September 25, 2018, 12:08:23 AM

Author Topic: Cornerbacks... who do you like?  (Read 2385 times)

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
Re: Cornerbacks... who do you like?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 12:57:25 PM »
That's fair RT but it is also Pettine's job and MM's to develop an understanding of the defensive schemes they would like to employ this season.   That job additionally includes input and communication with Gute as to the best type of players that will fit within that scheme.  So absolutely correct- Pettine will never be on-the-clock.  However, Gute also isn't making picks in a vacuum without any input from the coaching staffs

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 01:32:04 PM »
I'm squarely in the corner of Jaire Alexander.   Personally, I think he's the best CB in the draft - capable of playing outside/inside and contributing on special teams in coverage or as a punt returner.    Has a bit of swagger/attitude which I like as well at that position.   Who knows though -perhaps the coaching staff has soured on that after Randall and prefers no-nonsense like a Josh Jackson.   From all I've heard he loves the game and works hard at it on/off field.  He's young at 21 years so can be in GB a long time.

Ward, Oliver, Hughes are all great.  I like Ward after Alexander in the 1st but I'd prefer Hughes and Oliver if we were using our 2nd on them or had a late 1st/early 2nd to use

Davis seems to be a press man only.  Doesn't seem very scheme versatile, but I thought the same of Turmaine Johnson and couldn't have been more wrong on him

I'm so torn on Jackson.  I want so badly to like him.  Fun to watch videos of the guy, but his Combine field work was disastrous in my opinion.   He looked like a backpedal was some foreign movement which he was attempting for the first time in his life - had to repeatedly stop-start the field drills.  I'm not sure the last time I was so excited to watch a player at the Combine and was so underwhelmed.  Looked great in drills like the gauntlet, however, and definitely exhibited his ball skills when he could move forward to the ball.  Can't say how many times I've repeated to myself "it's the game tape that matters".... but I'm still haunted.   Interesting if he's the pick as I think many view him as a better zone / cover 3 type like Seattle runs than a press scheme Pettine has run in the past

RT mentioned a couple players earlier which I really like in the mid-late rounds:  Yiadom and Nelson in the 3-4 and Tony Brown and Chachere in the later rounds.   Brown has intriguing physical tools but not sure he develops into more than a potentially great special teamer.  I'd start looking at him very late 4th into the 6th but wouldn't want to spend an earlier pick on just his athletic profile.  Chachere might be a 6-7 rnd guy, most think he looked better in '16 than in '17.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 06:40:11 PM »
I'm squarely in the corner of Jaire Alexander.   Personally, I think he's the best CB in the draft - capable of playing outside/inside and contributing on special teams in coverage or as a punt returner.    Has a bit of swagger/attitude which I like as well at that position.   Who knows though -perhaps the coaching staff has soured on that after Randall and prefers no-nonsense like a Josh Jackson.   From all I've heard he loves the game and works hard at it on/off field.  He's young at 21 years so can be in GB a long time.

Ward, Oliver, Hughes are all great.  I like Ward after Alexander in the 1st but I'd prefer Hughes and Oliver if we were using our 2nd on them or had a late 1st/early 2nd to use

Davis seems to be a press man only.  Doesn't seem very scheme versatile, but I thought the same of Turmaine Johnson and couldn't have been more wrong on him

I'm so torn on Jackson.  I want so badly to like him.  Fun to watch videos of the guy, but his Combine field work was disastrous in my opinion.   He looked like a backpedal was some foreign movement which he was attempting for the first time in his life - had to repeatedly stop-start the field drills.  I'm not sure the last time I was so excited to watch a player at the Combine and was so underwhelmed.  Looked great in drills like the gauntlet, however, and definitely exhibited his ball skills when he could move forward to the ball.  Can't say how many times I've repeated to myself "it's the game tape that matters".... but I'm still haunted.   Interesting if he's the pick as I think many view him as a better zone / cover 3 type like Seattle runs than a press scheme Pettine has run in the past

