July 16, 2018, 05:12:49 AM

Author Topic: Who do you take?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Noble Warrior

• Second String
Who do you take?
« on: April 03, 2018, 10:16:37 PM »
These guys are still on the board at 14:

Roquan Smith
Vita Vea
Quenton Nelson
Calvin Ridley
Derwin James
Josh Jackson
Da'Ron Payne
Marcus Davenport
Connor Williams
Mike McGlinchey
Harold Landry
Tremaine Edmunds

Who do you take?

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
Re: Who do you take?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 10:20:21 PM »
If that's the board, Smith or Edmunds
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 05:46:30 AM »
This exact thread has already been started. 'The Packers 1st draft choice' thread has a list of the same players and a poll to vote.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 08:37:41 AM »
This exact thread has already been started. 'The Packers 1st draft choice' thread has a list of the same players and a poll to vote.

Not exactly....more names here to choose from.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 08:50:58 AM »

Not exactly....more names here to choose from.

There is a other vote button and an open forum to discuss those other options. Just sayin'.

Offline mtsportsfan

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 04:55:41 PM »
Hard to pick, but I really like Roquan Smith, sideline to sideline speed. It seemed every game that I seen him in, he made a impact .

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 09:11:38 AM »
Smith looks to be a great player, he just seems redundant to Martinez - who proved plenty capable last season.   I don't think you can have Martinez and Smith playing together and Smith may be an upgrade over Martinez...but how much?   If the Pack were to look at ILB early (which the team annually tortures me by not doing) I'd hope it was a player like Edmunds or Vander Esch, which seem a better fit alongside Martinez and would be a replacement of Ryan -which I wholeheartedly endorse.  They would also be potentially capable of filling in for Matthews and Perry during their inevitable missed games

Strictly from those players listed above - I'd go Edmunds, Davenport, James

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 09:56:07 AM »
Smith looks to be a great player, he just seems redundant to Martinez - who proved plenty capable last season.   I don't think you can have Martinez and Smith playing together and Smith may be an upgrade over Martinez...but how much?   If the Pack were to look at ILB early (which the team annually tortures me by not doing) I'd hope it was a player like Edmunds or Vander Esch, which seem a better fit alongside Martinez and would be a replacement of Ryan -which I wholeheartedly endorse.  They would also be potentially capable of filling in for Matthews and Perry during their inevitable missed games

Agree with this sentiment whole heartedly. Would love to see either Edmunds or Vander Esch in the 1st round (which makes the OP's list incomplete, IMO).
Both these players are sideline to sideline players, with excellent coverage abilities, and can play both inside as well as outside for scheme versatility/flexibility.

Anyone thinking Vander Esch isn't worthy of #14 spot only needs to read that he has personal team visits set up for everyday from now until the draft. That type of interest in a player from teams isn't typically reserved for players outside the top 20, let alone the 1st round.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 06:32:02 AM »
Nelson....not a playmaker, but would be the best lineman for the Packers for 10 years.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 06:37:19 AM »
Nelson....not a playmaker, but would be the best lineman for the Packers for 10 years.

Agree Hands, Nelson would be a great pick if he slipped down to them. He is near the top of the list of players I would love to see wearing the green & gold next year.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 11:48:55 AM »
Nelson would be plug/play for the next 12 years.

But it does exacerbate the already existing deficiencies at CB, Edge, WR and could push finding solutions to those positions into 2019-2020 or later.

McCray, while maybe not dominant, is an ascending and young prospect, and Patrick would be a steady backup. Adding Evans later in TC like last year could be an option as well. But he would only be signed as an injury replacement insurance.

I can see the BPA logic philosophy in play with Nelson, but get a headache from not filling in the blanks at Edge/CB/WR.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 09:37:11 AM »

I like Smith, Edmund's and Vander Esch, but to say you don't think Smith will be any better or add quality to the middle with Martinez there is just, well, I can't even describe how inaccurate that is. Smith was a star on a star-studded defense in the premier college football program on this planet. His game tape shows his ability, a lot more than Martinez college tape showed. If it weren't for so many QBs,  smith would be a top ten pick, very well still could be. Martinez had lots of tackles in a defensive system designed to herd the ball carrier to the MLB. Shocker. He still got beat to the edge by the faster backs in the league, and blew coverage on RBs a lot. He also looked lost in his own zone. Even if Martinez is as good as some think he is,  adding a player next to him in the middle who will be at least as good, if not better, isnt going to hurt your defense.

I thinks smith and Edmunds will be gone by 14. So this really is a non-issue. Vander Esch may be  a reach at 14 in this draft even though he is a good player. I personally think they will go with Davenport if he is there, simply because of his upside. Bob Fox's article about the draft and his ranking on the horizontal board is telling. Other guys in play at 14 are Josh Jackson and Vita Vea.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 09:54:29 AM »
Considering the depth of the Cornerback class in this year's draft, I really think we have to take someone that can contribute to the pass rush in Round 1, especially if you have a supposed Elite player available. (Landry, Davenport, Edmunds)

(**Obviously if someone ridiculous like Saquon Barkley dropped you'd take him, but there's a low chance of that**)

Personally, my preference is for Landry, but I'd probably jump on Edmunds if he were available. I go back and forth on Davenport.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 03:11:41 PM »
I'm still on the Vander Esch bandwagon.

Draft Scout has Landry and VE rated as the #2 - #3 OLB's (respectively), while NFL.com gives Landry a draft grade of 6.15 and Vander Esch a higher grade of 6.25.

To me Landry is an Edge only player, and while that has high value this year, VE has positional versatility in that that he is projected to be able to play both ILB and OLB. Plus, Landry may be at, or is near, his ceiling while VE projects to have a much higher ceiling than Landry.

Both are very good players and I would be happy with either, but my preference (if both are still available at #14) is Vander Esch.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 03:47:21 PM »
I will need to re-watch Vander Esch. I remember was a beast vs. Oregon (Las Vegas Bowl)