September 25, 2018, 02:11:24 AM

Author Topic: Dez Bryant  (Read 4834 times)

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
Dez Bryant
« on: April 13, 2018, 09:44:53 AM »
I'll be the first to throw it out there.   Doesn't help speed issues but I'd rather have Bryant running on the 1st unit with Adams, Cobb and Graham than a rookie.     Sign a nice 1-yr Alshon Jeffrey deal and let's move on.  Give a rookie WR a year to develop.   Give Bryant some new malls and jewelry stores in GB and Appleton to terrorize as an added bonus for him

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Dez Bryant
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 09:51:59 AM »
I'll be the first to throw it out there.   Doesn't help speed issues but I'd rather have Bryant running on the 1st unit with Adams, Cobb and Graham than a rookie.     Sign a nice 1-yr Alshon Jeffrey deal and let's move on.  Give a rookie WR a year to develop.   Give Bryant some new malls and jewelry stores in GB and Appleton to terrorize as an added bonus for him

IMO the signing would make no sense. If a aging WR who has lost his speed was an option they could have just keep Nelson at a cheaper price and had a more productive player then Bryant. Don't believe Bryant has any value to the Packers.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 10:27:51 AM »
You are entirely correct.   I posted more because I think they erred in letting Jordy go more than what I think the Pack would actually do.

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 12:03:50 PM »
He still has value in the red zone and having him, Graham and I'll put Cobb in there also would be a nightmare for a defense.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 01:53:29 PM »
Matt Miller

Verified account

@nfldraftscout
 4h4 hours ago
More
Twitter any time a player gets cut:

Fan of former team: "He sucked, we're better off without him."

Fans of every other team: "I hope we sign him, he's exactly what we need!"

Their is a reason the former team doesn't want them around anymore and it isn't just about money. If the Packers would of tried a little bit, they could of kept Nelson around for something just over the minimum. They didn't offer because they really didn't want his services anymore. The same go's for Bryant. Father time wins every battle.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 03:18:11 PM »
Bryant is a loose cannon, cant get separation, and drops too many balls when he does get open.  If they were even remotely interested in Bryant, they could have paid Nelson.   No chance IMO.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 05:35:41 PM »
After the marty bennett fiasco...I’d be stunned if Green Bay brought in dez bryant. Not only is he another headcase, but as others have suggested, he’s lost his top end speed.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
Bryant to GB?
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 08:14:29 AM »
Keep hearing this rumor. Thoughts? Dez that is.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 08:19:25 AM by Bignutz »

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
Re: Bryant to GB?
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 08:25:17 AM »
No. They just cut Nelson due to his cap number. It is unlikely they would sign Dez Bryant because he would cost even more than Nelson would have.

With Green Bay's proven track record of WR development and eye for talent signing him makes little sense.

The rumor being thrown out there isn't considering either of these factors and is simply basing it off their available cap room and having lost Nelson, which makes it speculation not an actual rumor.

EDIT: Taking Calvin Ridley with their first pick is a much better option, and in all likelihood might actually be the BPA. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 08:34:23 AM by claymaker »

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 08:30:36 AM »
Matt Miller

Verified account

@nfldraftscout
 4h4 hours ago
More

Their is a reason the former team doesn't want them around anymore and it isn't just about money. If the Packers would of tried a little bit, they could of kept Nelson around for something just over the minimum. They didn't offer because they really didn't want his services anymore. The same go's for Bryant. Father time wins every battle.

Green Bay did offer him a new deal with a large pay cut and Nelson quickly declined.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-free-agency-2018/2018/3/15/17127988/packers-contract-offer-to-jordy-nelson-was-embarrassing-according-to-james-jones

Packers had their number and weren't willing to budge.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 08:45:29 AM »
Matt Miller

Verified account

@nfldraftscout
 4h4 hours ago
More

Green Bay did offer him a new deal with a large pay cut and Nelson quickly declined.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-free-agency-2018/2018/3/15/17127988/packers-contract-offer-to-jordy-nelson-was-embarrassing-according-to-james-jones

Nowhere in my post did I say the Packers didn't offer a reduced deal. I said, " If the Packers would of tried a little bit" and that is exactly what Nelson said 11 days after the acticle you provided a link to. This is Nelson comment, “The ‘hurt’ part was the unwillingness to make it work.”

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/26/jordy-nelson-hurt-by-lack-of-contract-negotiation-with-packers/

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »
Matt Miller

Verified account

@nfldraftscout
 4h4 hours ago
More

Nowhere in my post did I say the Packers didn't offer a reduced deal. I said, " If the Packers would of tried a little bit" and that is exactly what Nelson said 11 days after the acticle you provided a link to. This is Nelson comment, “The ‘hurt’ part was the unwillingness to make it work.”

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/26/jordy-nelson-hurt-by-lack-of-contract-negotiation-with-packers/

No but you also claimed if that offer was "something just over the minimum" they could have kept him. They lowballed him and he did not accept.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 10:04:31 AM »
Dez is getting the Randy Moss treatment from the writers and fans. He played for a team that had a young QB who caught the league off guard one year, and suffered the next for whatever reason. Dez is far from washed up. That guy just gets open, and has never played for a guys who can put the ball in tight spots like Rodgers. I dont think he will even talk with Green Bay, but I dont think he is as far gone as the masses think he is.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »
No. A problem waiting to happen. He is too- excitable for my taste. He'll get into the faces of coaches, and probably Rodgers sooner or later if he thinks he's open and the pass goes elsewhere. Volatile to me, passionate to to others. Besides, he's going to want a big payday, if not immediately, then very soon. He also doesn't seem to be able to take any responsibility for his actions. Its all someone else, or a conspiracy, or something. But its not him:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/13/dez-bryant-blames-coaches-his-former-teammates-who-are-garretts-guys-for-his-release/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 12:58:52 PM »
Lots of talk about Dez that is for sure.  I am not a fan of his and the show that goes with him - but - lets face it, he has some left in the tank and the Packers could use a guy like him.  You gotta admit that having Adams and Dez wide with Cobb in the slot and Graham working the middle would be pretty darn good.  Would Dez go for a 1 or 2 year deal to play with Rodgers? 

And Calvin Ridley.  The more I watch, the more I like him.  He kind of has flown under the radar in the pre-draft hype as he didn't run real fast and his frame is pretty small.  But there is no arguing his production.  Could the Packers take him at 14 and then get the OLB on day 2??  I don't think it is out of the question.