May 20, 2018, 07:04:38 AM

Author Topic: NFL News & Notes  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
NFL News & Notes
« on: November 14, 2017, 03:20:25 PM »
The Lions have cut former Packers WR Jared Abbrederis.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: NFL News & Notes
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 06:13:11 AM »
It seems that Abby while undersize and more quick than fast hasn't been able to get traction in the league. Good example of great college stats, but not NFL ready. It seem that it's been hard for him to add strength.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:00:03 PM »
BREAKING: League source confirms #Patriots tight end Martellus Bennett will go on injured reserve. Played two games after being claimed on waivers from Packers.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 04:20:23 PM »
BREAKING: League source confirms #Patriots tight end Martellus Bennett will go on injured reserve. Played two games after being claimed on waivers from Packers.

So, he was hurt? And played hurt? And got hurt worse? Oh well, who cares. As far a Abbrederis, I could see him ending up in NE. He's the type of receiver they seem to excel with. Not fast, but quick, shifty and hard to cover.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 05:36:04 AM »

Question.....

If NE wins the SB doesn MB get a ring?

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 08:00:18 AM »
NFL news snippets:

Even without Aaron Rodgers, one thing that has remained consistent for the Packers is their red zone offense. Green Bay has scored a touchdown on 68 percent of its red zone drives this season, second only to the 10-1 Eagles (72 percent).

The Dallas rush offense has actually been strong without Ezekiel Elliott this season. As a team, the Cowboys are averaging 4.7 yards per rush, the second-best in the NFL. They're also picking up a first down on 27.4 percent of their rushes, the highest in the NFL.

Sam Bradford played well before his injury, and Case Keenum has been great with Bradford out. As a result, the Vikings have the best team Total QBR (74) this season. Give credit to the pass protection, too. They've allowed 12 sacks this year, tied for fewest in the NFL.

Le'Veon Bell leads the NFL in yards from scrimmage and Antonio Browns leads all wide receivers. Their 2,572 combined yards from scrimmage are most by a pair of teammates this season.

Atlanta's specialty this season has been moving the chains. The Falcons have converted 48 percent of third downs this season, best in the NFL. It would also be the best by the Falcons since the 1999 team -- which made the Super Bowl -- converted 54 percent of third downs.

Luck or skill? The Bears have forced 14 fumbles on defense and recovered 11 of them, tied for most in the NFL. The rate of recovery (79 percent) is best in the NFL. Probably luck -- but hey, it doesn't change that the Bears still rate well in the stat.

As bad as the Browns have been, their rush defense has been stellar. They're allowing 3.3 yards per rush and 1.7 yards before contact per rush, both second-best in the NFL. And no, it's not because opposing teams kneel a lot. Take away kneel downs and the Browns still rank second-best in each.
<Should mesh nicely with 3-4yd per carry J. Williams>

There's not a lot the Buccaneers rate highly in, but one area they do is fumbles. They have the best fumble differential in the NFL this season, recovering 11 on defense (tied for most) and have lost only five on offense.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 01:10:57 PM »
The New York Giants are benching quarterback Eli Manning, and Geno Smith will start this week against the Oakland Raiders.
Manning has started 210 consecutive regular season games for the Giants. He was given the option of starting in order to continue the streak.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »
Question.....

If the team decided to give him one, yes. But it would be a gift, not something that was earned. Then again, maybe he could get the one Putin stole from Kraft.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 03:57:59 PM »
Question.....

If the team decided to give him one, yes. But it would be a gift, not something that was earned. Then again, maybe he could get the one Putin stole from Kraft.

hysterical

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 05:46:30 PM »
The New York Giants are benching quarterback Eli Manning, and Geno Smith will start this week against the Oakland Raiders.
Manning has started 210 consecutive regular season games for the Giants. He was given the option of starting in order to continue the streak.

A lot of uproar over this. Eli has to be done in New York. I know he is handling it with class, as expected, but I can't see him wanting to continue with them after this kind of move. Maybe if he is done he will end up in Jacksonville?

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 06:36:07 PM »

A lot of uproar over this. Eli has to be done in New York. I know he is handling it with class, as expected, but I can't see him wanting to continue with them after this kind of move. Maybe if he is done he will end up in Jacksonville?

Or maybe he is just done. That tank has been running on empty all season, you can probably stick a fork in that one.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »

Or maybe he is just done. That tank has been running on empty all season, you can probably stick a fork in that one.

Yes - there's alot of conversation about this in the NY area - but Eli's taking the fall for a team thats completey collapsed around him. True - he never was "elite" (IMO at least) and he's slowed a bit - but - the NYGs will have a new GM and HC next year - meaning a new coaching staff again.

Unless this Webb guy's got something special about him - likely they draft one of the top QB's - so perhaps they'll want Eli to finish out his contract with the team. I can think of worse things than starting a new team up with balance & consistency at the most important position. Will he stay (?) - move on (?) - retire? Cant say anybody knows at this point.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 08:20:58 PM »
This just in: Garoppolo will be the starter for SF Sunday. Last week, the team said they didn't want to rush him. apparently, now they want to find out if he can actually play before deciding whether to offer him a big contract. Personally, I think he'll be another of those Brady backups that never play nearly as well as they did in NE.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/28/jimmy-garoppolo-to-start-for-49ers-on-sunday/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:22:04 PM by ricky »

Offline Leader

• HOF Member

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 06:50:24 AM »

But who is he throwing to?  Beckum and Brandon Marshall are IR.  If I were Eli I'd ask to be traded.  I'm certain a QB needy team like Jax or Denver would take him on for a couple of years.