May 24, 2018, 06:56:15 AM

Author Topic: Question for my Badger fan friends  (Read 1026 times)

Offline packdaddy

• All Pro
Question for my Badger fan friends
« on: December 27, 2017, 08:50:23 AM »
I've seen Badgers LB TJ Edwards listed anywhere from a 2nd-4th rounder as in Inside Linebacker.  My question for those of you who have watched him play for 3 years is this:

Assuming he declares for the draft, does he have the speed and athletic ability to cover the Tight Ends and Running Backs?  I love Martinez and Ryan as run stoppers, but we need that coverage guy.  I know he has 7 ints and 13 passes defended during his career, but I haven't seen him play.

Could Edwards be that missing piece in the middle of our defense?

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Question for my Badger fan friends
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 12:22:52 PM »
You have Josh jones for that. Best to see how he develops next year before wasting a pick (especially one in the 2-4 range) at a position group you don't need.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »
I've seen Badgers LB TJ Edwards listed anywhere from a 2nd-4th rounder as in Inside Linebacker.  My question for those of you who have watched him play for 3 years is this:

Assuming he declares for the draft, does he have the speed and athletic ability to cover the Tight Ends and Running Backs?  I love Martinez and Ryan as run stoppers, but we need that coverage guy.  I know he has 7 ints and 13 passes defended during his career, but I haven't seen him play.

I could be wrong, but I don't see Edwards as that type of player.

I feel like he is more of a short zone type defender.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 06:35:34 PM »

IMO, barring major injury, TJ Edwards will be a solid LBer in the nfl for a long time. Not sure about straight line speed, but I think he is more than fast enough to go sideline to sideline. He has nfl strength right now, (something that UW prospects often need work on) and is a thumper on the inside, without being typecast or pigeon-holed as such. He can cover, and so he can stay on the field all three downs. Most of all, he is incredibly smart and instinctive. He takes so few false steps that he nearly always is in the right place, and thus is frequently in position to make big plays. Leadership. Good character. High energy.

He will make some team happy.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 06:36:58 PM by morango »

Offline packdaddy

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 07:01:44 PM »
You have Josh jones for that.

That didn't work out supergreat this year.  But maybe in time.  Gotta shore up the middle of the field somehow.

Offline packdaddy

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 07:03:01 PM »

That's a pretty glowing review.  That's what I see when I watch the youtube highlights.  But youtube doesn't show you the lowlights.  That's why I'm turning to those who have actually watched him play for a while. 

IMO, barring major injury, TJ Edwards will be a solid LBer in the nfl for a long time. Not sure about straight line speed, but I think he is more than fast enough to go sideline to sideline. He has nfl strength right now, (something that UW prospects often need work on) and is a thumper on the inside, without being typecast or pigeon-holed as such. He can cover, and so he can stay on the field all three downs. Most of all, he is incredibly smart and instinctive. He takes so few false steps that he nearly always is in the right place, and thus is frequently in position to make big plays. Leadership. Good character. High energy.

He will make some team happy.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 09:42:34 PM »
You have Josh jones for that.

That didn't work out supergreat this year.  But maybe in time.  Gotta shore up the middle of the field somehow.

They also just need guys who can play the position instead of drafting a safety to play some snaps as a LB because the ones you have couldn't cover a toddler with a king-sized blanket.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."