 yard shuttle suggests that he knows he would perform poorly. IMO     

I actually really like what I've seen from ESB.   Stumbled upon this article (and a new time-wasting website)- definitely worth a read.   Metrics might change some opinions and good read on ESB's route running capabilities.   Matt Harmon happens to like ESB way more than Chark from LSU if people like their deep speed receivers.

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/reception-perception-hard-to-find-the-faults-in-equanimeous-st-browns-game/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:07:11 AM by ThatGuy284 »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2018, 08:20:59 AM »

I actually really like what I've seen from ESB.   Stumbled upon this article (and a new time-wasting website)- definitely worth a read.   Metrics might change some opinions and good read on ESB's route running capabilities.   Matt Harmon happens to like ESB way more than Chark from LSU if people like their deep speed receivers.

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/reception-perception-hard-to-find-the-faults-in-equanimeous-st-browns-game/

Thanks for the link, some good info.