September 25, 2018, 12:45:41 AM

Author Topic: Packers Releasing Jordy Nelson...  (Read 3209 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Packers Releasing Jordy Nelson...
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2018, 11:10:59 AM »

@RapSheet
Follow Follow @RapSheet
More
The #Raiders deal for WR Jordy Nelson is not a done deal just yet. I’m told they have real competition from the #Saints. They are making a hard push. The #Seahawks aren’t out yet. He’s still in Oakland, but...

Imagine that their is a strong market for Nelson.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2018, 02:06:18 PM »

@RapSheet
Follow Follow @RapSheet
More
The #Raiders deal for WR Jordy Nelson is not a done deal just yet. I’m told they have real competition from the #Saints. They are making a hard push. The #Seahawks aren’t out yet. He’s still in Oakland, but...

Keeping Cobb solved............?

He's not a #1.
He's not a #2.....either.
He's a slot........primarily. But Nelson played better in the slot in 2016 than Cobb ever has.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 04:08:20 PM »
$15m  / 2 years. Considerably more than we offered.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 04:21:48 PM »

@RapSheet
Follow Follow @RapSheet
More

He's not a #1.
He's a slot........primarily. But Nelson played better in the slot in 2016 than Cobb ever has.

Cobb is also a lot younger than Nelson, and hasn't lost a step. Cobb is also versatile, since he can be lined up in the backfield and then move to another spot, or stay there and have to be taken somewhat seriously as a running threat. Also, cutting Nelson meant saving over$10 million in cap space, with a dead cap hit of about $2.5 million. Cobb? Savings of $9.5 million, but dead cap of $3.25 million. This was a business decision. The Packers are likely to want to at least investigate re-signing Cobb, although at a lower price next year. Though it seems likely that Cobb will hit FA next year, and the Packers will be more likely to look for a "player swap" along he lines of Nelson/Graham rather than compete if some other team wants to throw a lot of money at Cobb.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 04:54:10 PM »

@RapSheet
Follow Follow @RapSheet
More

He's not a #1.

Cobb is also a lot younger than Nelson, and hasn't lost a step. Cobb is also versatile, since he can be lined up in the backfield and then move to another spot, or stay there and have to be taken somewhat seriously as a running threat. Also, cutting Nelson meant saving over$10 million in cap space, with a dead cap hit of about $2.5 million. Cobb? Savings of $9.5 million, but dead cap of $3.25 million. This was a business decision. The Packers are likely to want to at least investigate re-signing Cobb, although at a lower price next year. Though it seems likely that Cobb will hit FA next year, and the Packers will be more likely to look for a "player swap" along he lines of Nelson/Graham rather than compete if some other team wants to throw a lot of money at Cobb.

Agree with this.  Business decision.   I think a lot of Jordys stats late in his career came from a chemistry and rapport with Rodgers.  They instinctively knew what the other was doing. Having lost a step, I'll be interested to see if he gets that connection with Carr.  It takes years sometimes and isnt easy.  Without it, Jordy might not be the Jordy we've  known in recent years.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 04:57:06 PM by The GM »

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2018, 05:49:08 PM »
 Time to move on. Yes, Jordy Nelson was one of the best Packer WRs ever. But face it, he couldn't run anymore. Why did Rodgers have to roll out and extend plays? His receivers couldn't get open. Just watch the 22 video and see it. Adams and Cobb were open more. Jordy will play one year in Oakland and retire. Father time has no mercy.