April 20, 2018, 03:51:15 AM

Author Topic: Packers opener  (Read 1133 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Packers opener
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 04:41:47 PM »
division games are mostly played after halloween. Detroit and Chicago will be late season games.

The Packers opened in Chicago a couple of seasons ago coming off of the Conference Championship debacle in Seattle.  The new and improved Bears with a new coach renewing the longest running rivalry with their arch enemy.  Just like 2015 - that would be the early kickoff headline game the first Sunday of the season.

I could live with the Bears, always a nice advantage to play a new coach right out of the box.

If I recall correct, MM's first game as a HC was against the Bears. I think it was 26-0 *ss whoopin' taken by the Packers. MM payback?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 04:54:05 PM by RT »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 10:22:51 AM »
I know this is hardly a hot topic, but the Packers will probably release their preseason schedule in the next few days. Is their anyone you would like to see them play? Home or away. They have never played the Texans in the preseason, a visit to GB is a game I would like to see on the schedule.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 12:49:51 PM »
This is from Rob Demovsky of ESPN,

Team president Mark Murphy told ESPN on Monday that he put in a formal request to the NFL for the Packers to open the regular season at home.
A source said that request was expected to be granted, and that the Packers were being strongly considered for the Sunday night prime-time game in Week 1.

"We're hopeful," Murphy said. "I think a home game to start the [100th] season is pretty significant."

The NFL regular-season schedule is expected to be released next week. In addition to their three NFC North opponents, the Packers will host the Cardinals, 49ers, Bills, Dolphins and Falcons.

Looks like a sunday night game is a strong possiblity, but at home and not on the road with the Patriots.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 01:02:49 PM »
I forgot the 100th season thing.

Bears@Packers is my guess. History.

If the Bears-Packers rivalry had adopted in its early days a trophy that would belong to the team that leads the all-time series, the trophy would have remained in Chicago. For more than eight decades.

The rivalry began in 1921 and is the league's most played, with 196 regular-season and post-season games. After the Bears built a 7-1-1 lead to start the series and the Packers embarked on a 7-0-1 streak, the two sides went back and forth until 1933, when the Bears knotted it at 11-11-3 in the first game of the season, took the lead in the second game, and stretched it to two games in the third meeting of the year between the two teams.

The worm began to turn in a major way as of 1992, the year the Brett Favre era began. Favre’s Chicago experience began in less-than-stellar fashion, with the Bears beating the Packers 30-10 in their own building. Since then, however, the Packers have beaten the Bears 35 of 45 times. Under Aaron Rodgers, the Packers have won 16 of 20.

The Packers now lead the series 96-94-6 — a full 84 years after Green Bay last had the edge.

The rivalry is not the league's longest continuous rivalry, as the 1982 strike-shortened NFL season did not include a Bears–Packers game. That title goes to the rivalry between the Lions and the Packers, who have played each other at least twice a year since 1932.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 01:08:39 PM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!