December 15, 2018, 07:45:22 PM

Author Topic: What Free Agents to pursue?  (Read 8650 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
What Free Agents to pursue?
« on: March 12, 2018, 05:30:36 PM »
A lot of talk about............

Offense:
Jimmy Graham
Allen Robinson
Sammy Watkins
? who else ?

Defense:
Mo Wilkerson
Trumaine Johnson
? who else ?

Personally, my preferences would be .............

Offense:
TE - Crockett Gillmore (plus a draft pick). He's not getting a chance in BALT. Bargain UFA.
WR - Donte Moncrief. He's had a couple of injury set backs, but when he (and Luck) were healthy, he had a good year in 2015 (his 2nd year in the league)

Defense:
DL - Mo Wilkerson. Plenty of discussion here about him
OLB/EDGE - Trent Murphy (coming off injury, and has to sit with 4 game suspension), but he's an ascending pass rusher and may be affordable because of baggage
CB - Rashaan Melvin - 2nd tier free agent CB but has the size/speed/physicality

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Re: What Free Agents to pursue?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:10:58 AM »
The initial first wave is so ridiculous. I know Allen Robinson is good, but he's also coming off of an ACL injury. Better the Bears than us!

Offense:

1.) Donte Moncrief - Would like to see him with more consistent QB play.

Defense:

1.) Muhammad Wilkerson - Mix him with Daniels and Clark and that's a fearsome front.
2.) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - Would solidify that outside spot opposite of King.
3.) Aaron Colvin - I think he can play on the outside.
4.) Delvin Breaux - Intriguing guy that at worst would be a 4th CB.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:40:14 AM »
I like Moncrief myself.

He would be really good with AR.

The other guy would be TE Graham.

You then release either Cobb or Nelson.  I mean with Adams, Moncrief and Graham, AR would be set.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 12:28:48 PM »
Dang. Colvin signing a 4 year deal with Houston.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 02:03:46 PM »
Now that we've had that initial first wave and considering that we have a very heavy need at Cornerback, I'm hoping we go hard after Rashaan Melvin. Seems like he put together a real good season in Indy.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 02:48:29 PM »
CB Options::
Rashaan Melivin...........my preferred player to pursue
Jeremy Lane and DeShawn Shead...............Pettine was a consultant for SEA last year. Maybe one of these guys is Pettine's kind of guy?
Davon House..............it would be another 1 yr stop gap deal. Is Davon willing to do that......again?
Marcus Williams..........I liked this kid as a developmental prospect coming out of NDSU. His market might be limited. Might be a bargain signing.
Byron Maxwell...........Throw his name in the rings as well. Man......did they break up the Legion of Boom, or What?!
LaDarius Gunter.........I know! I know! But he's a physical press-man CB (also a RFA..........has CAR tendered him or not?). Pettine might like his style/swag at CB.

WR Options:
Charles Johnson..........GB let him slip away at one time. Now he's on the market. Size. Speed. What's not to like?
Jordan Matthews.........not a burner, but gets separation and gets good YAC. BUF misused him.
Brandon Coleman........Think of it! Graham 6-7; Coleman 6-6; Clark 6-6, draft Courtland Sutton and youve almost got a BB team! Throw 8-10 yd jump balls all the way down the field. No one can stop you!  ;D
Eric Decker.........no spring chicken, but he's a veteran presence and still productive. They need that.
Jaron Brown.........another 6-2 WR who had his best year in 2017. Late bloomer?

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 03:01:46 PM »
Thanks, Danno. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 04:52:45 PM »
Not sure if they will look at any 3-4/Edge guys in free agency, but just in case.

OLB Options:
Ahmad Brooks............didn't do anything last year under Capers, but under Pettine?
Connor Barwin............I wanted him last year. Signed 1 yr/$3.5M deal w/ LAR's. He had a better year than CM3........bargain!
Barkevious Mingo..........is he a perennial tease? Maybe. Drafted the year before Pettine became Browns HC. He should know if he's a tease or not.
Trent Murphy.............Looked as if he was going to have a break out career, and then he blew his ACL and got a 4 game PED's suspension. Any one signing him will have to ride out his 4 game vacation to start the 2018 season.
Jeremiah Attaochu.........another player who looked to be becoming a breakout player until injuries derailed his ascension. He's got talent, but comes with medical red flags.
Sam Acho...........unspectacular in CHI, but........it IS Da Bears.............has the right "measurables" to fit in Pettine defense.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 05:10:45 PM »
Not sure if they will look at any 3-4/Edge guys in free agency, but just in case.

OLB Options:
Ahmad Brooks............didn't do anything last year under Capers, but under Pettine?
Connor Barwin............I wanted him last year. Signed 1 yr/$3.5M deal w/ LAR's. He had a better year than CM3........bargain!
Barkevious Mingo..........is he a perennial tease? Maybe. Drafted the year before Pettine became Browns HC. He should know if he's a tease or not.
Trent Murphy.............Looked as if he was going to have a break out career, and then he blew his ACL and got a 4 game PED's suspension. Any one signing him will have to ride out his 4 game vacation to start the 2018 season.
Jeremiah Attaochu.........another player who looked to be becoming a breakout player until injuries derailed his ascension. He's got talent, but comes with medical red flags.
Sam Acho...........unspectacular in CHI, but........it IS Da Bears.............has the right "measurables" to fit in Pettine defense.

Murphy signed a 3 year deal with the Jets.

Mingo signed a deal with the Seahawks.

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 05:27:35 PM »
Good lists Danno.  For the WR's - Any interest in Terrell Pryor?  A huge risk, but could be a big reward.  Rodgers makes those guys better and adding another big target isn't the worst thing.  I know he disappeared last year, but the potential is there.  I think the possibilities are thinning quickly and really no one excites me. 

As for the CB's - I think you gotta get House back for another 1 year deal and at the very least he gives some depth if not as a starter.  And, other than Melvin, the others aren't difference makers.  I still think a CB is going to be the #1 pick.  With that though, I would look at Eric Reid as a S.  Yes he has some injury issues in the past, but when healthy, this guy makes plays.  I just have a feeling someone is going to come in and give Burnett 3 years and $20 million and he will be gone. 

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 06:38:32 PM »
A good pass rusher makes all your CB's look good. A good cb only makes himself look good.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 06:42:25 AM »
Any of the CB population left in free agency are just bodies. The Packers may sign someone yet, but their will be no guarantees that they even makes the roster. Think Ricky Jean Francois a year ago on the DL. I get the yardsale mentality, fans getting excited over their new wornout work boots, but in the end the reality is they are just old and wornout.

Offline jbailey00

• Rookie
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 06:44:40 AM »
Think Melvin would be a great pickup at CB.  Hopefully the price comes down a bit now that the first wave of FA's has been signed.  I think with his size / length / speed he'd make a good outside fit with King on the other side. 

I like the idea of Pryor as a WR option.  Given his bad year / injury last year, I think he'd come at a big discount, but still has the size / speed to be a difference maker.  I think playing with a great QB could really help showcase him as well.  I'd be good on a 1 year "prove it" deal or a 2 year deal too.  Would much rather have a guy that's got the possibility to improve than "just a guy" at WR.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 07:05:16 AM »
Melvin has had a a series of injuries that is concerning, he put together a good season last year in Indy, but before that was a mediocre starter at best.  Did the light come on last year?  Was it the scheme? Can he stay healthy?  Tough to know what you are getting.