July 22, 2018, 07:07:38 PM

Author Topic: Packers make a quick call on Jimmy Graham  (Read 3386 times)

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Re: Packers make a quick call on Jimmy Graham
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 01:24:25 PM »
3 year deal for Graham. It will be interesting to see the financials. Hopefully more "Jared Cook" than "Marty Bennett".

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 01:25:20 PM »
Wow, super surprising.  Wonder how much he's got left? 

I'm a huge believer that with Rodgers, and with our poor defense, that we really needed to supplement our pass-receiving bunch.  Not sure how much he'll do that at this stage in his career, but Graham is pretty safe to be a lot more usable as a receiver than Kendricks.  Hope it works out. 

Unexpected, but hopefully it will be a fun move. 

Don't imagine TE is the most athletically demanding position, so maybe Graham will still be able to catch a lot of passes and a lot of first-downs even at this age? 

Offline Ptpaq

• Rookie
Re: Packers sign Jimmy Graham to a 3 year deal...
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 01:29:32 PM »
he can't block and isn't very useful between the 20's anymore, I hope we didn't give him anymore than $5-6 mill.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 01:32:08 PM »
Wow, super surprising.  Wonder how much he's got left? 

I'm a huge believer that with Rodgers, and with our poor defense, that we really needed to supplement our pass-receiving bunch.  Not sure how much he'll do that at this stage in his career, but Graham is pretty safe to be a lot more usable as a receiver than Kendricks.  Hope it works out. 

Unexpected, but hopefully it will be a fun move. 

Don't imagine TE is the most athletically demanding position, so maybe Graham will still be able to catch a lot of passes and a lot of first-downs even at this age?

They were talking about this deal on the NFL network and talk about Graham really is best used spread out more as a WR. Don't expect him to be able to be a force in the run game, I don't think he could block my mother and she is 88 and uses a walker. He should add what has been missing since Cook left.

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 01:40:26 PM »
Definitely upgrades the TE position. Still would like to see an outside speed WR added.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 01:55:58 PM »
Graham better catch 10+ TDs. Anything less is going to be a sore disappointment and big stinker of signing for Gutekunst.

Ditching Nelson for Graham is a solidly dumb move imo. Highly doubt Rodgers is thrilled about this now that Nelson is released.

This is the sort of double move that can make or break your credentials as a roster builder. I'm inclined to call it a bust.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 01:59:07 PM »
Definitely upgrades the TE position. Still would like to see an outside speed WR added.

He really isn't a TE, he is a redzone WR. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 02:12:12 PM »
Packers intend to sign TE Jimmy Graham to a three-year deal, sources tell ESPN.

Adam Shefter is the source.

Don't know what to make of this until we get the numbers.  Guy is probably good for a season maybe 2.  Guess Aaron was pushing hard for this to happen.  Not official yet but probably will be real soon.

If Rodgers was pushing for this move, did he know it would mean the loss of Nelson?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 02:55:25 PM »
....They were talking about this deal on the NFL network and talk about Graham really is best used spread out more as a WR. Don't expect him to be able to be a force in the run game, I don't think he could block my mother and she is 88 and uses a walker. He should add what has been missing since Cook left.

Rodgers is a terrible blocker too, so if you have TE's who can't block, I'm fine with using them as receivers more than blockers. 

I wonder how usage will be.  Five blockers and Aaron, that's 6 guys, and leaves five others. 

How do you distribute the other five?
1.  2 WR-outside, 1 TE-receiver, 1 WR-slot, 1 RB?  And no in-line TE?
2.  1 TE-receiver, 1 TE-inline, 2 WR-outside, 1 RB?   No WR-slot?
3.  1 TE-receiver, 1 TE-inline, 1 WR-slot, 1 WR-outside, 1 RB?  Just one, not two outside WR? 

will be interesting to see what MM does with the guys he's got.  If they don't add a second decent outside WR, they may just go with 5 slow guys and go with Adams, who isn't fast either, as the only outside guy? 

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 04:04:53 PM »
I have no problem with this at all.  Graham is the best TE available and will automatically give Rodgers a huge red zone target.  I haven't seen any details on the deal, but would think somewhere like 3 years $30 million, but probably will include some type of option deal to get out after 1 or 2 seasons.  If healthy, this is an 80 catch - 12-14 td's addition.

On the flip side, I hate to see one of the Packer greats let go in Jordy Nelson, but that is how the business works.  I wish he would retire and never put on another uniform.  I just don't want to see him sign with one of the division teams and have to watch him twice a year. 

Offline Scott1956

• All Pro
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 05:36:13 PM »
When Graham played for the Saints, everyone thought he was the best TE in the league. Then he spent a few years in Seattle, and not much. I'm thinking it's more about the college offense the Saints ran. Graham is 6'7" which makes him red zone gold. And he can still run! I think Rodgers is going to love this guy.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 05:45:53 PM »
Gotta find someone who can fill Jordy's shoes.

Hard to expect that from a rookie draft pick, or the couple 2nd year guys they have (Clark & Yancy).

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 06:38:13 PM »
I understand the fiscal plan behind releasing a pricey Jordy contract to create some room to sign Graham, particularly since Jordy’s a couple years and a major injury older than Graham. That written, I’ve never been a big Jimmy Graham fan and Jordy Nelson is/was one of my favorite Packers. So although I’m emotionally unhappy with the move, I’ll wait and see how it plays out on the field.

Even with Graham in the fold, I expect Green Bay to invest one of those middle round draft picks in a Tight End. But for now, this allows them them to focus on building that defense into Pettine’s vision.

I also expect this means we’ll be seeing more of Ty Montgomery as a WR this year, and the reins will primarily be turned over to the young combo of Jones and Williams.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 06:45:07 PM »
When Graham played for the Saints, everyone thought he was the best TE in the league. Then he spent a few years in Seattle, and not much. ...

Wasn't really a superstar or a game-changer for Seattle, no.  But these last two years, he still caught 57 and 65 passes. 

Last year RRodgers caught 12, and Kendricks 18.  So even in these nothing-special years in Seattle, Graham was still catching twice as many as Rodgers and Kendricks combined.  He might be an upgrade. 

That said, Kendricks caught 50 the year before, but then dropped to only 18 with Packers.  So, won't surprise if Graham ends up being about as insignificant as Kendricks, and drops way off in catches within the Packers system.  Rodgers doesn't like to throw over the middle, nor does he like to through "touch" passes.  Throwing high rockets over the middle, if they get tipped or overthrown, are INT-risks.  He may not like using Graham's good hands at all, who knows? 

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 08:03:33 PM »
Either they didn't think enough of this class of TEs or are planning to spend the 2/3 round pick on other needs.

The best thing about this is they are set up to go after Noah Fant in 2019.