May 24, 2018, 06:54:08 AM

Author Topic: 2018 Draft  (Read 8789 times)

Offline robertgoulet

• Starter
Re: 2018 Draft
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2017, 12:07:43 PM »

If you want a tight end- well last year was a good year. Scouts aren't impressed with tight ends- one saying there aren't any worth a lst or 2nd round pick. Gesicki is the best senior.

This is what I didn't understand in last year's draft. Even though we signed bennett we needed a young athletic TE and that draft was one of the best ever for TEs yet TT didn't take a single one? He finally chooses FA over the draft and does it when it didn't make sense to.

We had signed two TE's in free agency at that point. Why would we go and grab another one in the draft when we had other pressing needs and the talent stacked up for us at other positions.

I hold out a lot of hope for our draft picks going forward. through round 4 and including Jones in round 6.
TE notoriously takes a couple years to develop. Bennett was essentially on a one or two year deal. Kendrick is JAG IMO. This would have given a rookie time to develop and step in when ready instead of having to go back to the drawing board this year with more than likely a less talented rookie

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2017, 02:21:35 PM »

TE notoriously takes a couple years to develop. Bennett was essentially on a one or two year deal. Kendrick is JAG IMO. This would have given a rookie time to develop and step in when ready instead of having to go back to the drawing board this year with more than likely a less talented rookie

This is going to come off more sarcastic than meant so apologies in advance.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Knowing what I know now, I still like every guy we got in the first 4 rounds. You can sit here and pick a guy who went later and say, 'we should have taken him,' but when we signed those two guys TE was moved way down the priorities list.

"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline pacman5252

• Starter
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2017, 02:37:03 PM »
Just a random thought.

Ty Montgomery has trouble staying healthy, and Mays has not impressed ...... as of yet.

So, it would not surprise me to see TT draft yet another RB this next year in the middle rounds (4th-5th), especially with all the comp picks that he will have.

Do I have players I like?

Early thoughts would be..................

Royce Freeman
Josh Adams
Bo Scarborough
Kyle Hicks
Ralph Webb

But names can come and go as college all-star games and the Combine are all within the next 60 days.

I wouldn't be surprised. I'd like to see Ty go back to WR personally since his body is not meant to take RB hits. I'll say I think Aaron Jones and Williams are nice stories, not completely sold yet. I do think Jones has some real wiggle/explosion, but is small. Williams will get YA contact but isn't a plus athlete.

Jones is 5'9 208
Williams is 6' 213
 confused(

5’9’’ is really small for Jones. Williams is normal sized and not a plus athlete. I get you’re trying to be sarcastic but it’s annoying.

Offline pacman5252

• Starter
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2017, 02:49:07 PM »

Jones has seen very limited action at lb and likely will take over for Burnett after this year (fa, always hurt).

Not necessarily true. They have Brice, Evans who could take over for Burnett. Quite honestly, I think they like what they saw from Whitehead as well.

Our defense has to get a lot faster and Jones at ILB seems logical. I'm guessing he hads 5-10 pounds. They loved his instincts in preseason. He's going to make a major leap next year. Next year he won't be thinking all the time, just reacting. I see him as a future pro-bowl type of player for us.

Playing Jones more than on blatant third downs at ILB sounds illogical. The coaches have thought that too which is why we don’t see it

I also don’t want to fall in love with camp UDFA’s and late rounders who” looked great”. We do it every year. We apparently had like 9 wrs who would make teams

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »
Just a random thought.

Ty Montgomery has trouble staying healthy, and Mays has not impressed ...... as of yet.

So, it would not surprise me to see TT draft yet another RB this next year in the middle rounds (4th-5th), especially with all the comp picks that he will have.

Do I have players I like?

Early thoughts would be..................

Royce Freeman
Josh Adams
Bo Scarborough
Kyle Hicks
Ralph Webb

But names can come and go as college all-star games and the Combine are all within the next 60 days.

I wouldn't be surprised. I'd like to see Ty go back to WR personally since his body is not meant to take RB hits. I'll say I think Aaron Jones and Williams are nice stories, not completely sold yet. I do think Jones has some real wiggle/explosion, but is small. Williams will get YA contact but isn't a plus athlete.

Jones is 5'9 208
Williams is 6' 213
 confused(

5’9’’ is really small for Jones. Williams is normal sized and not a plus athlete. I get you’re trying to be sarcastic but it’s annoying.

There's quite a few good runingbacks in the league that have nearly identical height/weight of Aaron Jones.

I don't understand your "really small" critique?

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2017, 12:38:10 AM »
Barry Sanders, probably my all-time favourite RB, was barely 200lb, but he had a solid build.  He was only 5'8" - and he had thighs like tree trunks.

I believe fans look at weight too much without taking height into account. In terms of build, 204lb on a 5'8" RB is like 220lb on a 6'1" RB.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2017, 05:08:57 AM »
Barry Sanders, probably my all-time favourite RB, was barely 200lb, but he had a solid build.  He was only 5'8" - and he had thighs like tree trunks.

I believe fans look at weight too much without taking height into account. In terms of build, 204lb on a 5'8" RB is like 220lb on a 6'1" RB.

I like Jones versatility.

He can run & catch very well, and he proved that in college.

His size doesn't bother me, as you highlight with Sanders.

I like to think that his stature allows him to be more shifty and avoid some of the direct shots that other RB's absorb. I also think that he sometimes "gets lost" behind his OL and it makes it a little more difficult for defenders to locate him. I also think that he has very good vision/feel for where a running lane is going to open up.

JMHO

Offline robertgoulet

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2017, 10:25:31 AM »

Hindsight is always 20/20. Knowing what I know now, I still like every guy we got in the first 4 rounds. You can sit here and pick a guy who went later and say, 'we should have taken him,' but when we signed those two guys TE was moved way down the priorities list.
No worries. I get that train of thought and after the signings many here thought the same way. Just saying I didnt like it then and really dont now. As far as hindsight yes it's easy to say but I know I wanted us to draft a TE then and I'm pretty sure I said so on this forum

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2017, 11:35:27 AM »
Other than a couple of mid-round picks, I'm not that jazzed about the early round prospects, and mostly because I don't think GB should burn an early round pick on a TE. There are a couple of mid-round picks that I would welcome as D & D candidates (Goedert and Gesicki), but going FA (again) this year might make the most sense.

A couple of TE's to consider in FA..................
Tyler Eifert: He's had some injury issues as of late, and Cincy will be going through a regime change. Might be an opportunity to snag a TE with a proven history, as long as he medically checks out.
Austin Seferian-Jenkins: Did not live up to the initial hype coming out of college, but he's had more receptions this season than in the 3 previous seasons.......combined. And that's playing for the QB-challenged NYJ's!
Another one to consider is Trey Burton (Eagles), I watched a prime time game recently, when Zach Ertz was out hurt,  and Burton caught 2 TD passes and was all over the place. Caught my eye!

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2017, 05:11:12 PM »

No worries. I get that train of thought and after the signings many here thought the same way. Just saying I didnt like it then and really dont now. As far as hindsight yes it's easy to say but I know I wanted us to draft a TE then and I'm pretty sure I said so on this forum

Fair enough!
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2018, 06:53:13 PM »
 This looks like a crazy RB draft. BPA in rds 2-3 could very well be a RB. Michel, Chubb and Freeman as the 2nd tier of backs is crazy.