February 19, 2018, 10:04:06 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Vikings v Packers Game Day Thread (Saturday, 7:30 CST)  (Read 2639 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
For the first time in nearly a decade, the season will end with game 16. No playoffs, just playing out the string toward the end of the season. And, I hate to even type this, but I hope they lose these last two games. Because at this point, if the Packers win the last two games, they'll be picking at around #20. Lose both and they're at #9; that was enough to catch my attention in a big way. Since the season is officially over, its time to not exactly give up, but definitely time to "play it safe" and protect your banged up players (basically the entire roster, in truth) and go with the reserves. This goes against every shred and particle of my being. But, like putting AR on IR, its the smart thing to do. OK, lets be honest, its time to tank the final two games to get a much better draft position.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Vikings v Packers Game Day Thread (Saturday, 7:30 CST)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 06:32:14 PM »
You may want to look at that again, it is not possible for the Packers to end up with a top 10 pick based on end of season standings.

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 08:23:21 PM »
I don’t think they intentionally try and tank the last two games - not in their DNA.  Nor do I think they win the last two games - not with our key guys out and with Minny needing to win for home field advantage. 

Defensively, I hope Capers - who apparently isn’t ready to retire - throws caution to the wind, simplifies the scheme, and lets the guys go berzerk.  Can’t look much worse letting them go out and play with reckless abandon.  Better than standing around looking confused.
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 07:34:43 AM »
Today's the day. What type game will it bring us?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 10:48:50 AM »
Today's captains will be TE Richard Rodgers (offense), DE Dean Lowry (defense) and LB Jake Ryan (special teams).

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 10:51:04 AM »
Packers vs. Vikings
All-time, Regular season: 59-51-2
All-time, Postseason: 1-1
All-time, in Lambeau Field: 23-18-2
Streaks: The Packers are 10-3-2 in their last 15 meetings with the Vikings.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 10:57:55 AM »
Play the reserves rest the vets.  Now is the time to evaluate the roster for next year.  A rare opportunity.  Anyone with any type of significant injury should sit.  The Packers will play hard for sure just without their best players on the field.  Agree I hope they don't win either of the next two games but hope at least they are entertaining.   Really this should be treated like preseason. 

As for Capers defended him many times in the past mainly on the basis of all the injuries.  But even I a supporter agrees it's time for him to go.  He presided over the worst defensive stretch I can ever remember.  Whatever he has been doing itsn't working and hasn't in many years.  Ultimately it is MM's decision but if he fails to make the change it will be his butt on the hot seat. 

Just want to see the Packers put the hurt on the Vikings.  Don't care if they win just want to put a lick on them.  Especially Barr I hope he gets rocked.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 12:01:54 PM »
This one might get ugly, but it would not bother me if the Packers, during the normal course of the game got even with the Vikes. The Rodgers deal was a late hit that was not called. If someone landed on Keenum wrong on a clean hit, the Vikes might get a taste of thier own medicine. I also would be happy to see Barr get leveled with a nasty, but legal crack back block when we wasn't looking.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 01:19:21 PM »
Obviously it’s unlikely the Packers win this game, but I’d be absolutely delighted for them to make some plays on special teams, maybe a defensive touchdown, and send the troll-queens home with a lump of coal in their Christmas stocking!

I’m not on board to hope for a loss for the sake of maybe moving up in the draft a spot or two. I’d be much happier to see obnoxious purple people crawl back under their rocks after a loss to the Packer second and third stringers. GO PACKERS!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 02:46:56 PM »
You may want to look at that again, it is not possible for the Packers to end up with a top 10 pick based on end of season standings.

Quite possibly. But which would you prefer- a ninth/tenth, or a 20th? In every round? The details to me are, in this case, less important than the overall impact. Lose two and pick in the top ten. Win two and pick in the early 20's (again, depending on how everything else shakes out). Either way, two losses guarantee the Packers significantly earlier chances at the guys who might help turn the tide for the team next season.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 02:49:25 PM by ricky »

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 02:56:02 PM »
This one might get ugly, but it would not bother me if the Packers, during the normal course of the game got even with the Vikes. The Rodgers deal was a late hit that was not called. If someone landed on Keenum wrong on a clean hit, the Vikes might get a taste of thier own medicine. I also would be happy to see Barr get leveled with a nasty, but legal crack back block when we wasn't looking.

Dont disagree but also dont think this team has an "enforcer" mentality or individual. Maybe if Lang or Sitton were still around.
I mean, Davante's had his head handed to him twice with dead on shots. Anybody pay a price? Perhaps I missed it.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 02:56:43 PM »

Enough with the revenge scenarios, unless you want to argue that two wrongs make a right. Barr was not flagged, and the league didn't penalize him. Was it a necessary shot? No. He could have simply hugged Rodgers, or shoved him a bit, rather than continue the tackle and drive AR into the ground. Did he want to hurt AR? Doubtful. Shake him up, make him more aware of the pass rush, more likely to throw a second earlier? Absolutely.

But lets look at your possible scenarios. So, Keenum gets hurt, is that going to undo the Rodgers injury? Will it make anyone on the Packers happy, or give them a feeling of satisfaction? And a crackback on Barr? Like when Sapp leveled Clifton? That kind of hit? Cheap but legal? No thanks.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 03:16:20 PM »

Enough with the revenge scenarios, unless you want to argue that two wrongs make a right. Barr was not flagged, and the league didn't penalize him. Was it a necessary shot? No. He could have simply hugged Rodgers, or shoved him a bit, rather than continue the tackle and drive AR into the ground. Did he want to hurt AR? Doubtful. Shake him up, make him more aware of the pass rush, more likely to throw a second earlier? Absolutely.

But lets look at your possible scenarios. So, Keenum gets hurt, is that going to undo the Rodgers injury? Will it make anyone on the Packers happy, or give them a feeling of satisfaction? And a crackback on Barr? Like when Sapp leveled Clifton? That kind of hit? Cheap but legal? No thanks.

We see things differently! I stand by my post and won't be upset if we get Barr in particular, but if we knock out Keenum in the normal flow of the game, so be it too.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 03:26:57 PM »

+1.   

I don't want the Packers to become a dirty team. they haven't been that for as long as I've been watching them (since the latter days of of Chuck Cecil), though the odd incident has happened, as with any team. I like to descibe the Packers attitude to how they play the game as professional, and though others may want more aggression (with the penalties that go with that), I'm happy if I see a team that plays hard but (comparatively) fair. I don't count the pushing and shoving that goes on for maybe one second after the whistle, nor the rush to protect a player that is being harassed by the other team.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 03:27:34 PM »
For the first time in nearly a decade, the season will end with game 16. No playoffs, just playing out the string toward the end of the season. And, I hate to even type this, but I hope they lose these last two games. Because at this point, if the Packers win the last two games, they'll be picking at around #20. Lose both and they're at #9; that was enough to catch my attention in a big way.

Fair enough ricky, but I REALLY hope you’ll spare us the “Rah, Rah I’m loyal to this team no matter what!” platitudes in the future.

As for your projected draft order, I’m not going to pretend to know how it will shake out, but I DID run the current NFL standings in reverse order:

http://insider.espn.com/nfl/standings/_/type/expanded/sort/losses/group/1

There are presently 16 teams with records ranging from 5-9 to 8-6, and there are ALOT of variables involved in how the final draft order will be determined. You may be right about your draft predictions, but I’m curious about how you arrived at those conclusions. It seems as if you are assuming many things will come to fruition...

Having written all this, DO take it with a few grains salt. I’m in a bit of a Grinchlike mood today...

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 03:31:33 PM by JQ »