December 15, 2018, 08:13:37 PM

Author Topic: Offense in 1st Round??  (Read 368 times)

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
Offense in 1st Round??
« on: April 15, 2018, 11:00:01 AM »
Have not seen many mocks with the Packers going offense in the 1st round - but I don't think it is out of the question.  Outside of all of the QB's - there isn't a lot of offensive players with high 1st round grades on them so there may not be a lot of possibilities with the pick at 14.  If they stay at 14 - may only be two guys that would be on the board and worthy of consideration. 

WR Calvin Ridley.  Stock has slipped with some questions about his speed and slight frame.  But his production is hard to argue and the Packers are certainly looking to draft a WR. 
T - Mike McGlinchey.  This would be a very un-popular pick with the fans I am sure.  But, if the thought is that Bulaga is going to be cut - McGlinchey would be a plug in and play and be the RT for the next 10 seasons.  The best tackle in the draft - he and Bahktiari would be bookends for a long time. 

With the depth at DB and edge guys, there would still be some good choices on the board at 45.  I am not necessarily for going offense with the 1st pick - but I don't think it should be totally discounted. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Offense in 1st Round??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 01:26:48 PM »
Ridley is smaller (189 lbs) than is ideal for a boundary WR. My worry is that he would get pushed around by press corners and become a non-factor in games, and while his 40-time is solid, his 20 shuttle & 3-cone were way slower than expected. He's a late 1st rounder IMO, and I would not like him at #14.

McGlinchey would be a solid pick, but #14 may be a little high for him as well. But he would be a plug/play bookend for DB. Green Bay has shown the ability to draft/develop solid OT's in the middle rounds (4th & 5th especially), and there is good OT value in that range again this year with players like Cappa, Parker, Noteboom, Richardson, and Parris all being in that mix. Also, Orlando Brown has been in free fall since his terrible Combine performance. Once touted as a top 10-15 pick, if falls to the 3rd round he'd be a great value pick there. I wouldn't be unhappy with McGlinchey, but there may be better value than him at #14 depending how the draft falls.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 02:53:32 PM »
Going to oversimplify your question, if the best player on their big board at that moment of their pick is a offensive player, yes to offense in the 1st round. But odds are it is a defensive player just because the top half of the first round rated players are on that side of the ball. Just draft the highest rated player, period.

Saw an interesting stat about veiwership of the draft, 91% of the people who watch their teams first pick will not watch anymore of the draft. Many are probably unaware that their are 6 more rounds.  The first round pick is an important one, but it is just one player in building a team. Just draft the highest rated player.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 03:34:04 PM »
Going to oversimplify your question, if the best player on their big board at that moment of their pick is a offensive player, yes to offense in the 1st round. But odds are it is a defensive player just because the top half of the first round rated players are on that side of the ball. Just draft the highest rated player, period.

Saw an interesting stat about veiwership of the draft, 91% of the people who watch their teams first pick will not watch anymore of the draft. Many are probably unaware that their are 6 more rounds.  The first round pick is an important one, but it is just one player in building a team. Just draft the highest rated player.

I usually curb my viewership depending on how the first pick goes. When you wait all day and then see a major reach on someone like Sherrod, it tends to set a bad tone lol
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 03:34:48 PM »
The only way they take offense round one is if Barkely falls to 14, which won't happen.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."