September 25, 2018, 12:59:29 AM

Author Topic: Right Guard  (Read 1906 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Right Guard
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 07:45:43 AM »
If they need a guard, draft a guard. Stop trying to turn tackles into guards! They drafted an actual center a few years ago, rather than drafting a guard and trying to turn him into a center. And our center is very, very good. This is part of the Packers problem with their draft and develop mentality. Draft people who have actually played the position you want them to play. First off they will develop much quicker. And you don't have to wonder if they can actually make the switch to another position. And don't tell me about guards and tackles being interchangeable, they're not. So if they need a guard, draft a guard!

We've been doing thiss for several years now, and we've consistently had one of the better OLs. I think it's disingenuous to be judging at this point.

It is amazing that someone is casting stones at the Packers drafting and developing of OLinemen. When how little draft capital is spent on OL in comparison to other teams and the quality of play they get from that unit year in and year out.

At one point when J.C. Tretter was starting at center, the Packers OL was made up of 5 guys that were college tackles. Which should give people a pretty good hint at what the Packers are looking for in drafts in the future. In college and all levels before that, a coach is going to take his most gifted OL prospect and put him at left tackle in most cases. So common sense should get most people to, if you want to draft the most gifted OL prospects, you are in most cases drafting left tackles.

In the Packers system guards and tackles are all just OLinemen, they are for the mostpart interchangable. Which has been proven out many time over in the past decade and none more so than last year. Taylor started at LG and LT last year, McCray started at RG and RT last year. And Spriggs started at RG and RT in the past two years.

The Packers have in the past and will again in the future draft someone who was not a tackle in college, but in those cases the players measurable and testing numbers will be comparable to the tackles being considered.

What would be hilarious in this years draft is if Quenton Nelson slipped to the Packers and they drafted him and moved him to RT. I could see peoples heads exploding when that move went public. 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 08:37:48 AM »
...What would be hilarious in this years draft is if Quenton Nelson slipped to the Packers and they drafted him and moved him to RT. I could see peoples heads exploding when that move went public.

That might be a really good outcome, actually....

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 09:33:24 AM »
...What would be hilarious in this years draft is if Quenton Nelson slipped to the Packers and they drafted him and moved him to RT. I could see peoples heads exploding when that move went public.

That might be a really good outcome, actually....

They have done a good job but also Aaron's mobility has covered up some of the O line deficiencies.  You forgot about Linsley who was a Center in college.  Worked out very nicely.  We have a hole at RG think the point was to draft a true G that can start right away rather than going through the traditional developmental process.  Can't bag on the Packers TT did a masterful job building the O-line.  Converting Tackles has worked.  As you pointed out RT college G's don't usually test out with the measurables the Packers are looking for.  Also we are a passing team not a running team so pass protection is more important in our scheme then run blocking.  So it does make sense.

Offline redfox33

• Rookie
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 06:41:45 PM »
I think it will be Evans, Patrick or McCray.  I just think with some big needs at CB, S, WR, and OLB - it is hard to take an interior lineman early in the draft.  Patrick and McCray seem to be thought of highly by the coaches and Evans did an average job.  He wasn't a standout, but didn't hurt either. 

I would bring back Evans on the cheap as insurance. The number of injuries tells me we need experienced back-up. We've done good at drafting g/t in the fourth round, lets keep the pick in earlier rounds for need.