April 20, 2018, 04:00:25 AM

Author Topic: Dark Horse - Offensive Tackle?  (Read 238 times)

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Dark Horse - Offensive Tackle?
« on: April 12, 2018, 09:53:48 AM »
I'm not talking about "1st Round" but I think it could definitely happen as early as Round 2, despite our being in the midst of a defensive makeover.

Why? Two words: Aaron Rodgers. In terms of "value to his team" he is the overwhelming reason we win as many games as we do. More so than any other player in the league (to his respective team). Keeping him clean and upright is one of THE most important factors to winning games.

The depth/injury situation is not completely dire at Offensive Tackle, but it's not "solid" either.

Bryan Bulaga - Coming off of a 2nd ACL injury and is 29 years old. He's also has a high cap number around $8 mil. Don't get me wrong, he's great when healthy, but he's likely not going to be ready to start the season.

Jason Spriggs - Another guy coming off an injury (hamstring tear in the preseason, came back late and had a dislocated knee cap in Week 16) and may not be ready for camp as well. The main difference here is that Spriggs has shown very little to warrant extended playing time.

Kyle Murphy - Another Tackle, another injury (foot injury landed him on IR in October). I wasn't able to find his status for the offseason/camp. He was adequate as an emergency fill-in after Bulaga was hurt, but would have to make a size-able jump to solidify the right side.

That being said, we have no idea how Gutekunst views the position and it's depth. I don't think he'll view it in a drastically different light than Thompson and they must know that they desperately need to add talent.

What do you guys think? Who do you like in the draft? Any early guys? Any mid-round gems?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Dark Horse - Offensive Tackle?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 02:33:17 PM »
I'm not talking about "1st Round" but I think it could definitely happen as early as Round 2, despite our being in the midst of a defensive makeover.

Why? Two words: Aaron Rodgers. In terms of "value to his team" he is the overwhelming reason we win as many games as we do. More so than any other player in the league (to his respective team). Keeping him clean and upright is one of THE most important factors to winning games.

The depth/injury situation is not completely dire at Offensive Tackle, but it's not "solid" either.

Bryan Bulaga - Coming off of a 2nd ACL injury and is 29 years old. He's also has a high cap number around $8 mil. Don't get me wrong, he's great when healthy, but he's likely not going to be ready to start the season.

Jason Spriggs - Another guy coming off an injury (hamstring tear in the preseason, came back late and had a dislocated knee cap in Week 16) and may not be ready for camp as well. The main difference here is that Spriggs has shown very little to warrant extended playing time.

Kyle Murphy - Another Tackle, another injury (foot injury landed him on IR in October). I wasn't able to find his status for the offseason/camp. He was adequate as an emergency fill-in after Bulaga was hurt, but would have to make a size-able jump to solidify the right side.

That being said, we have no idea how Gutekunst views the position and it's depth. I don't think he'll view it in a drastically different light than Thompson and they must know that they desperately need to add talent.

What do you guys think? Who do you like in the draft? Any early guys? Any mid-round gems?

Not sure what is meant by dark horse, but their is not many tackles in this draft that meet the Packers standards for OLinemen.

Mike McGlinchey and Kolton Miller are guys that will get their names called in the 1st round to early 2nd round. Brian O'Neill, Pitt is a tackle projected as a 2/3 round guy. Joseph Noteboom was a guy a few weeks ago I thought would be a good 3rd day steal, but I see some sites have bumped him up to a 3rd round projection. Couple of days ago I heard some draft talk shows guest use Noteboom as his potental steal of the draft. Brett Toth from Army is a 3rd day guy I am still hoping the Packers take, even if they need to sit on him until his army commitment is up. 

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 02:42:25 PM »
All that I meant by "dark horse" was that the a lot of the pre-draft focus has been on Defense and Receiver and you don't hear much about OT being a need, despite there being a LOT of questions marks in terms of starters and depth (obviously not a question about Bakhtiari).

I'd have to think that it has to be a priority at the moment.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 02:48:33 PM »
2nd round seems unlikely. It's not a strong class, Kolton Miller might be there for them, but it seems unlikely he gets by the Browns in the 2nd round with Joe Thomas' retirement. With Miller being the only viable and value match in the 2nd round, IMO, I would focus on another position. There will be a lot of talented players for Green Bay in the 2nd round, and it does seem foolish to reach for a Tackle.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 03:34:36 PM »
Not sure what is meant by dark horse, but their is not many tackles in this draft that meet the Packers standards for OLinemen.

Mike McGlinchey and Kolton Miller are guys that will get their names called in the 1st round to early 2nd round. Brian O'Neill, Pitt is a tackle projected as a 2/3 round guy. Joseph Noteboom was a guy a few weeks ago I thought would be a good 3rd day steal, but I see some sites have bumped him up to a 3rd round projection. Couple of days ago I heard some draft talk shows guest use Noteboom as his potental steal of the draft. Brett Toth from Army is a 3rd day guy I am still hoping the Packers take, even if they need to sit on him until his army commitment is up.

Draft Scout, which is usually pretty reliable where they rank players, still has Brandon Parker (12th) and Joseph Noteboom (13th) listed as 4th-5th round OT candidates.

Could they go earlier? Of course.

But if either was still there at the end of the 4th round, I'd love to see GB snag one of them with that comp pick.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »

Draft Scout, which is usually pretty reliable where they rank players, still has Brandon Parker (12th) and Joseph Noteboom (13th) listed as 4th-5th round OT candidates.

Could they go earlier? Of course.

But if either was still there at the end of the 4th round, I'd love to see GB snag one of them with that comp pick.

I could easily get on board with that.

Offline footballdad

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 02:27:28 AM »
3rd round or so - Crosby, 4th round or later.......Senat and/or Cappa.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 08:00:27 AM »
I'm on board with an early OT - ideally 4th round but okay if a good one is taken in 2nd or 3rd -- like if Kolton Miller falls.   I would prefer the team not look at guard prospects until 4th round or later (even if Nelson or Hernandez fall)