RT mentioned a couple players earlier which I really like in the mid-late rounds:  Yiadom and Nelson in the 3-4 and Tony Brown and Chachere in the later rounds.   Brown has intriguing physical tools but not sure he develops into more than a potentially great special teamer.  I'd start looking at him very late 4th into the 6th but wouldn't want to spend an earlier pick on just his athletic profile.  Chachere might be a 6-7 rnd guy, most think he looked better in '16 than in '17.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/09/richard-sherman-wants-next-team-to-have-a-great-qb/

Pettine spent last year as a consultant for the Seahawks, so there’s a baseline level of familiarity there, even if Pettine prefers to play mostly press-man coverage and Sherman is a master of the Cover-3 zone coverage. Certainly, Pettine could adjust the way he approaches coverage schemes to incorporate a player like Sherman.

https://www.totalpackers.com/2018/01/people-really-love-mike-pettine/

In the same vein, Pettine’s system isn’t a total departure from Dom Capers’. It’s still a 3-4 and it will still rely on the blitz. Maybe the biggest change is more press-man coverage. And that could be the biggest issue. The Packers’ cornerbacks aren’t really known as physical.

I'd be glad to find more references about Pettine preferring press-man types for his defense.

If Gute doesn't take a CB in the 1st round, AND, if Cartlon Davis is still on the board at #45, I'd bet that Pettine is whispering his name in Gute's ear.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 07:41:13 AM »
No need for any more of the references Danno, I'm familiar -- re-read the section on Josh Jackson where I said "Interesting if he's the pick as I think many view him as a better zone / cover 3 type like Seattle runs than a press scheme Pettine has run in the past"

I don't dislike Davis - I just think he's a little more limited in what he can do - he just may be very good at that though.   With offenses becoming more creative, moving players around, increasing use of bunch formations, greater limitations on downfield contact by the DB - I just think an early-round CB needs to have a different skill-set.
Personally, I prefer some of the other CB's early and think you can get a comparable type player like Hill later in the draft.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 09:47:29 AM »
No need for any more of the references Danno, I'm familiar -- re-read the section on Josh Jackson where I said "Interesting if he's the pick as I think many view him as a better zone / cover 3 type like Seattle runs than a press scheme Pettine has run in the past"

I don't dislike Davis - I just think he's a little more limited in what he can do - he just may be very good at that though.   With offenses becoming more creative, moving players around, increasing use of bunch formations, greater limitations on downfield contact by the DB - I just think an early-round CB needs to have a different skill-set.
Personally, I prefer some of the other CB's early and think you can get a comparable type player like Hill later in the draft.

Sorry, but I can be a dick at times.  :-[

I was trying to emphasize that Pettine tends to favor press-man coverage, and thought it would make sense for a guy like Davis to be under strong consideration.

Most likely it's going to boil down to what kind of Edge rushers Pettine ends up with, which will then lead to what kinds of cornerbacks he will require to make it all work.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 10:12:04 AM »

Sorry, but I can be a dick at times.  :-[

I was trying to emphasize that Pettine tends to favor press-man coverage, and thought it would make sense for a guy like Davis to be under strong consideration.

Most likely it's going to boil down to what kind of Edge rushers Pettine ends up with, which will then lead to what kinds of cornerbacks he will require to make it all work.

Danno in all due respect, you have a very good record of ferreting out Packers draft picks in the past and you may well be correct on Davis also, but I'm not sure he is on the Packers board or if he is may be downgraded to a 3rd day pick because of his short area testing and limits with scheme. I will admit that I have watch about 5 minutes of iso plays (25-30) of him, but the common theme seems to be if he does not win at the line of scrimmage bad things happen. Personally, I will be surprised if he go's in the first 2 rounds, betting teams are not as high on him as the media is.   

