May 24, 2018, 06:57:53 AM

Author Topic: pass rushers  (Read 1859 times)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
pass rushers
« on: November 07, 2017, 03:55:35 PM »
Getting better pass rushers has to be the number 1 priority.  I could see getting 2 guys who can contribute now and another developmental prospect

It's a long ways until the draft but here is a list of prospects to look at for now.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OLB3-4.php

Offline OnaBadger58

• Starter
Re: pass rushers
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 06:43:08 AM »
I would add Bradley Chubb to the top of that list. Listed as a 4-3 De, but he could be a young Peppers at OLB.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 07:19:54 AM »
I would add Bradley Chubb to the top of that list. Listed as a 4-3 De, but he could be a young Peppers at OLB.

Very good player, but not nearly as athletic as a young Peppers.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 07:47:34 AM »
I wanted the pass rush to be addressed last year.  We are one season too late IMO. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 08:49:13 AM »
I wanted the pass rush to be addressed last year.  We are one season too late IMO.

Better late than never? 

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »

Better late than never?

For sure, but reaching for pass rushers because you have too is a scary proposition.  Now we have to hit and we have to hit BIG on our next 2 or 3 edge rushers. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 02:54:12 PM »
I'm hoping we can get some rotational use out of Biegel, because Fackrell isn't doing much. I always thought if we could get just one REALLY good guy across from Matthews this defense would vastly improve. Perry has been good in spurts, but never "great".

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 03:51:03 PM »
It bears watching, but Matthews might be someone on the chopping block for next year.
His cap number for 2018 is $11.4M with no dead money. ($10.4M base, $500K roster, $500K workout)
If they release him prior to the start of the new league year (early March), they save that entire amount.
It could be something to keep an eye on, especially if they bring in a new DC who would want to build a new defense around younger guys rather than a long-in-the-tooth in the sunset of his career.

Adding that kind of money to what GB already will have in available cap space for 2018 could be more than enough to go out and buy one of the top CB's available in FA.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 05:25:41 PM »
It bears watching, but Matthews might be someone on the chopping block for next year.
His cap number for 2018 is $11.4M with no dead money. ($10.4M base, $500K roster, $500K workout)
If they release him prior to the start of the new league year (early March), they save that entire amount.
It could be something to keep an eye on, especially if they bring in a new DC who would want to build a new defense around younger guys rather than a long-in-the-tooth in the sunset of his career.

Adding that kind of money to what GB already will have in available cap space for 2018 could be more than enough to go out and buy one of the top CB's available in FA.

I personally don't agree with this. He could easily be a top tier ILB. He's too versatile too just bump off the roster. He's still a decent pass rusher, just not the game breaker he used to be.

Odds are they resign him and spread that money out over a 2-3 year span. That would be the smart move.

He's 31, not exactly "long in the tooth" quite yet.

Green Bay already has one of the youngest rosters in the league. They have 5 players over the age of 30 on the active roster (two of which are FA signings) and one on IR, so a grand total of 6. Just ran some easy numbers and minus Matthews, Evans, and Brooks next year the median age for the team would be 25.16. Not counting rookies which might be enough to drop it below 25... that's a young roster. Which is exactly the problem right now. Without Rodgers the youth of this football team is evident, and they are playing exactly like what most young football teams do. Getting rid of a player like Matthews is roster suicide IMO. You make that move when you're rebuilding, not when you have the opportunity to win Superbowls. IMO Clay Matthews still instantly makes your defense better. Is he still worth being paid like a top 5 pass rusher? No. One of the better LBs in the league? Yea.

Rehashing the same talking points about money spent on Matthews versus money spent of big money FAs doesn't do anyone any good. Bennett looked like a slam dunk signing and look how that turned out. 

Despite a good offensive line and talent at the skill positions on offense the youth at QB is killing them. While the defense actually has a pretty strong core consisting of HaHa, Burnett, Matthews, and Daniels the rest of them are still very young or just simply aren't talented enough to be impact players. Outside of Martinez, Lowry, Jones, and Clark the young defenders have not impressed or haven't been consistent.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 05:35:26 PM »
If the losing trend continues they could have a shot at one of the top pass rushers.

