September 25, 2018, 01:44:02 AM

Author Topic: Janis to Cleveland  (Read 2027 times)

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
Janis to Cleveland
« on: March 30, 2018, 09:56:31 AM »
Jeff Janis has signed with the Cleveland Browns.  That Packer connection is at it again.  No report on a contract yet, but not a real shocker here.  Will leave a hole in special teams that is for sure. 

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Re: Janis to Cleveland
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 09:58:20 AM »
Excellent gunner, but that only has so much value. I wish he could have developed into more of a receiver!

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 11:22:23 AM »
His loss will be felt on special teams.  Don't understand why they couldn't develop him as a receiver.  Wonder if Aaron just didn't like the kid.  When pressed into service he performed.  Route running was that the issue?  Was hoping they would bring him back.  He never really was given an opportunity IMO.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 11:29:25 AM »
I wish him all the best in CLEV.

Nice kid.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 12:37:14 PM »
That is disappointing news to me. He saved a lot of hidden yardage for the Packers with his coverage. The Packers gave up a total of 164 return yards on punts for the whole season(the Seahawks often toted unit gave up 482). Janis was involved in helping cause 24 fair catches. We think is no big deal until the other team is returning one for a TD in a tight game. Also had over 100 yard recieving on one drive in a playoff game when Rodgers had no other choice but to throw him the ball. The coverage unit got worse today.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »
He gets written off because we trust the staff's judgment and simply look at volume of plays vs production. I noticed a lot of his opportunities were on running plays. I also think his special teams value is being understated. I mean how long was Jarrett Bush on this team for his special teams presence, which wasn't nearly as high as Janis. I really think someone just didn't like him very much to have never been given the chance. Hope he has a good time in Cleveland and can break out there. I saw a tweet on the team stream, he never complained about the clear lack of opportunities on offense, just showed up and busted his tail to be one of the best gunners in the league. I'll miss him
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 01:55:47 PM »
Excellent gunner, but that only has so much value. I wish he could have developed into more of a receiver!

Janis never developed as a WR.   He was the same WR3 years ago, as he is today.  He has good straight line speed, but looked like a 80 year old man coming in and out of his cuts.  It took him forever to do a cut, he had to slow down, cut and get back to speed.  It was very choppy, and NFL DBs would be all over him on cutting routes.  A lot of your taller track type guys have the same issue.   Other than a go or fly route he never really developed.

He'll be missed on ST, but I like the move.  I think Gutes thinking move up or move out.  After last year, I think he really got a wake up call on the talent on this roster.   I hope Trevor Davis is taking notes.  They need players to develop into contributors,  ST can buy you some time, but you need to progress at your position.  Is Davis progressing as a WR?   He'll be under the microscope this year IMO.     

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 02:46:07 PM »

Janis never developed as a WR.   He was the same WR3 years ago, as he is today.  He has good straight line speed, but looked like a 80 year old man coming in and out of his cuts.  It took him forever to do a cut, he had to slow down, cut and get back to speed.  It was very choppy, and NFL DBs would be all over him on cutting routes.  A lot of your taller track type guys have the same issue.   Other than a go or fly route he never really developed.

He'll be missed on ST, but I like the move.  I think Gutes thinking move up or move out.  After last year, I think he really got a wake up call on the talent on this roster.   I hope Trevor Davis is taking notes.  They need players to develop into contributors,  ST can buy you some time, but you need to progress at your position.  Is Davis progressing as a WR?   He'll be under the microscope this year IMO.   

Thanks for the analysis GM.  Makes sense...

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 03:03:46 PM »
Janis was a fan favorite for some reason from the moment he was drafted. And he never developed as a receiver, but found a spot on ST's. Personally, I would have kept him around, similar to what the Packers did with Jarrett Bush. A liability on the offense, but very good on ST's.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 03:38:43 PM »
I think Bush was more competent on defense than Janis was on offense.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 06:10:53 PM »
The Browns are in drive mode man.

Janis is one of the best ST players in the NFC.  The guy is a first rate gunner and he can return kicks also.  We will miss him.

He will probably improve as a WR there also. 

Did we let him get away for nada?

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »
Seems an odd fit for Cleveland.  I'd thought with a million high draft picks, that their 53-man roster would be flush with young prospects with chances to be more than a gunner.  If I was them, I'd be reluctant to cut a D+D prospect with a chance to become a meaningful snaps player for a veteran gunner. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 07:17:55 PM »
The Browns are in drive mode man.

Janis is one of the best ST players in the NFC.  The guy is a first rate gunner and he can return kicks also.  We will miss him.

He will probably improve as a WR there also.  Why?

Did we let him get away for nada? Yes. He was a free agent. Maybe they should have held out for Cleveland's #!?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 07:38:14 AM »
Question?

If Janis, the WR, was as 'special' as some have maintained since he came into the League why were the Browns seemingly the only team interested?

ST's players can be replaced although I agree Janis was a good ST's guy.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 10:26:09 AM »
Janis will be hard to replace for the simple reason that he was one of the best gunners in the NFC.

He had extraordinary speed and just about perfect size for that job.

Plus, he can return kicks also.

As per his WR possibilities, I don't think the Packers ever took the time to really work with him.  Coming from where he did, that is what he needed. In Cleveland I think they will.  He will be getting a fresh start.