December 15, 2018, 07:52:38 PM

Author Topic: Packers make a quick call on Jimmy Graham  (Read 3858 times)

Online craig

• HOF Member
Re: Packers sign Jimmy Graham to a 3 year deal...
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 08:14:09 PM »
Yeah, only have one pick per round, can't address everything with picks 1-2-3.  There's about 6 spots I'd like to spend the 2nd-round pick on, but can only hit one of them.  Every vet that fills a hole kind of frees up the draft. 

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 09:37:54 PM »
 Jimmy Graham is the best TE the Packers will have since Finley. The Packers will draft a TE also. Graham will be a monster in the redzone.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 09:40:26 PM »
I'm hearing 3 years $30 mill.  He'll get $22 mill of it in the first 2 years.

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2018, 08:00:32 AM »
Yes he is a red zone threat. But the most important thing about him is his hands and the ability to hold on for first downs.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2018, 10:28:28 AM »
Living in Seattle, and being bombarded with Seahawks info, I know exactly what Jimmy Graham brings. 

1)  You have to keep him engaged in the game.  Keep him busy with throws, make him a factor in the game.  He's just not as effective when he gets 3 catches vs 8.   You'll see more drops with fewer attempts with Graham.  Throwing to him like they throw to Richard Rodgers wont work, he needs to be a large part of the offense.

2)  At the same time, he becomes more effective with better WRs around him.   The Packers lost a big leader on and off field with Jordy now gone.  Adams and Cobb need to step up in both so Graham isnt the MAIN target of the offense.  You want him to be the silent killer.  Much like the Patriots use Gronk.  Brady went to Amandola and Eddleman a lot,  Gronk wasnt often the focal point but he's the one who killed you.

3)  Your sister can block better than Graham.   Hes strictly a receiving tight end.  Use him how they will, he's effective lining up out wide to give Rodgers a better read of what the defense is doing.   Hes a terrible blocker, just know that going in.

4)  Expect drops.  see #1.  Hes got good hands, but needs to be in the flow of the game.

5)  Hes coming from a very vocal locker room in Seattle, much different than Green Bay.  I think this will help him some.

I wasnt jumping up and down with this signing,  but he can be a weapon if he's used with the right mix in this offense.     

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2018, 11:33:03 AM »
This is from some Graham discussion in the Wilderson thread. 

Not sure if you were doubting me, thinking I was making things up, but here is a link going back to 2015. Teams have shared this view for awhile.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seahawks-michael-bennett-jimmy-graham-is-still-overrated-and-soft/

Unless Gute and his advisors are incredibly incompetent, they should have also been familiar with those perceptions, and should have researched and dug deep. 

In a sense, the options are:
1.  They didn't know.  You know, everybody knows; but Gute, even with MM in his ear, didn't know.  And as a result, made a really dumb, uninformed decision. 
2.  They did know.  They studied and talked to people (and studied film).  And after doing so, they made a fully informed decision to sign him (anyway).   

Unless Gute is incredibly incompetent, it's hard to imagine #1 being true. 

As GM notes, Packers should understand what Graham is and isn't.  He's not a blocker, if MM thinks he's getting a blocker then the Packers are really in trouble.  And if he's inconsistent in his focus and intensity, Packers should know that too.  I'd like to assume the Packers went in with eyes wide open, knowing the negative stuff; but still believed that what Graham CAN do is still valuable enough to be worth it.  If they went in blind, then the Packers management is in a really, really bad place. 

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 11:35:48 AM »
I don't like this.

We dumped a $12m 31 yr old receiver coming off an ACL (which I'm ok with) to pick up a $10m 32 yr old coming off an ACL. I just can't see this as a big step in the right direction. If we had gotten Graham for $4m I would maybe be ok, but $10m, just doesn't seem right.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2018, 12:02:24 PM »
I don't like this.

We dumped a $12m 31 yr old receiver coming off an ACL (which I'm ok with) to pick up a $10m 32 yr old coming off an ACL. I just can't see this as a big step in the right direction. If we had gotten Graham for $4m I would maybe be ok, but $10m, just doesn't seem right.

I see your point Lawrence, but I look at this as a bridge.  Jordy said himself he wanted to player 1-2 more years.  Was this upcoming season his last?  You keep Jordy and Cobb and are both gone or slipping after next year?  Now you have a massive hole at WR.  Graham gives you a receiving threat for the next couple of years.  You get a WR for Jordy this year and a WR next to replace Cobb, if need be, next year.   Its not a easy decision, but one that needed to be made.   I love Jordy, but the end was coming.  You have to think past next year and how are you going to fill the WR holes.  I see Graham as a bridge to the next era of Packer WRs and a outlet for Rodgers until we get there.    The next era is on Gute,  the WRs he gets for Rodgers will be critical, whether its Allison developing, Montgomery playing WR or Davis actually playing WR, or drafting replacements this buys him a LITTLE time IMO.             

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2018, 12:20:00 PM »
Love the move to add Graham

If a player is aging, expensive, has supposedly lost a step, isn't known as a great blocker, and struggles to gain separation-- I'd rather that player be 2 years younger, 6'7" and 265 lbs with a massive wingspan and be a creative mismatch problem   

With Jordy - the WR corps was still widely regarded as a position that needed to be upgraded - most advocating doing so with a high pick.  Our TE group was a barren wasteland with the glimmer of hope a mid-level pick would be used to bring in a rookie to play heavy minutes at a position at which rookies traditionally struggle to make an impact.

With Graham - the WR corps is still widely regarded as a position that needs to be upgraded - most advocating doing so with a high pick.  Our TE group with Graham / Kendricks is now a position of strength (IMO) with the glimmer of hope a mid-level pick would be used to bring in a rookie to grow into the position and eventually replace Kendricks this year and Graham in 2-3 years

Hate to see Jordy go.  Given that he played so many of his seasons under team friendly deals and did so without complaint, I would have loved to see him one more time.   Perhaps not at $10 mil - but $5-6 would have been fair imo.   He will be missed - but given the choice, I'd rather have Graham than Jordy at this stage in their careers