Another name to keep an eye on is Lorenzo Carter from Georgia.

Lot's of length this year for pass rushers, which is a nice change. Usually only get a handful of them who are over 6'3.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 06:37:58 PM »
This would be the year we are in the running for a top 10 pick, and it's a year without dominant types players we have seen in the past. Packer luck.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 09:07:15 AM »
This would be the year we are in the running for a top 10 pick, and it's a year without dominant types players we have seen in the past. Packer luck.

I don't think that is true, Arden Key could be a top 5 pick and after the whole draft process Clellin Ferrell, Bradley Chubb, Dorance Armstrong could any or all be top 10 picks.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 07:50:55 AM »

I don't think that is true, Arden Key could be a top 5 pick and after the whole draft process Clellin Ferrell, Bradley Chubb, Dorance Armstrong could any or all be top 10 picks.

You're right about Key likely as a top 5 pick, and I like the other players you've mentioned as well.

Been working on my draft board since 2nd week of October. Sample sizes are still a little limited, and it's a big (?) about which underclassmen will declare for the draft. Still a crap shoot in that regard.

But, what they end up doing about defensive coordinator could change what the draft priorities look like at this point in time.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 08:38:49 AM »

I personally don't agree with this. He could easily be a top tier ILB. He's too versatile too just bump off the roster. He's still a decent pass rusher, just not the game breaker he used to be.

Odds are they resign him and spread that money out over a 2-3 year span. That would be the smart move.

He's 31, not exactly "long in the tooth" quite yet.

Green Bay already has one of the youngest rosters in the league. They have 5 players over the age of 30 on the active roster (two of which are FA signings) and one on IR, so a grand total of 6. Just ran some easy numbers and minus Matthews, Evans, and Brooks next year the median age for the team would be 25.16. Not counting rookies which might be enough to drop it below 25... that's a young roster. Which is exactly the problem right now. Without Rodgers the youth of this football team is evident, and they are playing exactly like what most young football teams do. Getting rid of a player like Matthews is roster suicide IMO. You make that move when you're rebuilding, not when you have the opportunity to win Superbowls. IMO Clay Matthews still instantly makes your defense better. Is he still worth being paid like a top 5 pass rusher? No. One of the better LBs in the league? Yea.

Rehashing the same talking points about money spent on Matthews versus money spent of big money FAs doesn't do anyone any good. Bennett looked like a slam dunk signing and look how that turned out. 

Despite a good offensive line and talent at the skill positions on offense the youth at QB is killing them. While the defense actually has a pretty strong core consisting of HaHa, Burnett, Matthews, and Daniels the rest of them are still very young or just simply aren't talented enough to be impact players. Outside of Martinez, Lowry, Jones, and Clark the young defenders have not impressed or haven't been consistent.

I get the love for Matthews, from you. Your moniker says it all.
And really, He's deserving of that kind of fan loyalty.

But there's two points you made that I want to explore.

1.) Your suggestion that he could still be a top tier ILB.
I agree with that because the (full) year he played ILB was, statistically, one of the best years in the last 6-7 years. However, by 2018 that will be 4 years in the rear view mirror. Does he still have it?
Also, he still WANTS to be an OLB. And that, to me, is the rub. His final year of his contract. Would he be willing to rework that final year and get a modest extension to stay in GB and play ILB rather than OLB?
My personal opinon? No.

2.) The comparison of MB to other potential free agent signings.
The Packers, as well as us fans, knew going into that relationship that MB had a BIG PERSONALITY. In other words, he was a loud mouth headache, and the only thing keeping him in check was his (supposed) desire to play with AR and win another title.
Simply put, the Packers got burned by his detrimental attitude, but that shouldn't stop them from pursuing future FA's. Take Connor Barwin for instance. There was a lot of chatter on this board about bringing him in this year. Instead he signed a very reasonable 1 yr/$3.5M deal with LAR's, and he has played very well for them. Yes, we needed a TE, but we also needed an OLB (IMO). Point is, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. And that's why I'd still be open to freeing up CM3's money to try and get a top FA CB, or maybe OLB...............depending on what happens with the DC.