November 19, 2018, 01:33:31 PM

Author Topic: NFL News & Notes  (Read 4371 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: NFL News & Notes
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2017, 05:46:25 PM »
A bit ironic in the Lions game today, Don Barclay replaced an injured TJ Lang.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2017, 11:00:56 PM »
Ted was right to let Sitton and Lang walk.  They have had issues staying healthy with their new teams.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2017, 05:18:51 AM »
Ted was right to let Sitton and Lang walk.  They have had issues staying healthy with their new teams.

Could this be a forecast of what happens with Bulaga? Because the only thing he has going for him is age. But injuries? Unfortunately, yes. The draft is going to be very important in this equation, as well as the development of the younger players.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2017, 05:30:40 AM »
Ian Rapoport:
Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie, on Nick Foles: "We purposely invested a lot in the backup quarterback position." Foles, by the way, turned down more elsewhere to return to Philly.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2017, 06:01:52 AM »
Ian Rapoport:
Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie, on Nick Foles: "We purposely invested a lot in the backup quarterback position." Foles, by the way, turned down more elsewhere to return to Philly.

The Eagles were smart to invest here because Wentz is still a young player and he probably benefited from Foles being in their QB room.  I don't know if Foles will be able to now lead them to the SB this year, however. 

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2017, 06:46:49 AM »
Ian Rapoport:
The Eagles were smart to invest here because Wentz is still a young player and he probably benefited from Foles being in their QB room.  I don't know if Foles will be able to now lead them to the SB this year, however. 

I look at it differently. The Eagles were smart to invest in the backup QB position because as a true SB contender they can now expect a level of play greater than an untested rookie can provide. In our case Hundley was a rookie only in the sense of regular season game experience and it showed in "L's" we might have won which would have put us in far better position today. Fortunate for PHILLY they'd already locked up the division cause if they had to rely on Nate Sudfeld to provide crucial wins - well, their season just might have gone down the tubes.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2017, 08:04:39 AM »
Ian Rapoport:

I look at it differently. The Eagles were smart to invest in the backup QB position because as a true SB contender they can now expect a level of play greater than an untested rookie can provide. In our case Hundley was a rookie only in the sense of regular season game experience and it showed in "L's" we might have won which would have put us in far better position today. Fortunate for PHILLY they'd already locked up the division cause if they had to rely on Nate Sudfeld to provide crucial wins - well, their season just might have gone down the tubes.

So is Pitt dumb to go with an untested backup?   I can understand why Ted and Mike decided to invest in putting talent around their all-world QB.  I don't recall anyone grousing about having Hundley as AR's backup going into the season and Ted dabbling in FA at other positions.  We rolled the dice and it came up snake eyes.   :-\

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2017, 09:37:31 AM »
So is Pitt dumb to go with an untested backup? I can understand why Ted and Mike decided to invest in putting talent around their all-world QB.  I don't recall anyone grousing about having Hundley as AR's backup going into the season and Ted dabbling in FA at other positions.  We rolled the dice and it came up snake eyes.   :-\

So is Pitt dumb to go with an untested backup?
Thats up to the PITT organization and its fans to determine. I couldnt care less how they manage their CAP and/or roster.

I can understand why Ted and Mike decided to invest in putting talent around their all-world QB. 

So can I.

I don't recall anyone grousing about having Hundley as AR's backup going into the season and Ted dabbling in FA at other positions.
I agree and I wasnt one of them. Quite the opposite. I was saying it could be of greater value to the GBPs *to hold on to Hundley* in his 4th season (so as to have an experience backup in fact!) as opposed to trading him for a 5th-6th draft pick. I think NOW its more likely we'll hold on to Hundley for that 4th year.....but what do we do in 2019?

My thinking has changed about how we handle 2019.

The days and years of - "Well, there will always be next year of AR......" are on the downside. We waste time on another inexperienced backup.....well....you know what could likely happen.

We rolled the dice and it came up snake eyes.

Well, we're still (barely) rolling - so the jigs not up yet - but do we roll the same dice in 2019? Thats all it comes down to.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2017, 05:26:18 AM »
Had a couple "playoff games" end on "last play" decisions / actions that were disasterous:

Big Ben trying to force a slant into the EZ with about 3 DBs surrounding the WR - when the chip shot / game tying FG was in the bag.

Derek Carr reaching out too far to score the game winning TD against Dallas - (again - when the chip shot / game tying FG was in the bag) - wayyyyyyyy overstretching / exposing / fumbling the football to Dallas.

Geronimo getting stripped of the football (one more time......again - when the chip shot / game tying FG was in the bag).

The end of things can be difficult.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2017, 09:39:12 AM »
Had a couple "playoff games" end on "last play" decisions / actions that were disasterous:

Big Ben trying to force a slant into the EZ with about 3 DBs surrounding the WR - when the chip shot / game tying FG was in the bag.

Derek Carr reaching out too far to score the game winning TD against Dallas - (again - when the chip shot / game tying FG was in the bag) - wayyyyyyyy overstretching / exposing / fumbling the football to Dallas.

Geronimo getting stripped of the football (one more time......again - when the chip shot / game tying FG was in the bag).

Were we in FG range when Geronimo fumbled?

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2017, 11:13:37 AM »

1st and 10 at CAR 38

(1:55 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short right to G.Allison to CAR 28 for 10 yards (J.Bradberry). FUMBLES (J.Bradberry), RECOVERED by CAR-M.Adams at CAR 28. M.Adams to CAR 28 for no gain (R.Rodgers)

We'd just picked up a first at the CAR 28 with 1:50 left.

Offline mikebpackfan

• All Pro
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2017, 03:38:41 PM »

1st and 10 at CAR 38

(1:55 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short right to G.Allison to CAR 28 for 10 yards (J.Bradberry). FUMBLES (J.Bradberry), RECOVERED by CAR-M.Adams at CAR 28. M.Adams to CAR 28 for no gain (R.Rodgers)

So, we would have only lost 31-27?

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2017, 04:14:40 PM »

1st and 10 at CAR 38

So, we would have only lost 31-27?

Thats right - I'd mistaken the score - thought we were just down 3 - but with about 1:50 left and the ball at the CAR 28 we could have gotten into the end zone.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2017, 12:52:30 PM »
TB 19
CAR 15
3:14 in 4th Qtr.

WASH 26
DEN 3
4:21 in 4th Qtr.

KC 26
MIA 13
5:56 in 4th Qtr.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2017, 07:16:16 PM »
Philly better take care of business cause they're playing it awfully close to the vest against Oakland and Minnesota's just drooling for them to lose.

7-7 starting the 3rd Qtr.

Oakland @ the Philly 6 with a 3rd down.