September 25, 2018, 04:32:03 AM

Author Topic: Will the Packers and Browns Do Business Again During the 2018 NFL Draft?  (Read 812 times)

Offline Bob Fox

• All Pro
Will the Green Bay Packers and Cleveland Browns Do Business Again During the 2018 NFL Draft?

By Bob Fox

General manager Brian Gutekunst of the Green Bay Packers and general manager John Dorsey of the Cleveland Browns worked together in the scouting department of the Packers for 13 years.

Plus, Eliot Wolf, who is now assistant general manager of the Browns, and Alonzo Highsmith, who is now vice president of the Browns, also spent many years together with Gutekunst in the Green Bay scouting department.

Those associations led to a trade the two teams made in early March, when the Packers dealt cornerback Damarious Randall for quarterback DeShone Kizer of the Browns, plus the teams swapped of picks in both the fourth and fifth rounds of the 2018 NFL draft.

That meant that the Packers will have the first pick in both the fourth and fifth rounds of the upcoming draft.

Could there be another deal made between the two teams during the draft?

I’m thinking that there could be.

The Packers have 12 selections in the draft this year, which includes their own picks in each of the seven rounds of the draft, plus have four compensatory picks (one in the fourth round, two in the fifth round and one in the sixth round), plus have another pick in the seventh round due to a trade.

The Browns only have nine picks in the draft, plus the team doesn’t have a selection in either the third or seventh round. But don’t go feeling sorry for the Browns, as they have the first and fourth selection of the draft in the first round, plus have the first and third selections of the second round of the draft.

It is at the beginning of the second round where I could see the Packers doing a maneuver with the Browns.

To read the rest of the story, please go to:

https://greenbaybobfox.wordpress.com/2018/04/06/will-the-green-bay-packers-and-cleveland-browns-do-business-again-during-the-2018-nfl-draft/

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Completely agree with you about the chances of doing more business with Cleveland.

I'm going to break my arm patting myself on the back, but in a post here on Feb. 20th I noted the same thing. I have come to think it is almost a given that if the right player is there at 33 or 35 that the Packers will move into one of those slots. Another thing to consider, with the Browns knowledge of the Packers players, that a player could be included in a swap of picks and possibly lowering the draft capital to move up.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
The only position group deep enough, that I can think of, where they may involve a player as part of the trade capital would be the DL.

It would have to mean that the Packers would have picked Vita Vea at #14 and have decided either Lowry or Adams would be potential trade capital.

Not sure how I would feel about that kind of a deal.

You got anyone else in mind RT?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
The only position group deep enough, that I can think of, where they may involve a player as part of the trade capital would be the DL.

It would have to mean that the Packers would have picked Vita Vea at #14 and have decided either Lowry or Adams would be potential trade capital.

Not sure how I would feel about that kind of a deal.

You got anyone else in mind RT?

I had a different line of thinking. I wasn't thinking the player was the major trade piece, but a suppliment to a second draft pick. We don't know the players that Wolf and Highsmith think highly of, the players that they pounded the table for to aquire. Or who BG and MM feel like they can do without.

Pick values,
33=580
45=450
130 point value difference
101=96
138=37
Rather than the Packers giving up the 1st picks in the 4th and 5th rounds, maybe the 4th rounder and McCray or Lucas or Brice. McCray it is well known he was a deep dig find by Highsmith. Maybe it is someone else, it needs to work for both sides. Is Spriggs someone the Packers have grown tired of waiting for him to mature? I'm not pretending to know who the player would be, but their is no secrets being kept from Cleveland and that should make a deal with a player a better possibility.

Offline footballdad

• Rookie
If he was not needed so badly by the Pack, I could see Clay Matthews being part of a draft day trade. It would be huge in Cleveland seeing that his Dad is a Browns icon.
Bet the jersey would be a big seller.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
That would be a shocker, IMO.

I would hope they would look to get more than 130 points on the draft chart for CM3.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
We won't trade CM3 that's not even worth discussion.  Who are you going to replace him with?  A rook?  Biegel?  Fackrell?  No he's still one of our best players on D and we will need him this year.  Not happening. 

Offline footballdad

• Rookie
That is why I said "if he wasn't needed so badly". Just saying it would be a big story line in Cleveland.