April 20, 2018, 03:48:06 AM

Author Topic: What about  (Read 4333 times)

Offline Pack2SB

• Starter
What about
« on: January 26, 2013, 04:00:23 AM »
trying to pick him up in FA.

Jairus Byrd, S, Bills. Age: 26.

I like the "no touchdowns all year". Might be helpful with a running QB.

Any thoughts?  Not sure if this has been posted already.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 05:06:25 AM by Pack2SB »

Offline B

• HOF Member
Re: What about
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 04:46:03 AM »

Jairus Byrd is one of the top safeties in football. He shuts everything down in coverage - he was responsible for no touchdowns all year - and he constantly comes up with turnovers. He's also decent in run support and is seldom penalized. He deserves a massive contact. (from Waltersfootball.com)

I liked Jarius Bird coming out of college (Oregon), and he has proven himself to be a top end safety in the NFL during his 4 seasons with the Bills. Frankly, I don't expect him to get out of Buffalo, management loves him and will do everything they can to sign him to a long term deal; even to the point where they are likely to use the franchise tag (which is not that high for safeties) as leverage to keep him in a Bills uniform.

I don't love his height - only 5'10", but there is little doubt he is a playmaker. Jarius made All-Pro as a rookie in 2009 and again this past season (2012) while leading the AFC in interceptions both years ('09 & '12). While he did not make the Pro Bowl in 2010 he did win the Ed Block Courage Award that is dedicated to improving the lives of abused, neglected and at-risk children and ending the cycle of abuse, which speaks to Byrds' high character.

For his career (4 years) Jarius has 18 interceptions (4.5 per season), 308 tackles (77 per season), 10 forced fumbles (2.5 per season) and scored two TDs and has two sacks.

He certainly comes from NFL stock as his father Gill posted 42 career interceptions during his 10 years playing with the Chargers, selected to 4 Pro Bowls and leading the NFL in interceptions from 1987 to 1992. You may remember Gill from the two years he served as the Executive Director of Player Development for the Green Bay Packers - and winning the Bart Starr Award.

I don't expect to see him in Green and Gold, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing another outstanding bloodline added to Green Bay (BTW Bruce Matthews also won the Bart Starr Award). I know, enough trivia for one post.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:52:22 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

68MD

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 04:53:03 AM »

Jairus Byrd is one of the top safeties in football. He shuts everything down in coverage - he was responsible for no touchdowns all year - and he constantly comes up with turnovers. He's also decent in run support and is seldom penalized. He deserves a massive contact. (from Waltersfootball.com)

TT doesn't do FA.... that won't change. Pointless endeavor...fun but pointless
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 05:05:04 AM by 68MD »

Offline Pack2SB

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 05:05:22 AM »
Was not aware of the "other sights".  Will edit.  My apologies.

68MD

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 05:06:36 AM »
Was not aware of the "other sights".  Will edit.  My apologies.
no need to.... thanks for posting !  thumbsup)

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 05:49:11 AM »

TT doesn't do FA.... that won't change. Pointless endeavour

As someone else pointed out, if discussion in a football forum was restricted to sure things there wouldn't be much to talk about in the off season :)

Further, to say Ted Thompson does not do free agency belies the facts. Don't Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett (both tier one UFA, and both who have played in multiple Pro Bowls) play for the Packers? Both are examples of Thompson recognizing great free-agent talent—at value pricing—when he has seen it...

I hated the Marquand Manuel UFA signing, but TT targeted him and went out and got him.

Ted tried hard to get DE/DT Chris Canty In 2009, but wouldn't make him an offer before he visited Green Bay, as his agent demanded. Ted always explores his options in free agency, he simply is not willing to overpay - though that is what most claimed when he paid what Charles Woodson was demanding - something that other GM's shied away from. Ted was also very active in signing free agents (granted not to tier) last off season.

The same with the declaration that Ted Thompson does not make trades. Talk about a set of kahunas/Cohones, the man traded Brett Frickin' Favre coming of a trip to the NFC Championship game. He also traded for Ryan Grant - a trade that certainly paid big dividends. And the guy trades draft picks on draft day like a drunken sailor on shore leave.

There is no doubt that Ted is not a sexy GM if that is defined as signing big-name free agents to the roster to fill holes in a team’s composition.

Despite all of the after the success jumping on the bandwagon declarations (much like the millions of folks who claim to have been in attendance at Woodstock and the Ice Bowl) ;)
I remember what most fans were saying when Ted to bring in Mike McCarthy, a man who was best known as the offensive coordinator of the worst offense in the NFL, to lead the Packer offense. Other GM's could have gotten him, but chose other guys, most who have come and gone as head coaches. Ditto on drafting Aaron Rodgers with the first pick in his first draft as the Green Bay GM, something 25 other GM's passed on the opportunity to do, and leaving most fans scratched their heads, as Brett Farve was still near the top of his game at that point in his career. I guess no one remembers the afforementioned audacity to trade Brett Favre while backing that same young QB he rolled the dice on in 2006.

How did each of those things work out?

Ted is not an easy guy to pigeon hole IMO, but I tip my hat to his outstanding draft ability, his sometimes maddening moderation in free agency, his willingness to part ways with players when there contract demands exceed their value to the team and his vision in hiring Mike McCarthy and giving him the reigns in hiring and leading his coaching staff.

