February 21, 2018, 01:36:36 AM

Author Topic: Packer News & Notes  (Read 5551 times)

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
Re: Packer News & Notes
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 07:44:48 PM »
I think if any WR is cut this offseason it will be Cobb. I think that allows Monty to fill that role. Nelson is not going to be cut.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 08:37:31 PM »
Zach Kruse:
Jordy Nelson over Brett Hundley's seven starts: 22 catches, 153 yards, 0 TDs.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 10:02:25 AM »
I think if any WR is cut this offseason it will be Cobb. I think that allows Monty to fill that role. Nelson is not going to be cut.

Just wanted to clarify something. I don't want to see Nelson gone. But, given their relative ages, and the amount of versatility Cobb offers, it seems he is more likely to be retained. Cobb will be owed $12.75 million, with a dead cap of $3.25 million. He will be 28 years old next year. Nelson will be 33. Which is  more likely- that TT keeps a younger player who is more versatile, or an older player. Also, by cutting Nelson, the team saves about a million more in cap relief. Also, TT has shown a willingness to let a guy go a year or two too early than keep them around "too long". All this strongly suggests Nelson is odd man out. Though perhaps the Packers could pull a Patriots maneuver, and get him back on the roster by letting it be known he'd retire rather than join another team.

Also, in this discussion, there are Davis, Allison and Clark to consider. Sorry, but I believe Janis' time has come and gone. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:03:05 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 10:07:10 AM »
Zach Kruse:

That is relevant if we are expecting Brett Hundley to be our QB next year.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 10:44:48 AM »
Who loses their spot on the 53 man roster when they activate Rodgers? It would seem like Callahan would be the odd mad out, but with Rodgers not 100% would they keep a 3rd QB and part with a OL now that that group is mostly healthy?

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »
Zach Kruse:
That is relevant if we are expecting Brett Hundley to be our QB next year.

Dont mean to sound harsh, but I'll be pleased if Brett Hundley never takes another regular season snap for the GBPs.
If the team's playoff chances this year go down the drain and AR gets put back on the shelf again - fine. Couldnt care less.
Next year? He's back to standard backup QB status: "Only break glass in case of emergency".

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 06:16:29 AM »
My "playoff standing based" Week 15 Wish List:

CHI over DET
GBP over CAR
LAR over SEA
TPA over ATL
OAK over DAL
CIN over MN
WASH over AZ
NYJ over NOLA
PITT over NE

If Vegas offered odds this way, it would revert to a dusty ghost town  :)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 08:47:14 AM »

CHI over DET

GBP over CAR
LAR over SEA
TPA over ATL
OAK over DAL
CIN over MN
WASH over AZ
NYJ over NOLA
PITT over NE

Based on the fact we can't get in without winning out here are the games that matter, above. The rest we can handle business ourselves or not get in. Although, I hate NE so anytime they lose, bonus!

NOTE: if the first three games (that I didn't scratch out) play out as you have on the list. The Packers will control their own destiny over the last two weeks. 

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:50:16 AM by golfman »

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 09:47:06 AM »

CHI over DET

GBP over CAR
LAR over SEA
TPA over ATL
OAK over DAL
CIN over MN
WASH over AZ
NYJ over NOLA
PITT over NE

Based on the fact we can't get in without winning out here are the games that matter, above. The rest we can handle business ourselves or not get in. Although, I hate NE so anytime they lose, bonus!

NOTE: if the first three games (that I didn't scratch out) play out as you have on the list. The Packers will control their own destiny over the last two weeks. 

You dont play many Trifectas or Super Trifectas at the race track do ya? More a "Win, Place, Show" kinda guy? :)
I'm going for the gusto! Everybody in the NFC around us LOSES!   

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 11:29:39 AM »

I don't think Cobb or Jordy will be cut.  It is just a gut feeling...

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 12:38:29 PM »

CHI over DET

GBP over CAR
LAR over SEA
TPA over ATL
OAK over DAL
CIN over MN
WASH over AZ
NYJ over NOLA
PITT over NE

You dont play many Trifectas or Super Trifectas at the race track do ya? More a "Win, Place, Show" kinda guy? :)

I"m good with that but if Atlanta and Seattle lose and we beat Carolina we control our own destiny. We have head to head tiebreaker with Dallas and Seattle and play Detroit the last game of the year. If we win 2 worst case scenario we go to Detroit tied and winner (if our case) is in. Not sure where Detroit is with those tie breakers.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 01:38:36 PM »

CHI over DET

GBP over CAR
LAR over SEA
TPA over ATL
OAK over DAL
CIN over MN
WASH over AZ
NYJ over NOLA
PITT over NE

I"m good with that but if Atlanta and Seattle lose and we beat Carolina we control our own destiny. We have head to head tiebreaker with Dallas and Seattle and play Detroit the last game of the year. If we win 2 worst case scenario we go to Detroit tied and winner (if our case) is in. Not sure where Detroit is with those tie breakers.

I got all that. I want everybody else to lose. Makes it so much easier  :)

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 05:24:11 AM »
... if Atlanta and Seattle lose and we beat Carolina we control our own destiny. We have head to head tiebreaker with Dallas and Seattle and play Detroit the last game of the year. If we win 2 worst case scenario we go to Detroit tied and winner (if our case) is in. Not sure where Detroit is with those tie breakers.

Thanks for simplifying the landscape. 

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 06:07:40 AM »
... if Atlanta and Seattle lose and we beat Carolina we control our own destiny. We have head to head tiebreaker with Dallas and Seattle and play Detroit the last game of the year. If we win 2 worst case scenario we go to Detroit tied and winner (if our case) is in. Not sure where Detroit is with those tie breakers.

If we lose today Detroit is in a better place than we are.  They right now have the better overall, divisional and conference record.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 06:40:59 AM »

If we lose today Detroit is in a better place than we are.  They right now have the better overall, divisional and conference record.

If we lose today we aren't mathematically eliminated (although we could be), but we're toast for all practical purposes. I've got a better chance of winning the lottery than the Packers do of getting into the playoffs with another loss. Win out and I like our chances. Lose one, it's over.

If Carolina beats us today, they and New Orleans have locked us out with the head to head tie breaker. Minnesota clinches a spot over us with 10 wins which we can't get too. Altanta could actually seal our fate with a win today as well.

Trust me, Detroit winning is not our concern. The Packers winning is the only chance we have left.