September 24, 2018, 11:45:18 PM

Author Topic: Packers make a quick call on Jimmy Graham  (Read 3649 times)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
Packers make a quick call on Jimmy Graham
« on: March 12, 2018, 11:03:28 AM »
Things are different in Green Bay under G.M. Brian Gutekunst.

More here...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:05:39 AM by LMG »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Packers make a quick call on Jimmy Graham
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 11:17:57 AM »

More here...

If I remember correctly, TT signed TWO TE's last year. Will Gutekunst get into a bidding war for Graham's services? What about Wilkerson? Can both be signed? What about a vet CB, which should be a priority? TT was prudent, perhaps too much so. Will Gutekunst be willing to "go all in to win now"? Because if he swings and misses, the team could be hampered for years.

If Gutekunst is going to get serious about FA, he's going to have to clear some cap space ASAP. I'm actually surprised he hasn't made any moves on the Cobb/Nelson/CMIII contract front. Because those three could help clear millions in cap space.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 12:18:07 PM »

More here...

If I remember correctly, TT signed TWO TE's last year. Will Gutekunst get into a bidding war for Graham's services? What about Wilkerson? Can both be signed? What about a vet CB, which should be a priority? TT was prudent, perhaps too much so. Will Gutekunst be willing to "go all in to win now"? Because if he swings and misses, the team could be hampered for years.

If Gutekunst is going to get serious about FA, he's going to have to clear some cap space ASAP. I'm actually surprised he hasn't made any moves on the Cobb/Nelson/CMIII contract front. Because those three could help clear millions in cap space.

He doesnt have to clear cap space until Wednesday if he needs to.  Hearing Graham is between us and New Orleans.  Im on the fence with Graham, good target but he doesnt block.   If Im Graham I wouldn't sign with NO until Brees signs.  They just said on NFLN that Rodgers and Graham have been in touch.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:40:45 PM by The GM »

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »
The guy is 31 years old.  Plus he probably wants a ton of money.  Pass.  I'd rather take my chances with a rook and use the money to bolster the defense.  Look the Packers were always active in FA.  The only difference is now you are going to hear about it.  We will kick the tires on a bunch of players doesn't mean they will be signed. 

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »
The guy is 31 years old.  Plus he probably wants a ton of money.  Pass.  I'd rather take my chances with a rook and use the money to bolster the defense.  Look the Packers were always active in FA.  The only difference is now you are going to hear about it.  We will kick the tires on a bunch of players doesn't mean they will be signed.

100% agree. They'll have their pick of the litter in the 2nd round if they're so inclined.

I'm not entirely sure he still has it. My offer would be a low one.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 01:30:30 PM »

Yeah,  new twist to this, the Vikings have reached out to Drew Brees.  The Saints may have to deal with that to get Graham in the fold? Lots of plusses and minuses with Graham.  They may just be using Green Bay for leverage.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:35:30 PM by The GM »

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 02:15:54 PM »
....100% agree. They'll have their pick of the litter in the 2nd round if they're so inclined. ...

I wish we had like 6 2nd round picks. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 02:20:10 PM »

Yeah,  new twist to this, the Vikings have reached out to Drew Brees.  The Saints may have to deal with that to get Graham in the fold? Lots of plusses and minuses with Graham.  They may just be using Green Bay for leverage.

So ....................... Are the Vikings hedging their bets on the "Cousins Sweepstakes"?

LMAO!! All's I hear about on TV in the Twin Cities is Cousins! Cousins! Cousins!  censs2

Makes me want to BARF!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 03:01:21 PM »
So ....................... Are the Vikings hedging their bets on the "Cousins Sweepstakes"?

LMAO!! All's I hear about on TV in the Twin Cities is Cousins! Cousins! Cousins!  censs2

Makes me want to BARF!

A lot of posturing and maneuvering to get the best deal. Leverage interest in Brees to get a better deal for Cousins (I prefer "Jmmy Johns" myself). Schefter claims that the Jets have offered $32 million/year, while the Vikes are offering $26 million. I heard this on Mad Dog Radio today, so no link. So, the Vikes claim interest in Brees to get Cousins to commit rather than try to leverage more money out of them by threatening to sign with the Jets. Games within games.

The thing to remember is the last time Minnesota was "one player away", they did the Lawrence Welk trade for Herschel Walker and change. How did that work out? So, I'm not too worried about their signing Cousins. In fact, with a lot more money tied up iat QB, they're going to have a tougher time re-signing some of their better defensive players down the line.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 04:27:02 PM »
I believe Aristotle first proved this.

The Vikings are two players away. So they get a player.

Then they're one player away. So they get half a player.

Then they're half a player away. So they get a quarter player.

They never get there. QED.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 05:17:56 PM »

Makes me want to BARF!

A lot of posturing and maneuvering to get the best deal. Leverage interest in Brees to get a better deal for Cousins (I prefer "Jmmy Johns" myself) Have you ever tried Jersey Mike's?. Schefter claims that the Jets have offered $32 million/year, while the Vikes are offering $26 million. I heard this on Mad Dog Radio today, so no link. So, the Vikes claim interest in Brees to get Cousins to commit rather than try to leverage more money out of them by threatening to sign with the Jets. Games within games.

The thing to remember is the last time Minnesota was "one player away", they did the Lawrence Welk trade for Herschel Walker and change. How did that work out? So, I'm not too worried about their signing Cousins. In fact, with a lot more money tied up iat QB, they're going to have a tougher time re-signing some of their better defensive players down the line.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 10:21:36 AM »
Sorry danno, never heard of Jersey Mike's. Though I've ehard good things about Firehouse. But neither is within driving distance. JJ's is about a five minute drive.

Oh, and Mark, exactly how do you get portions of players, such as a half or quarter? Works with steps, but people? Are we talking midgets, paraplegics, what? And if that is politically incorrect, so be it. You wrote that the Packers are not a player away. The Packers have the key component- a great QB. Everything else can be found through the draft or FA at decent prices. A franchise QB is rare, and expensive.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 10:35:58 AM »
Sorry danno, never heard of Jersey Mike's. Though I've ehard good things about Firehouse. But neither is within driving distance. JJ's is about a five minute drive.

Oh, and Mark, exactly how do you get portions of players, such as a half or quarter? Works with steps, but people? Are we talking midgets, paraplegics, what? And if that is politically incorrect, so be it. You wrote that the Packers are not a player away. The Packers have the key component- a great QB. Everything else can be found through the draft or FA at decent prices. A franchise QB is rare, and expensive.

With 55 players under contract, I would say the Packers are 35 players away.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 01:20:35 PM »
It has been reported that the Packers have agreed with Graham on a contract.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
Packers sign Jimmy Graham to a 3 year deal...
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 01:23:18 PM »
Packers intend to sign TE Jimmy Graham to a three-year deal, sources tell ESPN.

Adam Shefter is the source.

Don't know what to make of this until we get the numbers.  Guy is probably good for a season maybe 2.  Guess Aaron was pushing hard for this to happen.  Not official yet but probably will be real soon.