September 26, 2018, 12:30:25 AM

Author Topic: Big Boards  (Read 3475 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Big Boards
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 09:29:56 AM »
Tight end Dallas Goedert, who just started running two weeks ago after rehabbing the hamstring he injured during the first day of Senior Bowl practice, posted a 35-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-1 broad jump and timed 6.87 in the three-cone and 4.06 in the short shuttle.

May be a player to keep an eye on. Projected by many to go in that 50-75 range, but if he falls to the Packers at 76 he is probably someone they would strongly consider there. May be the perfect replacement for Graham next year after a year in their system and Graham completely flames out. Very athletic numbers from a natural catcher of the ball.   

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 02:50:15 PM »
[quote author=RT link=topic=7224.msg184489#msg184489 date=1521577632

What does any of that have to do with a list of QB's that share measurables and testing results similar to players the Packers have drafted in the past. Nowhere do I even hint at the idea that the Packers are going to draft a QB early, late or at all. Because I don't know, but you believe you do. I'm simply sharing information is all.

Well, sorry about that. You wrote "QBs possibly on the Packers board". This  included guys who would necessarily have to be drafted early (Rosen, Allen and Darnold, in particular). So, I guess "possibly on the Packers board" doesn't mean they might draft that guy. He's just the BPA? But not at a position of need? Just curious.
[/quote]

This is just me taking one piece of the puzzle at a time and trying to put together a rough Packers board. Bucky Brooks who was a scout for the Seahawks, last year talked about a team writes every player up even if their is currently no need at that position. For several reasons, the team may be interested in the player later in a trade or free agency and that background work could come in handy at that point. Also, the scouting reports are used to evaluate the talents of the scouts themselves. He also mentioned you never know when you will have a need at any position and you want to be prepared, used the Bridgewater injury as an example.

He touched on this again the other day when Belichick was so active with Bradley Chubb in his pro-day workout and people were questioning why he would care because their was no chance he would be drafting him. Their may be no chance the Packers draft a QB, but that doesn't mean they haven't written up and graded everyone of them.

Offline BrightEyes

• Rookie
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 11:57:31 AM »
Hey RT.  Are we going to get the rest of the positions on the big board or are they in another Thread.  I've seen CB, OL and QB in this thread and WR in another.  I was wondering about OLB, ILB and DL.   I love the information you are providing. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 02:15:51 PM »
Hey RT.  Are we going to get the rest of the positions on the big board or are they in another Thread.  I've seen CB, OL and QB in this thread and WR in another.  I was wondering about OLB, ILB and DL.   I love the information you are providing.

Thanks, I was really thinking no one cared about the information. Good to know it was not a waste of time.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 03:35:32 PM »
ILBer's possibly on the Packers board.

Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech - Elite hybrid prospect who in all likelihood is a top 10 pick.

Roquan Smith, Georgia - Also likely a top 10 pick, elite sideline to sideline player. I believe his best position is weakside in a 4-3, but don't believe it is worth debating very much, he will be long gone by the Packers pick at 14.

Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State - At 6'4"/ 255 has drawn comparisons to Brian Urlacher, also may fit as a hybrid player. Has been linked to the Packers early in the process.

It is an unusual year in that 3 players could be drafted in the first half of the first round who end up playing ILB/MLB.

Micah Kiser, Virginia - Explosive run-defending linebacker, instinctive with a nasty attitude, not great in coverage. Does check all the testing boxes, but doesn't play like a quick-twitch athlete. Projected as a 4th or 5th rounder by most.

Christian Sam, Arizona State - Testing matches, twitchy athlete who's on field production doesn't match his testing numbers. Put up 28 reps on the bench at the combine. Projects to go in the 4th or 5th round.

Jack Cichy, Wisconsin - Wisconsin native with a nightmare injury history. Tested very well at his pro-day, 4.19 short shuttle and 6.88 3-cone drill. Both would have been among the leaders at the combine. Seems to be a lot of buzz about him right now. Packers may have interest because of the defense that the Badgers run. Probably go's in the 4th round.

Micheal McCray, Michigan - Another that checks all the boxes from testing and measurables.  Physical and aggressive, but probably a two-down player. Would probably fit the same kind of roll that fellow UofM draftee Jake Ryan plays. 5/6 round.

