February 19, 2018, 10:07:07 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Steelers Game Day Thread  (Read 2919 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Steelers Game Day Thread
« on: November 22, 2017, 06:29:11 AM »
Actually, why bother? The Packers don't have a chance. This will be a blowout, a debacle, a disaster, a disgrace. The Packers are a dumpster fire of a joke of a team. Why bother playing the game? Why not just forfeit the rest of the season, save all that airfaire and other expenses, and therefore keep the rest of the team healthy? Since Lambeau is known as the "Frozen Tundra", they could ice over the field and turn it into an ice skating rink. Charge admission and lots of money for concessions. Use that money to sign a few FA's because all the players except AR suck. Fire the entire staff and bring in fresh blood, because the old team is stale, and are only winners because they were lucky enough to have great QBs playing for them. Or, if you insist on playing out the rest of the season, at least put a sign up over every Lambeau entrance with the words, "Abandon hope., all ye who enter here."

Wow, that felt good! And if you think this is over the top, this is exactly the feeling I get when I read so many posts on this site. Well, I'm not giving up. And neither are a lot of others on this board, I believe. Are there problems? Absolutely. Are there solutions? Of course. And the first solution is to try to believe that the game Sunday night is winnable by the Packers. Because, "Any given Sunday" is not just a cliche. Look around the league, and notice that there are teams that started well and are now tanking. Teams that started slowly and are now cruising. Players who were mediocre are suddenly playing very well- this season. Teams that were chosen for the playoffs are struggling mightily. Its the NFL. It's unpredictable, maddening, exhilirating and always, always surprising. So, why not a surprise Sunday night? Why not at least give the team a chance? Because the alternative is strapping on your ice skates and paying $5 for an eight ounce cup of hot cocoa.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Steelers Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 06:35:13 AM »
 :)

Well said.

Espectially liked the "Abandon hope., all ye who enter here." - that got a good chuckle.

Thanks Ricky.
This'll open up on GD.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 05:05:00 AM »
The time has come.....

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 05:24:47 AM »
The Packers are 14 point underdogs. Meanwhile, Miami are 16 point underdogs against New England. Now, does Jeckyll or Hyde show up at QB for the Packers tonight? Because Hundley has shown life against the Bears, who are currently ranked 15th in defense. The Steelers are #2. No !? Jacksonville. For those who are interestd:

http://forum.packerchatters.com/index.php?action=post;topic=6974.0;last_msg=178892

Still, the Steelers are known for playing down to the level of their competition, and they have a big game coming up against New England. So, can the Packers catch them in that infamous "trap game"? Or could this be "one of those games" for the Steelers? The outlook is anything but rosy, but, hey, anything is possible. I fully realize the odds are stacked heavily against the Packers. But giving in to "gloom and doom" is not in my nature. If you want to quit, or feel better bashing the team and the players and coming on and repeating the same complaints again and again, please feel free. If venting helps you cope with this, its certainly better than yelling at someone or kicking your dog. But at the same time, please don't bash those of us who still have hope. We're not stupid. Just hopeful.And without hope, what is there?

Offline Redt

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 07:27:07 AM »
Hopes for today's game.
1. Packers show heart and play hard for 60 minutes
2. Spriggs shows signs of life
3. DB's don't let A. Brown have a career game
4. Running game allows Hundley to have open receivers
5. No celebrating after a 1st down stop.
6. Don't get humiliated on national tv, again

This is our best chance to evaluate all players at every position and decide who we want to roll with moving forward, especially interested in Jones, King, Spriggs, Beigel, Williams, and Mays.
I am still waiting for someone to step into a leadership role and inspire this team

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 07:54:29 AM »
While it certainly appears we are overmatched and extremely unlikely to win, I think it is not out of the question.

Pittsburgh could come in complacent given that Hundley's game film won't cause their defense to think they need their A-game.

Also, I am not sure Pittsburgh's record isn't padded a bit by a weak schedule.  They have had two top teams where they beat the Vikings early when Bradford was struggling, but were smoked by Jacksonville.  The rest of their division has been weak, and they were beaten by the lowly Bears.

If the light goes on for Hundley and he can stop throwing interceptions, the defense plays well and gets some turnovers, and Pittsburgh comes out flat, there could be a chance.   We certainly will need to win the turnover battle to have a chance.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 07:56:36 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 12:09:53 PM »
Where is the inactive list?

Is King playing? Is CM 3?

Also, the Cowboys just released McFadden.  Might be interesting to look at.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »

Inactives don't need to be released until 90 min. before kickoff.

McFadden would be a complete waste of time, he has had nothing left for a couple of years now.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 12:39:31 PM »
Two years ago, in 2015, McFadden rushed for 1,089 yards, top five in the NFL.

He averaged 4.6 YPC

He had 40 pass receptions.

Last year, he had a serious off season injury which landed him on PUP.  Plus the Cowboys drafted Elliot and picked up Morris from the Redskins.

So IMO, the jury is still out on him.

But we are stocked great at RB aren't we?

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »

The inactives will be announced shortly before game time. So, we don't know. Here is a report from Friday's practice, and the players status at that time:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/injuries/GB/green-bay-packers

As far as McFadden, why look at him? The Packers have two RBs who have been with the team since day one, and know the system, at least to a better extent than an outsider who has not been with the team at all. Mays certainly had a terrible, awful, no good start to his career. And neither he nor Williams seem to be threats to upstage Jones or Montgomery. Though, if TT decided to do "due diligence", fine. But I would be very surprised if he was added to the roster. Sure, he had a good year two years ago. But since then, he has been the third option in Dallas after Elliott got suspended.

http://www.rotoworld.com/stats/nfl/4649/darren-mcfadden

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 01:04:43 PM »
Two years ago, in 2015, McFadden rushed for 1,089 yards, top five in the NFL.

He averaged 4.6 YPC

He had 40 pass receptions.

Last year, he had a serious off season injury which landed him on PUP.  Plus the Cowboys drafted Elliot and picked up Morris from the Redskins.

So IMO, the jury is still out on him.

But we are stocked great at RB aren't we?

Jim Brown and OJ Simpson are also available.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 01:26:35 PM »
Today's captains will be C Corey Linsley (offense), S Josh Jones (defense) and LB Joe Thomas (special teams).

Linsley is a go with the back issue he was dealing with this week, good to see he is not out.

Offline WB PackerFan

• Second String
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 03:44:46 PM »
Would not be surprised if the Pack wins this game. Just saying

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 03:49:18 PM »
Injured quarterback Aaron Rodgers used Sunday night’s pre-game warmups to throw in a public setting for the first time since breaking his collarbone during the Green Bay Packers’ loss to the Minnesota Vikings on Oct. 15.

Rodgers appeared to throw without restriction. His workout at Heinz Field even included a few deep balls.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/26/packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-throws-during-pre-game-warmups/

Offline green machine

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 04:02:05 PM »
Inactives:
Green Bay Packers
33 RB Aaron Jones
44 CB Donatello Brown
52 LB Clay Matthews
62 G Lucas Patrick
77 G/T Adam Pankey
88 RB Ty Montgomery