April 20, 2018, 03:57:41 AM

Author Topic: Right Guard  (Read 1331 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Right Guard
« on: March 28, 2018, 09:23:02 AM »
No!!!...........................Not the deodorant!  ;D ;)

Read today the Packers are still talking with Jahri Evans about coming back. He is weighing retiring or playing one more season. Stay tuned.

Packers also feel good about Justin McCray and Lucas Patrick at Right Guard as well.

It's been discussed, quite heavily, that the Packers could use (as high as) a 2nd round pick to fill the RG spot (Will Hernandez is mentioned frequently).

I can't help but feel that with what they have in house (McCray/Patrick) and still talking to Evans, that drafting an OG is moving down to the latter rounds. I think they will draft someone, but it won't be an early pick as there are other "holes" that have much more urgency to be addressed.

I would not be surprised if Evans comes back, but as a backup in case of injury to someone else. That would be a Ron Wolf type move, IMO.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Re: Right Guard
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 10:34:30 AM »
I feel like it's more than likely going to be McCray or Patrick. Although we don't know how Gutey will attack the position, I highly doubt that we'd take a Guard any earlier than round 3. (Although, TT took Daryn Colledge in Round 2 a long time ago, as I recall)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 11:01:14 AM »
I'm in the camp of hoping they don't bring Evans back. The guy just can't move anymore. With him on the field the screen game is nonexistent.

Right now on the surface it would look like a battle between McCray and Patrick for the job, but don't rule Murphy out as someone who could win that job also.

From the draft keep an eye on Braden Smith from Auburn. It has been reported a couple of places that the Packers are very high on him. He is a guy that will be an quality NFL starter for a long time barring injury, IMO.  If he is still on the board in the 3rd round when the Packers select, would not be surprised if he is the pick and he becomes a day one starter.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »
I'm in the camp of hoping they don't bring Evans back. The guy just can't move anymore. With him on the field the screen game is nonexistent.

Right now on the surface it would look like a battle between McCray and Patrick for the job, but don't rule Murphy out as someone who could win that job also.

From the draft keep an eye on Braden Smith from Auburn. It has been reported a couple of places that the Packers are very high on him. He is a guy that will be an quality NFL starter for a long time barring injury, IMO.  If he is still on the board in the 3rd round when the Packers select, would not be surprised if he is the pick and he becomes a day one starter.

I kind of had him pegged as more of a RT prospect because of his height (6-6). That's awful tall for an interior OL. DT's could give him trouble by getting under his pads. But, you're right. I did read where they were watching him closely. Maybe they view him as a swing OL, able to play G/T?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 11:56:29 AM »

I kind of had him pegged as more of a RT prospect because of his height (6-6). That's awful tall for an interior OL. DT's could give him trouble by getting under his pads. But, you're right. I did read where they were watching him closely. Maybe they view him as a swing OL, able to play G/T?

Interesting point on height. This topic got a little heated last summer when I made a similar comment about how the Packers view OL, that they don't look at it as guards and tackles but just OLinemen. Some old school guys lost their minds, but over the course of last season I believe my point was proven out. Lance Taylor started at LT, McCray made starts at both guard and tackle. The year before Spriggs started at guard. Understandable the center spot is a little different animal, but the Packers are going to play the 4 best guys they have around that center spot. That is why I believe Murphy is in play at RG even if he is 6'6".

The NFL is full of tall guys playing guard, both starters for the Colts are 6'6", both starters for the Chiefs are 6'6". Luke Joeckel for the Seahawks I think is even taller then they are. I'm guessing their are others if we comb through rosters.   

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 02:30:12 PM »
Generally we don't draft guards. We draft tackles and turn them into guard. Better flexibility that way, I imagine.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Scott1956

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 06:31:20 PM »
If they need a guard, draft a guard. Stop trying to turn tackles into guards! They drafted an actual center a few years ago, rather than drafting a guard and trying to turn him into a center. And our center is very, very good. This is part of the Packers problem with their draft and develop mentality. Draft people who have actually played the position you want them to play. First off they will develop much quicker. And you don't have to wonder if they can actually make the switch to another position. And don't tell me about guards and tackles being interchangeable, they're not. So if they need a guard, draft a guard!

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 06:33:42 PM »
If they need a guard, draft a guard. Stop trying to turn tackles into guards! They drafted an actual center a few years ago, rather than drafting a guard and trying to turn him into a center. And our center is very, very good. This is part of the Packers problem with their draft and develop mentality. Draft people who have actually played the position you want them to play. First off they will develop much quicker. And you don't have to wonder if they can actually make the switch to another position. And don't tell me about guards and tackles being interchangeable, they're not. So if they need a guard, draft a guard!

Yes was thinking the exact same thing.  They like flexibility get that but we need a starter not a versatile back up.   

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 07:42:52 PM »

We've been doing thiss for several years now, and we've consistently had one of the better OLs. I think it's disingenuous to be judging at this point.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 07:42:01 PM »
I actually would like us to draft a guard fairly high.

If we can get Hernandez in the second, I would take him.

Heck Quentin Nelson is a top five player, supposed to be the best guard prospect since Zack Martin but we don't figure to get him, he will be gone way before we pick.

I look at it this way, we have to help AR any way we can.  And that includes the run game.  If we had a respectable run game, it would really take the pressure off of AR and the pass game.  So I would not be opposed to taking Hernandez in round two.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 08:12:06 PM »
I actually would like us to draft a guard fairly high.

If we can get Hernandez in the second, I would take him.

Heck Quentin Nelson is a top five player, supposed to be the best guard prospect since Zack Martin but we don't figure to get him, he will be gone way before we pick.

I look at it this way, we have to help AR any way we can.  And that includes the run game.  If we had a respectable run game, it would really take the pressure off of AR and the pass game.  So I would not be opposed to taking Hernandez in round two.

Hernandez is a fun prospect to research, he does make some crushing blocks. I would love to see him a Packer, but would not be surprised if he is not even on the Packers draft board. The last time the Packers drafted a G/T with his measurable was Bill Ferrario in 2001. 

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 08:52:29 AM »
I think it will be Evans, Patrick or McCray.  I just think with some big needs at CB, S, WR, and OLB - it is hard to take an interior lineman early in the draft.  Patrick and McCray seem to be thought of highly by the coaches and Evans did an average job.  He wasn't a standout, but didn't hurt either. 

I am a little more interested in the RT spot.  I don't think they will cut Bulaga, but he may not be ready for the opener.  Has Spriggs figured it out - or let it go with McCray again.  I think there is a better chance a tackle is taken than a guard in the draft. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 11:33:24 AM »
I think it will be Evans, Patrick or McCray.  I just think with some big needs at CB, S, WR, and OLB - it is hard to take an interior lineman early in the draft.  Patrick and McCray seem to be thought of highly by the coaches and Evans did an average job.  He wasn't a standout, but didn't hurt either. 

I am a little more interested in the RT spot.  I don't think they will cut Bulaga, but he may not be ready for the opener.  Has Spriggs figured it out - or let it go with McCray again.  I think there is a better chance a tackle is taken than a guard in the draft.

Agree on that thought about drafting an OT. But not likely any earlier than 4th/5th round unless someone special has slipped for some odd reason.

It may be Murphy who slides in at RT until Bulaga comes back. Spriggs is said to be ahead of schedule on rehab, but Murph should be even more ready since his injury happened long before Spriggs

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 03:35:13 PM »
McCray will be the guard. Bank on it

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 06:23:21 AM »
I wouldn't rule out Kofi as possible starter. He has some length and if he makes that strength jump.....could be in play for a starter position.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!