It not only brought home the Lombardi (#13), he puts the Packers in contention each season while fielding a great product worthy of the most storied franchise in the NFL  twocents)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 05:52:04 AM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
Give me a break on the multiple Favre mentions.  Drafting AR was smart, no doubt, but trading Favre was after he'd completely worn out his welcome with the Pack, gone back on his word several times, and had single-handedly lost multiple playoff games, and certainly put his ego over the good of the team.  TT did have AR fall in his lap, but he was wise enough to catch him.  The Favre thing, a no brainer.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »
Give me a break on the multiple Favre mentions.  Drafting AR was smart, no doubt, but trading Favre was after he'd completely worn out his welcome with the Pack, gone back on his word several times, and had single-handedly lost multiple playoff games, and certainly put his ego over the good of the team.  TT did have AR fall in his lap, but he was wise enough to catch him.  The Favre thing, a no brainer.

Easy for a GM Wannabe, but pretty ballsy for an actual GM whose careerdepends upon making the right decisions in difficult circumstances.

There is your break...
-Vince Lombardi

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »

Easy for a GM Wannabe, but pretty ballsy for an actual GM whose careerdepends upon making the right decisions in difficult circumstances.

There is your break...

You got it. Favre was an icon in GB. For years, it was "Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers". To write the move was a "no brainer" is a vast overstatement. The divorce was messy, but necessary, because AR was champing at the bit, and BF was wearing out his "retirement"/diva nonsense. BF went to the well once too often. And, remember, it was MM who held the private conference with BF and told him the Packers had decided to move on without him. What would have taken much more guts, and really outraged GB fans was the smart move- trading BF to Minny for a first, or second/fourth, whatever. Immediate damage/blowback, but also some extra draft picks to strengthen the team.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

AldenRoche

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 05:36:16 PM »
Ted is not an easy guy to pigeon hole IMO, but I tip my hat to his outstanding draft ability, his sometimes maddening moderation in free agency, his willingness to part ways with players when there contract demands exceed their value to the team and his vision in hiring Mike McCarthy and giving him the reigns in hiring and leading his coaching staff.

It not only brought home the Lombardi (#13), he puts the Packers in contention each season while fielding a great product worthy of the most storied franchise in the NFL  twocents)

He may not be easy to pigeon hole but the undisputed fact is TT has made exactly one trade, back in 2007, to acquire a "veteran" NFL player (giving up a 7th round pick for Ryan Grant).

It is also undisputed that he has largely shunned free agency since 2006 when he signed Woodson and Pickett -- though to be fair last offseason he made splashes by signing one over-the-hill name guy (Saturday in a vain attempt to replace Wells with a cheaper substitute), 3 guys no one else wanted before or after he signed them (Merling, Hargrove, and Muir), and a long-in-the-tooth RB who was on the street when training camp began, got injured early and likely will not return (Benson).

Whether they are valid reasons or self-serving explanations the record reveals that TT has done virtually nothing to add veteran talent to the Packers the past5 seasons. Whether that is a good or bad thing is in the eye of the beholder. For me, I'd rather TT stick to scouting the Troys, Buffalos, and Louisiana Techs than trying to sign FAs. He does not seem to like acquiring other teams' players and last year's free agent "crop" was just brutal. 

66_Ray

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 08:24:29 AM »
another thread shot to hell, whinning over Brett Favre

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 09:07:35 AM »

He may not be easy to pigeon hole but the undisputed fact is TT has made exactly one trade, back in 2007, to acquire a "veteran" NFL player (giving up a 7th round pick for Ryan Grant).

It is also undisputed that he has largely shunned free agency since 2006 when he signed Woodson and Pickett -- though to be fair last offseason he made splashes by signing one over-the-hill name guy (Saturday in a vain attempt to replace Wells with a cheaper substitute), 3 guys no one else wanted before or after he signed them (Merling, Hargrove, and Muir), and a long-in-the-tooth RB who was on the street when training camp began, got injured early and likely will not return (Benson).

Whether they are valid reasons or self-serving explanations the record reveals that TT has done virtually nothing to add veteran talent to the Packers the past5 seasons. Whether that is a good or bad thing is in the eye of the beholder. For me, I'd rather TT stick to scouting the Troys, Buffalos, and Louisiana Techs than trying to sign FAs. He does not seem to like acquiring other teams' players and last year's free agent "crop" was just brutal.

In 2006 alone Ted Thompson:

Signed big name free agents starting with:

1.) Marquand Manuel Safety on 3/13 during the first moments of free agency (the NFL investigated GB on potential tampering charges) I never liked Manuel, but he was a big name UFA signing at the time.

2.) Ryan Pickett, a pro bowl quality DT was signed as a UFA 4 days later (by the way, free agents Aaron Kampman and Cullen Jenkins were also signed during this period)

3.) Charles Woodson, CB was added as a UFA later in April

on 08/22/2006 WR Carlton Brewster acquired in trade for CB Therrian Fontenot

in early September Koren Robinson was signed

ON 9/13/2006 RB Vernand Morency obtained in trade from Houston Texans for RB Samkon Gado

In subsequent years there were trades and signings, most of which did not help the team
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 09:46:12 AM »

There is your break...

You got it. Favre was an icon in GB. For years, it was "Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers". To write the move was a "no brainer" is a vast overstatement. The divorce was messy, but necessary, because AR was champing at the bit, and BF was wearing out his "retirement"/diva nonsense. BF went to the well once too often. And, remember, it was MM who held the private conference with BF and told him the Packers had decided to move on without him. What would have taken much more guts, and really outraged GB fans was the smart move- trading BF to Minny for a first, or second/fourth, whatever. Immediate damage/blowback, but also some extra draft picks to strengthen the team.

Unless I am mistaken didn't we use one of the compensatory picks from NYJ for Favre to move up and nab CM3?  (Or did we use one of our own 3rd round pick to move up that time and use the comp pick in the 3rd?)  If so we really made out like bandits with the 'divorce' after all.  NY only got a half of a season out of the Old Man and we got a perennial All-Pro in that deal.  Thanks Ted!   ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:46:58 AM by Pugger »