May 22, 2018, 12:51:47 PM

Author Topic: NFL News & Notes  (Read 2999 times)

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
Re: NFL News & Notes
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 07:55:20 AM »
If I were Eli I'd ask to be traded.  I'm certain a QB needy team like Jax or Denver would take him on for a couple of years.

From Eli's perspective, I can see the allure of a team like JAX : Strong defense oriented team with a ground based offense centered around Fournette - in one of the weaker Divisions - and the cherry on top: Coughlin is there.

As opposed to say going to Denver. Tougher Division IMO. Better defense? Maybe yes/maybe no. 

Question before the court though : If you're JAX - you interested in Eli?

This is the last year of Bortles rookie contract. JAX could pickup up his 5th year option for 2018 at around 19M - or they could cut the cord.

Hmmmmm.......

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 08:28:29 AM »
If I were Eli I'd ask to be traded.  I'm certain a QB needy team like Jax or Denver would take him on for a couple of years.

From Eli's perspective, I can see the allure of a team like JAX : Strong defense oriented team with a ground based offense centered around Fournette - in one of the weaker Divisions - and the cherry on top: Coughlin is there.

As opposed to say going to Denver. Tougher Division IMO. Better defense? Maybe yes/maybe no. 

Question before the court though : If you're JAX - you interested in Eli?

This is the last year of Bortles rookie contract. JAX could pickup up his 5th year option for 2018 at around 19M - or they could cut the cord.

Hmmmmm.......

That would be a great landing place and opportunity to be successful again for Eli. Hell, can you imagine Rodgers in a situation like that? With that defense, running game, and an elite, or even just a decent QB, and they're all of a sudden super bowl material.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 10:49:35 AM »
To me, its a no brainer.

All that team really needs is a good QB. 

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 02:36:43 PM »
To me, its a no brainer.
All that team really needs is a good QB. 

Agree - but outside the Coughlin connection - how would a Kirk Cousins fit? Better than Eli you ask me.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 11:38:19 PM »
"The NFL and a group of players reached an agreement in principle late Wednesday night to partner on a plan to address social justice issues considered important to African-American communities, ESPN has learned. The unprecedented agreement calls for the league to contribute $89 million over seven years to projects dealing with criminal justice reform, law enforcement/community relations and education."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21614673/nfl-agrees-commit-nearly-100m-seven-years-charities-important-african-american-communities

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 08:30:29 AM »
"The NFL and a group of players reached an agreement in principle late Wednesday night to partner on a plan to address social justice issues considered important to African-American communities, ESPN has learned. The unprecedented agreement calls for the league to contribute $89 million over seven years to projects dealing with criminal justice reform, law enforcement/community relations and education."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21614673/nfl-agrees-commit-nearly-100m-seven-years-charities-important-african-american-communities

Sounds productive so far.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 01:48:48 PM »
Productive??

Hardly!!!

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-players-reach-deal-supporting-activism-protests-national-anthem-continue-071955356.html?src=rss

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/30/nfls-social-justice-deal-solves-nothing/

PLEASE tell me there isn't going to be a plethora of pages devoted to useless bickering between people who have made up their mind on this issue? Please? Pretty please? The protests during the anthem swelled when President Trump decided to weigh in on the matter. Since then, the protesters have dwindled once again to a handful of players. Less than one per team, on average (please note the "on average" if you're going to reply; thank you).

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/256913/nfl-players-who-protested-during-national-anthem-in-week-10

Meanwhile, back on topic. I don't feel sorry for Eli at all. He threw an entire franchise and city under the bus when he was drafted, and the Manning family effectively thumbed their collective noses of the NFL draft process. Like his brother, he was more interested in how much he was going to get paid, rather than the salary cap implications of his salary. He's been well paid for being a mediocre regular season QB who got hot twice during the playoffs, and made some incredible throws to win SB's for the Giants. Anyone think he did that without the great help of the Giants defenses during that time? Or the meltdown of Favre during the championship game in Lambeau? He's a very well paid employee whose team has stunk out loud this year. The Giants offense is ranked 31st in the NFL. And he deserves to play? Nonsense. But, the Giants going to Geno Smith is a joke. They are tanking, without admitting it. And the NFL should be looking into this matter, because this goes to the very core of the competitive nature of the game.

So, sure, lets debate the merits of a few players kneeling in protest, get outraged and demand action. But a team flagrantly trying to lose the remainder of their games so they can have a better draft choice? Ahem... nothing to see here, move along. Or, to use one of the greatest closing lines in movie history:

"Forget it, Jake. Its Chinatown."
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 01:50:12 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 03:01:35 PM »
It is a good and positive thing. Moving forward positively. Details to be worked out and confirmed, but a good infrastructure for future action.

"All of this really is in good faith, and I think if the league continues to come through or deliver on their word, then I see no need to go back to what I was doing.  It's been a trying process for the last year-and-a-half," said Jenkins, "and I'm sure even moving forward there's going to be some growing pains and things we need to move through. But at the end of the day, I'm focused on solutions and outcomes. I really want to make an impact in my community, I want to make sure we do it in the right manner and that we accomplish what we set out to do when we first started to protest as players."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21621783/malcolm-jenkins-philadelphia-eagles-protest-nfl-89m-pledge

Online dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 04:56:04 PM »
I wonder how much of that $89M the players have agreed to have deducted, pretax, from their paychecks?
 sarcasm

confused(
Never mind...............rhetorical.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 06:00:27 PM »
Colin Kaepernick to receive Sports Illustrated's Muhammad Ali Legacy Award

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 10:09:26 PM »
The lazy, ungrateful, privileged players and the NFL getting together to do good things. Good for them. Good for many others.
Dont let the word get out though. Keep it a secret. 

http://www.nfl.com/mycausemycleats

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 01:24:53 PM »
WOW - GM you nailed it. You'd said weeks ago that KC was fading.....well, today they became transparent.

NYJ - 38
KC - 31

KC started out 5 & 0
They're now 6 & 6

I've no idea how the game played out - but apparently it cant be blamed on this guy:

A. Smith
19-33, 366 YDS, 4 TDs, 0 INTs

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 08:23:23 PM »
NOLA just blew opportunity to tie or win their game with ATL late - which would have been better for us.
Oh well.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 04:28:11 PM »
League has some ratings issues?
Not a problem......Denver (4+9) @ Indy (3+10) is certain to reverse that trend!   confused(