Zaire Franklin, Syracuse - Nicholas DeLuca, North Dakota State - Quentin Poling, Ohio - are 3 players that I've found that match from a testing and measurables stand point of what the Packers historically draft, but these 3 probably fall in the 7th/ UDFA group.

Josey Jewell from Iowa and Oren Burks from Vanderbilt are two that we should probably keep on the radar. Both just miss by the slightest of margins of be qualifiers, but both are excellent and productive players. Most are projecting these two to be drafted in the 3/4 rounds.

With Joe Thomas signing with Dallas it leaves the Packers with 2 ILBer's for the mostpart (that is not everyone signal to jump in and tell me about Jones and Matthews also play inside). The Packers will need to add some bodies to this group, just don't know if it early, middle or late.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 04:36:55 PM by RT »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 05:09:41 PM »
Agree about adding another player to the ILB group RT.

Should be noted that both Edmunds and Vander Esch have been profiled to be able to play snaps at OLB as well as ILB. That makes them more versatile players than most of the other ILB's, and would be a very good fit in Pettine's defense.

Carry on.......................... 8)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 12:24:37 PM »
Safety's possibly on the Packers board.

Derwin James, Florida State - Likely top 12 pick who surprisingly to me the Packers have shown a fair amount of interest in. The only thing keeping Landry or LVE from becoming a Packer is if James falls in their laps.

Justin Reid, Stanford - A fast, fluid, versatile safety who tested very well at the combine. Could easily fill the slot roll and has the size to be a effective blitzer. Would make a good Packer. 2nd rounder

Jessie Bates, Wake Forest - Hard not to like this guy. Heady and very fluid and agile athlete. Find the ball and gets the ball, complete player would fit any system. 2nd rounder

Godwin Igwebuike, Northwestern - Tested very well as an athlete 4.44 40-yard dash and 6.56 three-cone drill. Stoutly built player  (5'11"/215) who tackles with force. 3/4 round

Terrell Edmunds, Virginia Tech - Big versatile athlete who tested very well (4.47/ 40 and 41.5 vertical). Would seem like a doubling up on a Josh Jones type for the Packers. But he may not be on some boards because of medicals. If he checks clean for the Packers he probably falls in that 3rd or 4th round range.

Siran Neal, Jacksonville State - I've add this player even though his 3 cone drill didn't qualify, but the Packers are one of the few teams that have went out of their ways to watch and interview this guy. Played safety and linebacker, converted to corner last season. 5th round.

Trayvon Henderson, Hawaii - Another one that the Packers have shown extra interest in, Packers spent time with him at his pro-day. 6 or 7 round/ UDFA type.

Dane Cruikshank, Arizona - Checks all the boxes for the Packers. Good size (6'1", 209 lbs), speed (4.41 40) and power (25 reps on the bench). College production didn't always match his physical skills. 7th/UDFA

Natrell Jamerson, Wisconsin - Another who tested well, run 4.40/ 40 and 25 reps on the bench. Like all Badger defensive players, would come to GB with a basic understanding of their new defense. 7th/UDFA

Troy Apke, Penn State - Was given little interest until he blew up the combine with top numbers with a 4.34 in the 40-yard dash, 41-inch vertical jump and 6.56-second three-cone. Is he a late bloomer or just a workout warrior? Should be a heck of a STer with those workout numbers. 7th/UDFA

With the lose of Burnett and the want to always create competition, I am expecting them to add a safety late in the draft or add a couple UDFA's. But than again they did surprise and take Jones in the 2nd round last year. Is their another surpise this year?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 10:07:09 AM »
RB's possibly on the Packers board.

Saquon Barkley, Penn State - Toted as a top 5 pick, clean player with the complete game.

Derrius Guice, LSU - Probably the 2nd most talented RB, but his off the field issues and his ratting out teams at the combine more than likely will slide him out of the 1st round. How far he slides will be interesting to see.

