July 16, 2018, 05:28:45 AM

Author Topic: Packers sign Kyle Fuller to offer sheet  (Read 1541 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Packers sign Kyle Fuller to offer sheet
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 11:30:37 AM »
The way the contract was structured wouldn't have really put much stress on the Bears to match, which on the surface seems weird.

I think the Packers evaluated the situation like this.  If the Bears passed, then the Packers would get a young ascending CB.  If the Bears matched, they are now committing big dollars to CB long term, which may have removed the CB position from being in consideration for the Bears at #8 which increases the chance that the CB the Packers covet falls to a range they are comfortable making a move up for.  Not a whole lot of downside.

Never thought of it that way, but it certainly makes sense! Also, how many of you, like me, are checking in regularly to see what else the Packers may be up to this FA period? Usually, we sat back and groused at how other teams were signing players to try to make them better. Now, the Packers truly seem to be "in the mix". A new backup QB, an addition to the offense and defense who could be difference makers- this is the kind of off-season I think a lot of us have wanted. That it meant losing Nelson hurts, but hopefully Graham is an addition by subtraction.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid