August 21, 2018, 12:55:52 PM

Author Topic: Packer News & Notes  (Read 7733 times)

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
Packer News & Notes
« on: November 30, 2017, 06:21:35 PM »
The Green Bay Packers have filed paperwork in an attempt to collect a portion of Martellus Bennetts signing bonus after they released him with the designation that he failed to disclose a medical condition.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21622553/green-bay-packers-file-paperwork-attempt-collect-portion-martellus-bennett-signing-bonus-releasing-him

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
Re: Packer News & Notes
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 03:40:44 PM »
I'm glad they are trying but I don't know if they'll collect a penny, unfortunately.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »
The Packers announce the signing of TE Robert Tonyan to their practice squad. The rookie out of Indiana State originally signed with the Detroit Lions as an undrafted free agent. He will wear No. 80.

Offline Scott1956

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 05:49:15 PM »
The medical staff needs to take a lot of heat for this. They did give him a physical, complete with x-rays and MRI's, didn't they? Isn't finding what players are trying to hide their job?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:48:46 AM »
I'm glad they are trying but I don't know if they'll collect a penny, unfortunately.

I disagree Pugger, I don't think they would pursue this if they didn't feel they had a good case.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 07:56:06 PM »
Huge news today, 49ers Signing WR Max McCaffrey Off Packers’ Practice Squad.

Oh ya, their is also some Rodgers thing.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 08:15:03 AM »
Huge news today, 49ers Signing WR Max McCaffrey Off Packers’ Practice Squad.

Oh ya, their is also some Rodgers thing.

Which Rodgers? There are a couple of them on the Packers   ;D

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 04:47:23 PM »
Packers signed WR Colby Pearson from BYU to replace McCaffrey on the practice squad. He was with the Packers in training camp.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 01:47:32 PM »
Ben Fennell:

2017 Cap Dollars for WRs...

1. ATL 27.98mil
2. GB 27.75mil
3. DAL 25.94mil

30. BUF 5.85mil
31. KC 5.27mil
32. CLE 5.24mil

Packers on the hook for 26.5mil in 2018 (Cobb 12.7$, Jordy 12.5$, Davis 680k, Clark 555k)... Gonna get pricey w/ Davante Adams contract too That's already #2 in the NFL for WR spending for 2018 (behind DAL).

Add on (and not to beat a dead horse......) but for a team with so much CAP space allocated to the WR position, its would be best we insure we've a QB who can get it to them. We might be saving money on a cheap Rookie - but if he cant get it to the WRs - thats not a good investment.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 01:50:17 PM by Leader »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 03:09:02 PM »
Ben Fennell:

2017 Cap Dollars for WRs...

1. ATL 27.98mil
2. GB 27.75mil
3. DAL 25.94mil

30. BUF 5.85mil
31. KC 5.27mil
32. CLE 5.24mil

Packers on the hook for 26.5mil in 2018 (Cobb 12.7$, Jordy 12.5$, Davis 680k, Clark 555k)... Gonna get pricey w/ Davante Adams contract too That's already #2 in the NFL for WR spending for 2018 (behind DAL).

Add on (and not to beat a dead horse......) but for a team with so much CAP space allocated to the WR position, its would be best we insure we've a QB who can get it to them. We might be saving money on a cheap Rookie - but if he cant get it to the WRs - thats not a good investment.

Nelson is due to make $12.55 million. If he's cut the cap hit is $2.3 million. Savings of approximately $10 million. Also, figure the Packers are going to want both Cobb and CMIII to renegotiate so they can re-sign some of their FA's. Besides Adams, the guys who the Packers probably need to re-sign (in order of my own preference), are Linsley, House and Burnett. Other Packers FA's are here: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/green-bay-packers/

So, if Nelson was cut, would that be the end of his time in GB? Hardly. The Packers could simply re-sign him the next day, as they did with AJ Hawk. In the meantime, I'm still pulling for a big name FA DL to give the Packers a boost in their pass rush immediately. Aaron Donald, anyone? I know, call me a dreamer (but please don't deport me).
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 03:57:27 PM »

Nelson is due to make $12.55 million. If he's cut the cap hit is $2.3 million. Savings of approximately $10 million. Also, figure the Packers are going to want both Cobb and CMIII to renegotiate so they can re-sign some of their FA's. Besides Adams, the guys who the Packers probably need to re-sign (in order of my own preference), are Linsley, House and Burnett. Other Packers FA's are here: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/green-bay-packers/

So, if Nelson was cut, would that be the end of his time in GB? Hardly. The Packers could simply re-sign him the next day, as they did with AJ Hawk. In the meantime, I'm still pulling for a big name FA DL to give the Packers a boost in their pass rush immediately. Aaron Donald, anyone? I know, call me a dreamer (but please don't deport me).

The difference between Nelson and Hawk's situation is Nelson would be a very valuable commodity on the open market. They could potentially extend him and turn a lot of 2018 salary into signing bonus to lower his number.

I think Cobb is going to be released. No way we can allow Davante to walk, even if it means we have to tender/franchise him. Matthews is going to be a tougher deal. He's starting to get to the QB again, so an outright release seems out of the question. He's another guy who may balk at taking a paycut. Again, he'd have a ton of people lined up to get him on their roster.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 04:20:27 PM »
Aaron Nagler:
Aaron Rodgers will sign autographs to raise money for the Salvation Army on Monday in the Lambeau Field Atrium.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 04:26:37 PM »
I'm still pulling for a big name FA DL to give the Packers a boost in their pass rush immediately. Aaron Donald, anyone? I know, call me a dreamer (but please don't deport me).

I'd say the Packers DL is fine and getting better (Still have Motravius Adams to make a second year jump). It's the OLB pass rush that needs improving, they are the sexy sacks position in the 3-4, plus one starting outside corner. Those two positions improved, is really all the D needs to be good, imo, though a different defensive coordinator might help a lot as well..
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 04:35:36 PM »
I'm still pulling for a big name FA DL to give the Packers a boost in their pass rush immediately. Aaron Donald, anyone? I know, call me a dreamer (but please don't deport me).

I'd say the Packers DL is fine and getting better (Still have Motravius Adams to make a second year jump). It's the OLB pass rush that needs improving, they are the sexy sacks position in the 3-4, plus one starting outside corner. Those two positions improved, is really all the D needs to be good, imo, though a different defensive coordinator might help a lot as well..

I agree with this but in a different order.

1. New DC
2. OLB - pass rushing beast
3. CB
4. OLB - like to hit this position in round 1 and 3 and CB in 2 if possible.

"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »

Fair enough. Getting more pressure on the passer via DL or OLB would be absolutely fine with me. Perhaps someone like Peppers, who seems to be an almost ageless wonder. 9.5 sacks this year at 37 (his birthday is in January) is amazing. But I still want a FA, someone with a proven track record, not a guy the team needs a couple of years to develop before he's effective.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid