September 26, 2018, 12:12:14 AM

Author Topic: Right Tackle...  (Read 1078 times)

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Right Tackle...
« on: April 13, 2018, 10:58:19 AM »
So what's going on here? From what I can tell we've got:

Bulaga - Coming off a 2nd ACL injury, probably won't be ready for the start of the season.

Spriggs - Didn't play much (2 separate injuries: a hamstring tear then a dislocated knee) and when he did play he was sub-par.

Murphy - Held up OK when pressed into duty but then had a season ending foot injury.

McCray - Started and subbed in multiple spots on the line throughout the season, but seems to be slotted to compete for the RG spot in 2018.

Where do we go from here? Who starts?

I find this to be probably one of the biggest question marks of the offseason.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Right Tackle...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 02:05:23 PM »
I have seen this in several places on the net. The Packers are in very good shape at tackle for the coming year. Murphy is probably ready to play right now. Spriggs and Murphy are entering their 3rd seasons and both should be solid players this year. By opening day the injuries more than likely will be non-factors in all of this. Human nature is to fear what is not understood, but their is nothing to fear with the right tackle position.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 05:05:14 PM »
I can understand drafting an OT mid-late rounder, and I can also understand pinpointing a couple of priority udfa's.

RT is right, the cupboard isn't bare at OT, and another player already on the roster (who I have heard mentioned favorably) is Adam Pankey.

Using low end draft capital and due diligence on udfa's shouldn't be discounted when there are bigger holes to be filled.

Offline Ptpaq

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »
I guess you could say I’m a bit more worried, I’m not very confident in anything to the right of Bhakti.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 06:23:30 PM »
I can understand drafting an OT mid-late rounder, and I can also understand pinpointing a couple of priority udfa's.

RT is right, the cupboard isn't bare at OT, and another player already on the roster (who I have heard mentioned favorably) is Adam Pankey.

Using low end draft capital and due diligence on udfa's shouldn't be discounted when there are bigger holes to be filled.

Good call about Pankey, it seemed like they stashed him last year at the bottom of the roster with a long term plan in mind. Each time I play around with mocking the Packers, I come away with 2 OLinemen. Their line would be fine if they added no players, but like you I do expect them to continue to add to the depth.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 02:10:42 AM »
Two O linemen the packers seem interested in are USC's Nico Falah and Hawaii's Dejon Allen. I think both of them are among the 30 who can visit the Packers. Both are 6-7 round guys and neither are really projected to be tackles in the NFL, they are versatile guard/center prospects. RT pointed out Korey Cunningham (Cincinnati) who tested well and is more likely to stay at tackle.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018-nfl-draft-packers/2018/4/9/17216866/2018-nfl-draft-packers-host-usc-center-nico-falah-on-official-pre-draft-visit

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dejon-allen?id=32462018-0002-5599-7420-a9b59c127fdd
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 02:17:26 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 06:55:03 AM »
Think it's partly a question of what you're looking for. 

There's something of the anti-awful factor at play here, I think.  I thought all three of McCray, Spriggs, and Murphy looked significantly below-average, relative to most playing-NFL RT; but each of them had spots where I didn't necessarily notice them that much and in which they didn't look grievously awful.  That tended to vary somewhat depending on who they were facing. 

So I think those guys were presumably on variable spots on the anti-awful spectrum.  Definitely south of "average" but perhaps north of "horrifically awful."  It's certainly plausible on the D+D philosophy to hope that if they come back healthy, that each or all of them might improve somewhat: between another camp; between Spriggs perhaps getting variably less weak; between each of them just playing a position none of them has played much before, and very little against NFL competition.  So, I'd assume with experience, each of them might just get better. 

I don't believe any of these three guys played much RT in college; we know they don't practice much; and when they do practice, it's against Packers linemen all the time.  I assume it doesn't take long to kind of get used to the limited range of moves the Packers edges have, and to become anti-awful versus them.  And most of the camp practice is against guys who aren't going to make the roster anyway, much less play much.  But often in real season games, the RT is facing more talented athletes than even the Packers starters much less the camp bodies; and many of the moves you face in real games are perhaps variably different and more creative and/or powerful and/or quicker than what they experienced facing Fackrell and Perry and Matthews and the lesser guys in Packer camp.) 
We saw each of McCray, Spriggs, and Murphy play some RT.  Each of them looked pretty badly outclasses at times (McCray very slow; Spriggs sometimes just got beat and much of the time had leverage issues so that he was often getting pushed back into the pocket pretty quickly and limiting where the QB could step or see or scramble, even on plays in which Spriggs didn't literally give up a sack...

Still, I think if we come back planning on playing it out with Murphy/Spriggs/McCray, I think we can hope for the best.  But should probably assume/expect that we're going to be variably below-average at that spot, and there are going to be unfavorable-matchup games where it's really a vulnerability/limit spot on the offense. 

Obviously you can't be average at ever position, so knowingly accepting being below-average there is fine, I think.  Below average isn't the same as being awful, and as awful we need to have Aaron perform so far above average that he more than makes up for having some below-average players.  That's just the way it is.

I think that if healthy, that Bulaga has a chance to be an average or above-average player.  Obviously he'll never be excellent in the run game; but if his wheels were healthy, I think he can be above-average in the pass-game.  So my hope is that Bulaga will recover fully, and by October that he'll be playing healthy and playing well.  If it's six games of mix-and-match with Spriggs-Murphy-McCray, hopefully they'll be sufficiently anti-awful that you can still do well through those pre-Bulaga games. 

For draft, I think I'm in general agreement:  one or two 3rd-day picks is what I expect.  Between picks 4.1, 4.??, and 5.1, I'd hope one of those picks might be able to snag a promising guy.  Presumably in the Packers habitual way, a college tackle who might be able to play some pro-tackle at a variably anti-awful (and perhaps even excellent in time) level, or a college tackle who might be able to transition to guard and become an excellent starting guard after a year or two. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 08:06:42 AM »
I always appreciate your well thoughout posts and the time and energy that is spent to contribute to a topic, craig.

With that said, I don't share the opinion of your talent evaluations. I don't know if you follow or have seen Ben Fennell's work on twitter, but he does some good work breaking down plays and has some things on the Packers up now. Worth a peek, here is a link.

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 08:16:11 AM »
Let Bulaga go. Great guy but cannot stay healthy.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 09:03:30 AM »
Letting Bulaga go right now would save $4.7M in cap, but would cost $3.2M in dead money, while waiting until after June 1st changes the equation to $6.3M in cap savings with $1.6M in dead money (however it pushes the other $1.6M dead money into 2019).

There is also a provision that would allow a team to release a player now, but designate it as a June 1st release.

For now..................the Packers have made no indication they are moving on from Bulaga, and my feeling is he will remain a Packer for the 2018 season. But after this year (depending how his recovery goes), 2019 could be a different story because his cap number will rise from $7.9M to $8.53M.