Sony Michel, Georgia - A very talented runner and receiver with a versatile skill set. Will be a great asset to any offense. 2nd round probably

Kerryon Johnson, Auburn - He is one of the many impressive RB's in this loaded class. Is a big back with the tools to step right into a pro offense. Does have some injury history. Probably 3rd round

Nick Chubb, Georgia - Another impressive RB who tested very well. At 228 pounds ran 4.52 in the 40 and put up 29 reps on the bench. Equally impressive on the field, should be a day one impact player. 2/3

Rashaad Penny, San Diego State - Yes, another impressive RB with size (220 lb.) and speed (4.46/40). He also produced as a runner, receiver and return man at SDSU. Another that should produce from day one. 2/3

Royce Freeman, Oregon - Think Eddie Lacy size (234 lb.) only faster (4.54/40). One of the most productive players in college football over the last four seasons, 3 down back with proven hands and the body to improve as a blocker. Because of the depth at the position, it could push him into the 4th round and value starts coming into play for teams not really hunting a RB. Teams like maybe the Packers with 9 third day picks?

Kalen Ballage, Arizona State - Another impressive athlete at 6'1" and 227 pounds. He has a toolset that is perfect for the NFL with power, speed (4.46/40), hands and versatility in the passing game. Another who could be a great value on day 3. Probably 4/5

Bo Scarbrough, Alabama - Excellent size (6'1" and 232) and speed (4.52/40) guy. Was a bit of an enigma at Alabama as many thought he would be Derrick Henry 2.0, but it never happened. Probably will end up as a situational runner in the NFL. 5-7

Because of the depth of this RB group their will quality UDFA's to be had and that is probably the route the Packers go this year with RB. Yet I would not be surprised if they used a 3rd day pick on a RB either.

The UDFA types the Packers have brought in, in past years varys a great deal. They are willing to bring in types that don't match their drafted types. Some of the RB's that may go undrafted that I found interesting are Chase Edmonds, Fordham, Chris Warren, Texas, Lavon Coleman, Washington, Jarvion Franklin, Western Michigan, Darrel Williams, LSU and Anthony Philyaw, Howard.

FB's possibly on the Packers board.

Dimitri Flowers, Oklahoma - An athletic fullback who could easily move around the formation and also play H-back. Has some upside as a short yardage back. 6/7

Nick Bawden, San Diego State - Kind of a Ripkowski clone. Should be a ST mainstay. 6/7

Ryan Nall, Oregon State - Is converting from RB, would add more of a run game from the FB position. The Packers have interest, used one of their combine visits on him. 7/UDFA

Austin Ramesh,Wisconsin - True FB that the Packers are using one of their 30 private visits on. Their is interest. 7/UDFA

With Ripkowski in his final year of his contract, I do expect the Packers to add a FB to groom for a year so they don't miss a beat at the position if they should lose Ripkowski at years end.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 10:36:10 AM »
TE's possibly on the Packers board.

Mike Gesicki, Penn State - Elite athlete (41.5" vertical) with ideal NFL size (6'5", 247 pounds), speed (4.54/40) and strength (22 reps). Outstanding red-zone target. May get pulled into the 1st, probably 2nd rounder.

Hayden Hurst, South Carolina - Is probably the #1 TE on some boards, has the most complete game of any TE in this draft. Age is probably his biggest negative, he will be a 25 YO rookie. 2nd rounder.

Dallas Goedert, South Dakota State - Cannot say for sure that he is a qualifier with the Packers, he has yet to run a 40 and that would be a projection for them. Dominated FCS level, excellent athleticism for the position, runs a complete route tree. Also fits in that 2nd round range.

Mark Andrews, Oklahoma - More pass catcher than a complete TE. Not as athletic as the first 3, but is very crafty in the passing game. Bit of a poor mans Jimmy Graham right now. Some medical. I like him and think he would be a good add for the Packers in the 3/4 round range.

Ian Thomas, Indiana - He is a natural athlete. One of the better blockers in the 2018 class. Limited route tree and will need time to develop and is on the shorter side for TE's at 6'3". 3rd round

Troy Fumagalli, Wisconsin - Excellent hands and makes the tough catches. Has played out of the backfield as an H-back. Some medical. Is on the Packers radar, they have used one of their 30 visits to GB on him. Because he hasn't workout, I really don't have a good feel where he gets drafted. Guessing 5th-7th.