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 08:32:39 PM »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 05:36:04 PM »
The more I research this CB group, the more I like it. This is a very deep group of CB's and their will be solid picks made deep into the 3rd day. The Packers may take a corner in the first or second round, but I'm not sure that the right course of action isn't waiting and addressing the position like they did with the RB's last year. Their should be a very solid front 7 pick available in the first round and in the second their is probably going to be a run on a very good group of WR's.

I know that it is not the current conventional thinking amongst the fans. Resent history should also teach us that what fans perceive as the biggest draft needs isn't necessarily a shared point of view with Packers management. At this time last year their was much discussion about Mixon and Lamp as picks early because we had no RB's and perceived holes on the OL. As it turned out the first RB was taken in the 4th round and the only OL in the 6th.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 07:38:21 PM »
Another Carleton Davis opinion.

Ben Fennell

@BenFennell_NFL
 11h11 hours ago
More
Mike Hughes, MJ Stewart, DJ Reed, Nick Nelson - all slightly undersized (height/length/strides) and lack long speed... I don't want to just keep saying 'he'll be a nickel'

But IMO, Carlton Davis has the size/speed combo - but these guys are better corners!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2018, 09:34:43 AM »
And another..................

https://www.myajc.com/sports/football/auburn-davis-smith-are-top-nfl-prospects/oSUhaO8RLq1u3AejjVsgBL/

Davis, who’s 6-foot-1 and 204 pounds, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.45 and 4.5 seconds. He used his combine times in the other events, but did the positional drills.

He’s consider the best of the big cornerbacks in the draft or ranked right after Iowa’s Josh Jackson. Ohio State’s Denzel Ward, who’s smaller, is considered the top cornerback in the draft, which is set for April 26-28 in Arlington, Texas.

Davis wants to be selected in the first round of the draft.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »
As RT stated above, this is such a DEEP class. At first glance, there's no "sure fire" top guy, but there are SO many very good players that will likely be available through at LEAST Round 3. In fact, if the Packers don't take a CB in the first round, no one should panic.

Some of my favorites after further review:

1.) Josh Jackson (1st Round) - As close as one can get to a consensus "Top overall CB". I think he'd be a phenomenal pairing with King in our new defense.

2.) Isaiah Oliver (Mid 1st to Early 2nd) - My personal favorite and I think underrated. He fits all of the criteria of a long, physical press CB.

3.) Parry Nickerson (Mid Rounds) - He doesn't have ideal size (5'10" and 180 lbs), but his speed (playing, timed and make up) is phenomenal. I think he'd challenge for playing time as a 3rd or 4th CB immediately.

4.) Greg Stroman (Mid Rounds) - He doesn't have elite size or athleticism, but he just doesn't get beat often and has great ball skills (4 INTs and 11 PBUs in 2017). I think he'd definitely challenge for playing time as a 3rd or 4th CB as his rookie season progressed.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 06:16:22 AM »
we've thrown a lot of picks at db's in the early rds.  I do like Jackson from LSU if he drops to us in rd 2.

LAter rds. JAlen Davis, Utah State

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 07:24:31 AM »
we've thrown a lot of picks at db's in the early rds.  I do like Jackson from LSU if he drops to us in rd 2.

LAter rds. JAlen Davis, Utah State

Donte Jackson, LSU - 5'10"/ 178
Jalen Davis, Utah State - 5'9"/ 181

When was the last time the Packers drafted a CB that small? The '80's?

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2018, 09:22:52 AM »
If I had to guess on the height size, I'd say Craig Newsome or the guy we cut who's an all pro in San Diego now.  I know a lot of teams like bigger corners.  I think the bigger question is when is the last time we had an all pro CB Shields?

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 05:25:40 PM »

Donte Jackson, LSU - 5'10"/ 178
Jalen Davis, Utah State - 5'9"/ 181

When was the last time the Packers drafted a CB that small? The '80's?

I believe the last time was Ahmad Carroll.  Unforgettable for all the wrong reasons.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."