May 26, 2018, 06:36:00 AM

Author Topic: Did I read correctly?  (Read 4926 times)

Offline AZPackfan

• Starter
Did I read correctly?
« on: December 30, 2017, 08:16:10 AM »
Forum and site shutting down next month?
"Wherever you go, you represent the team. You will talk like, you will look like and you will act like the most dignified professional in your hometown" - Vince Lombardi to his players.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Did I read correctly?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 01:44:52 PM »
Help me out. Where on the site is this posted? Because this would be the second time a site has shut down that I was deeply involved in. I don't consider the demise of that weasel who created a rival site, tried to lure as many PCers as possible, then went belly up because the site simply became an echo chaamber, rather than a site where robust debate was not only allowed, but encouraged.   
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline stillcrazee

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 02:38:59 PM »
Ricky,

It's on the home page of the site.

http://www.packerchatters.com/home.html

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 03:33:12 PM »
Ricky,

It's on the home page of the site.

http://www.packerchatters.com/home.html

I never read that until now. I just logged onto the forums and let 'er rip. Well, its LMG's right to do what he thinks is best. But to punish the thousands who visit this site daily, and fine it a source of joy, irritation and inspiration due to the actions of a few players doesn't seem proportional to the perceived insult.. IF that is the reason. Until Larry decides to share his reasoning, we can only speculate. I hope LMG and family are all in good health, and that alternative sites will be offered so the landing for us posters will be a bit softer. I can only say thanks for the huge enjoyment you've affored me for years, and I hope this finds you at peace with your decision.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:33:55 PM by ricky »

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 03:38:24 PM »
Yes we will be shutting down the PC website which includes our forums early in early January as stated in our announcement on the PC home page. The reasons are mine and mine alone.

With that I am 71 and we have been traveling in our RV since 2012 seeing and enjoying what we haven't already of our beautiful Country.

All the best.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:39:47 PM by LMG »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline BrianShetty

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 04:05:24 PM »
 :'( damn sorry to read that. Feel in love with the site ages ago and it is one of the best ways for me who lives in NJ to access information I do not get to have in my local area. Reminds me of bucksketball.com shutting down honestly. Thank you to this great site for everything and the packet fans that made this an enjoyable site for me
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
-Vince Lombardi

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 06:05:37 PM »
Perhaps there could be a discussion about all migrating together to a specific different site, to decide where we should all go before this site closes. Normally you wouldn't promote other sites, but in this specific case, perhaps that would be ok ? I'd be happy to start a thread on this myself, unless the mods/owner would rather do that themselves.

Edit. Since i saw elsewhere this site would shut down in a day or two, I'd better start that thread now and let the admins/owner rule as they wish
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 06:10:40 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 06:33:23 PM »
Here are some possibilities. I reject the J-S out of hand, since I heard its pretty unmoderated, and therefore gets pretty bad. But some of the others- Acme, Jersey Al, for example, look interesting. Check them out, but keep in mind, time is of the essence.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1212177-7-websites-and-forums-every-green-bay-packers-fan-should-visit

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 06:46:55 PM »
 This has been my only site since 2001. Thank you for all the great years and best of luck.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 06:48:40 PM »
Here are some possibilities. I reject the J-S out of hand, since I heard its pretty unmoderated, and therefore gets pretty bad. But some of the others- Acme, Jersey Al, for example, look interesting. Check them out, but keep in mind, time is of the essence.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1212177-7-websites-and-forums-every-green-bay-packers-fan-should-visit

I like the jersey Al Cheesehead TV site but it doesn't have a proper forum page, you just comment on the postings of a few select writers.
On The seperate Jersey Al site  (not Cheesehead TV) that is merging with Cheesehead TV, but again, I see no forum

http://www.packerwire.net/index.php is a proper forum site, it just has very little traffic. That would change big-time if all the posters here migrated there. I used to help moderate that site myself. It might need a new moderator or two if it becomes as busy as this site. Downside is the owner of the site hasn't posted there for years, though she keeps it running.
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/fanposts is another site with a fanpost section. don't know much about that site, the layout is less familiar (to PC fans) than the Packerwire site.

Finally, thanks to the owner and the mods here, for all their work over the years to keep the site up, running, and sorting out problems. This site will be sorely missed.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 07:03:43 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 06:58:01 PM »

I like the jersey Al Cheesehead TV site but it doesn't have a proper forum page, you just comment on the postings of a few select writers.
On The seperate Jersey Al site  (not Cheesehead TV) that is merging with Cheesehead TV, but again, I see no forum

Packerwire is a proper forum site, it just has very little traffic. That would change big-time if all the posters here migrated there. I used to help moderate that site myself.

Finally, thanks to the owner and the mods here, for all their work over the years to keep the site up, running, and sorting out problems. This site will be sorely missed.

Couldn't get your link to work, so I'll post this: http://www.packerwire.net  I hope this is the one you meant. It looks promising. Definitely worth strong consideration. Thank you!

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 07:01:55 PM »
They were not links, just highlighted, but good idea, I'll change them into links now.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 07:04:06 PM by OneTwoSixFive »

Offline Striker

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 08:36:22 PM »
I'm an admin over at badgerstatesports.net .

We do have a forum. It's not anywhere near as active as here, but there are still a couple dozen of us still posting. I know a few who are here used to post there. All are welcome as we certainly want more focused on football talk and not just why TT sucks or not.

Outside of here, there, PackerRats, and Scout.com I don't know of many other places with super active communities.

Reddit, I suppose.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 07:52:42 AM »
I'm sorry to hear this site is closing down.  I've really enjoyed talking to you all over the years and consider you friends even if we never met.  Thanks Larry!   clap)

I post on other forums besides this one.  One is Footballs Future.  It is a huge site with subforums for all the other teams along with other sports like College FB and baseball.  The Packers' subforum is very active and we have the most members (of course!).  It is very moderated and they don't put up with trolling or talking about other members or fan bases.  Each subforum has moderators who keep us in line.   ;D

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/forum/40-green-bay-packers/

Another good one is Packersnews.net.  It too is very active.  Packerrats is active but the language there is kinda salty.   ;)  If you can get past that the guys there do know their stuff.

http://packersnews.net/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=793dd3911f6a4262c454e964fed97eec

http://packerrats.com/forumdisplay.php?9-Green-Bay-Packers

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 08:21:24 AM »
Thanks Pugger. I've added those links to my bookmarks. I've signed on at Packersfuture for now, but I'll troll other sites if this one is not taken over by someone else and ceases to be, to see which seems the most active, insightful and reasonably moderated.

I recommend that all posters at PC use the same username as they do here, at least for a month or two, so we can recognise each other, elsewhere.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:22:12 AM by OneTwoSixFive »