Jordan Thomas, Mississippi State - Excellent height/weight/speed player (6'5", 265 pounds, 4.74-second 40-yard dash). Raw prospect who is going to take time to develop. Former basketball player who has played some OT also. 7th/UDFA

Deon Yelder, Western Kentucky - Well schooled in the passing game. Used almost completely in a spread formation, rarely used as a blocker. The Packers have used one of their 30 visits on him also, they do have interest. 7th/UDFA

Andrew Vollert, Weber State - Tall (6' 5.5"), fast (4.62/40) recieving TE. Dominated lower level foes, has shown the ability to attack the middle of the field. 7th/UDFA

At first glance I thought this was going to be a good class of TE's, but in reality it is a below-average group from a depth standpoint for what the Packers historically draft. If they don't move on someone in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, the pickings get thin very fast.     

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 01:36:47 PM »
TE's possibly on the Packers board.

Mike Gesicki, Penn State - Elite athlete (41.5" vertical) with ideal NFL size (6'5", 247 pounds), speed (4.54/40) and strength (22 reps). Outstanding red-zone target. May get pulled into the 1st, probably 2nd rounder.

Hayden Hurst, South Carolina - Is probably the #1 TE on some boards, has the most complete game of any TE in this draft. Age is probably his biggest negative, he will be a 25 YO rookie. 2nd rounder.

Dallas Goedert, South Dakota State - Cannot say for sure that he is a qualifier with the Packers, he has yet to run a 40 and that would be a projection for them. Dominated FCS level, excellent athleticism for the position, runs a complete route tree. Also fits in that 2nd round range.

Mark Andrews, Oklahoma - More pass catcher than a complete TE. Not as athletic as the first 3, but is very crafty in the passing game. Bit of a poor mans Jimmy Graham right now. Some medical. I like him and think he would be a good add for the Packers in the 3/4 round range.

Ian Thomas, Indiana - He is a natural athlete. One of the better blockers in the 2018 class. Limited route tree and will need time to develop and is on the shorter side for TE's at 6'3". 3rd round

Troy Fumagalli, Wisconsin - Excellent hands and makes the tough catches. Has played out of the backfield as an H-back. Some medical. Is on the Packers radar, they have used one of their 30 visits to GB on him. Because he hasn't workout, I really don't have a good feel where he gets drafted. Guessing 5th-7th.

Jordan Thomas, Mississippi State - Excellent height/weight/speed player (6'5", 265 pounds, 4.74-second 40-yard dash). Raw prospect who is going to take time to develop. Former basketball player who has played some OT also. 7th/UDFA

Deon Yelder, Western Kentucky - Well schooled in the passing game. Used almost completely in a spread formation, rarely used as a blocker. The Packers have used one of their 30 visits on him also, they do have interest. 7th/UDFA

Andrew Vollert, Weber State - Tall (6' 5.5"), fast (4.62/40) recieving TE. Dominated lower level foes, has shown the ability to attack the middle of the field. 7th/UDFA

At first glance I thought this was going to be a good class of TE's, but in reality it is a below-average group from a depth standpoint for what the Packers historically draft. If they don't move on someone in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, the pickings get thin very fast.     

I read earlier (before the combine), that the Packers had an interest in TE Breneman out of UMass.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2018, 09:32:50 AM »
From RT's earlier post

"Justin Reid, Stanford - A fast, fluid, versatile safety who tested very well at the combine. Could easily fill the slot roll and has the size to be a effective blitzer. Would make a good Packer. 2nd rounder"

I'm interested whether Eric Reid's protest and advocacy issues end up affecting Justin's draft stock.    Despite being a more than capable NFL player Eric, like Kaep, is struggling to find a place.   Will the fact that Eric is Justin's brother drop him down draft boards?     

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2018, 09:43:51 AM »
From RT's earlier post

"Justin Reid, Stanford - A fast, fluid, versatile safety who tested very well at the combine. Could easily fill the slot roll and has the size to be a effective blitzer. Would make a good Packer. 2nd rounder"

I'm interested whether Eric Reid's protest and advocacy issues end up affecting Justin's draft stock.    Despite being a more than capable NFL player Eric, like Kaep, is struggling to find a place.   Will the fact that Eric is Justin's brother drop him down draft boards?   

I think that is a fair question, will it be guilt by family ties? A person would hope not, but each decision maker will have a little different slant on it. If a team has 2 players fairly even in rating and one is Reid, is it enough to make them select the other player?   

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2018, 10:43:33 AM »
Many of RT's selections have plenty of interest from the Packers, and/or are one of the designated 30 visitors to the Packers facility.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"