November 15, 2018, 04:11:52 AM

Author Topic: Kamara/Ingram: The Best?  (Read 880 times)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
Kamara/Ingram: The Best?
« on: December 02, 2017, 07:31:16 AM »
I have to say that after watching films of Kamara and what the Saints are doing coupling him with Ingram, I may have been wrong when I said the Saints were a slightly above average team when they beat the Pack.  Bucky Brooks goes even further below.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000886077/article/mark-ingram-alvin-kamara-best-duo-ever-qb-conundrums

There are two factors at work here.  First, how the heck did everybody miss on this Kamara guy, not once but twice?  He is made to order for the NFL as a combo type back, he can run in every direction and he is just excellent as a back catching downfield. He should have never lasted until the third round. Because unlike Aaron Jones, he had the height/weight tangibles, and he played in the best football conference in the country.

Secondly, he couples almost perfectly with Mark Ingram.  I mean its like Glenn Davis/Doc Blanchard. And the Saints coaching staff is really doing good stuff to maximize the coupling.  Sean Payton has always been good at scheming his offense to the talents of his players.  But he has really taken advantage of this one.  To the point that both these guys might make 1500 total yards from scrimmage. Which is really something considering AP was there for 6 games.

Very few people ever thought that, with the rise of the West Coast Offense,  you would ever see a team base their offense on their running backs again. But, if you live long enough, you see everything.  This is the best thing that could have happened to a declining Drew Brees.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Kamara/Ingram: The Best?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 08:18:40 AM »
I agree. I'm not sure what teams were not seeing in Kamara going into the draft?

He didn't have a stellar 40-time at the Combine (4.56).
But he had great vertical/broad jump numbers (39.5"/131"......respectively).

Plus, he was touted as a RB who could run pass routes as good/better than most WR's and had very excellent hands.

I had him on my Packer mock draft wish list (2nd round).

I think you hit the nail on the head though. Payton is astute at adapting his offense to fit the players and their talents.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 04:59:41 PM »
It happens. Antonio Brown, sixth round #195. Sometimes guys slip through the cracks. it happens, even with all the time, money and expertise spent on analyzing the prospects.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 05:27:56 AM »
Cant speak to "best duos" - but I think Kamara's gotta be a strong candidate for ROTY in the NFC. Could be others - but he's the name that keeps surfacing in my mind. As for the AFC? Hunt? Maybe?

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 08:07:02 AM »
It happens. Antonio Brown, sixth round #195. Sometimes guys slip through the cracks. it happens, even with all the time, money and expertise spent on analyzing the prospects.

Brown slipped through, most likely, because he played at Central Michigan. Lesser school/lesser conference.

Kamara played for Tennessee. High profile team in high profile conference (SEC).

Proven players from the SEC don't just slip through the cracks.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 04:01:43 PM »
MId-way thru the 4th Qtr today:

M. Ingram    
10 rushes for 83 yards (long 72) and 1 TD

A. Kamara
8 rushes for 60 yards (long 20) and 2 TDs

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 07:03:50 AM »
Do you think that maybe the Saint's oline is one of the better ones in the NFL? It's not just a RB having a great year, but the fact that their QB is as good as he is and that the line is proving holes big enough where the backs aren't even touched until they get pass the LOS.

It's similar to the Cowboys last year, except substitute Brees for Prescott.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 07:07:08 AM »

Brown slipped through, most likely, because he played at Central Michigan. Lesser school/lesser conference.

Kamara played for Tennessee. High profile team in high profile conference (SEC).

Proven players from the SEC don't just slip through the cracks.

IMO Kamara's issue was he was never a starter at TN.  He was an explosive, big chunk play change of pace back who never got a starters load of touches.  He looks like the real deal right now.  IMO there is not a RB in the NFL who is more fun to watch.  Dude looks legit. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 05:44:40 PM »
Well, it happened.

Both Ingram and Kamara ended up with total offense figures of over 1500 yards.

Which is really kind of amazing in these West Coast offense days.  Its a significant achievement to have one back do that, but two?

Payton may be on to something.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 08:00:45 AM »

IMO Kamara's issue was he was never a starter at TN.  He was an explosive, big chunk play change of pace back who never got a starters load of touches.  He looks like the real deal right now.  IMO there is not a RB in the NFL who is more fun to watch.  Dude looks legit.

This is exactly correct.

He was underused at Tennessee due to the presence of Hurd.  It wasn't until Hurd left the team midway through 2016 that Kamara started getting more reps.

Because of that I think there were questions about how he would stand up to a full load of work.

New Orleans is the perfect place for him- Ingram is there to split the carries, and Brees makes excellent use of the RB in th passing game.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."