April 20, 2018, 03:53:10 AM

Author Topic: Packers opener  (Read 1134 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Packers opener
« on: March 26, 2018, 02:04:50 PM »
The Packers have home games with the Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Atlanta Falcons

And

The Packers have road games with the Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Los Angeles Rams, Seattle Seahawks, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Washington Redskins

Would it be better to open at home or on the road? Who would you like to see them open with? The NFL has scheduled the Packers-Seahawks twice in the last 4 years as an opener and once as the second game of the season. Do they send them to Seattle to open the season this year? The Packers have 3 road trips to the east coast and 2 trips to the west coast this year. They will collect a lot of air miles this season. Would it wise to get one of those trips out of the way to start the season?   

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Packers opener
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 02:27:26 PM »
Just maybe Packers at Patriots on opening monday night. Rodgers vs. Brady to close opening weekend on primetime does make sense. Could it be?

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 03:00:59 PM »
I will say either the Bears or Lions.  Chicago @ Green Bay or the Packers @ Detroit. 

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 03:08:04 PM »
Just maybe Packers at Patriots on opening monday night. Rodgers vs. Brady to close opening weekend on primetime does make sense. Could it be?

That would be a ratings dream scenario. Nice road test for the newly installed defense.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 03:35:11 PM »
I will say either the Bears or Lions.  Chicago @ Green Bay or the Packers @ Detroit.

It won't be Packers @ Lions to open, that is for sure. The Lions informed the NFL that they would need to open on the road because their is a concert scheduled at their stadium opening weekend.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 04:25:14 PM »
It likely wont be the Queens.  SI is reporting the Queens will open at Philly on Thurs Sep 6.  Great matchup to open.  Its not official until the schedule is released.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 10:36:07 AM »
I'm guessing it will be the Cardinals (some recent playoff history with them) or Seattle (pretty good rivalry).

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 10:46:09 AM »
I'm guessing it will be the Cardinals (some recent playoff history with them) or Seattle (pretty good rivalry).

I like the idea of opening with the Cardinals at home. New coach, new QB, them traveling 2 timezones east. Good chance to get off on the right foot in the 2018 season.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 09:56:59 AM »
Forgot that the NFL has 2 monday night games opening weekend. Thinking Packers @ Patriots may well fill the sunday night slot instead of monday night. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 10:42:53 AM »
Forgot that the NFL has 2 monday night games opening weekend. Thinking Packers @ Patriots may well fill the sunday night slot instead of monday night.

Packers/Pats would be a great opening matchup. Either Sunday night or Monday. Good call, RT. Hopefully, the NFL agrees. They usually release the schedule about a week before the draft, and the NFL Channel will undoubtedly have exclusive rights to its unveiling.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 05:14:10 PM »
I am not quite as optimistic about getting a prime time game after last season.  Non playoff teams don't usually get those slots on opening weekend - but the Packers may be the exception to that rule.   If so - didn't the Vikings open at the 49ers two years ago in the late Monday night game?  I think that would be the only time slot they could get - so maybe Packers @ Seattle. 

#1 prediction @ Detroit
#2 prediction Chicago @ home
#3 prediction Atlanta @ home

All in the 3:25 time slot.   

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 06:20:02 PM »
I am not quite as optimistic about getting a prime time game after last season.  Non playoff teams don't usually get those slots on opening weekend - but the Packers may be the exception to that rule.   If so - didn't the Vikings open at the 49ers two years ago in the late Monday night game?  I think that would be the only time slot they could get - so maybe Packers @ Seattle. 

#1 prediction @ Detroit
#2 prediction Chicago @ home
#3 prediction Atlanta @ home

All in the 3:25 time slot.   

I guess you missed it, but if you read the thread it has been stated why no one will open at Detroit.

Playoffs or not, the Packers still are a top draw for TV ratings.

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 07:36:55 PM »
I did miss it - so I will go to #2 if that is ok.  My money for the Sunday night game of opening weekend is on New England @ Jacksonville.  Two playoff teams there and after the AFC title game last year, that will be a highly anticipated rematch.  The early reports of the first game reportedly is Minnesota @ Philly and that makes sense. 

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 09:43:39 AM »
division games are mostly played after halloween. Detroit and Chicago will be late season games.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 02:36:24 PM »
division games are mostly played after halloween. Detroit and Chicago will be late season games.

The Packers opened in Chicago a couple of seasons ago coming off of the Conference Championship debacle in Seattle.  The new and improved Bears with a new coach renewing the longest running rivalry with their arch enemy.  Just like 2015 - that would be the early kickoff headline game the first Sunday of the season.