August 21, 2018, 08:21:04 AM

Author Topic: With the 14th pick in the 2018 NFL draft...  (Read 8899 times)

Offline OnaBadger58

• Starter
Re: With the 14th pick in the 2018 NFL draft...
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2018, 02:11:51 PM »
I think they've spent way too much draft capital on the defensive side recently. I'd like to see a receiver taken first.
I'm starting to feel that way too. It's tough because OLB and CB are pretty big weaknesses and are really important for a successful defense, but at some point you cannot ignore the offensive side of the ball in the first 4 rounds. Rodgers needs a new playmaker around him.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »
They could get the top long snapper in the draft with the 14th pick and have that position taken care of for the next 10-12 years. :)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2018, 02:22:22 PM »
Might be a good year to go and get a few quality free agents as well. A WR and CB to start. I don't see any decent pass rushers that will initially be available. A few could become cap casualties however.

As for the 14th pick, onetwosixfive posted some really good players. I would love for Chubb to slide to us, but see no way that happens.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline pacman5252

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2018, 02:34:12 PM »
I think they've spent way too much draft capital on the defensive side recently. I'd like to see a receiver taken first.
I'm starting to feel that way too. It's tough because OLB and CB are pretty big weaknesses and are really important for a successful defense, but at some point you cannot ignore the offensive side of the ball in the first 4 rounds. Rodgers needs a new playmaker around him.

I totally get this feeling. I would probably go pass rusher round 1 though, then invest in the O for the following reasons;

1. If you take a look at where GB has drafted the last 5 years, they haven't really had a chance to get a top pass rusher/difference maker at LB;

2013 NFL draft; pick 26 (D Jones)- next 3 LB/DE- Alec Olgeltree, M Teo, K Minter (pick 30, 38, 45... none of them edge guys)
2014- Pick 21 Dix- next 3 LB/DE- Marcus Smith, D Lawrence, Kyle V Noy (26,34, 40)
2015- pick 30 D Randal- next 3 LB/DE- S Anthony, Mario Edwards JR, Preston Smith (31, 35, 38)
2016-  pic 27 K Clark- Next 3 Kevin Dodd, Jaylon Smith, Myles Jack (33, 34, 36)
2017  pick 33 Kevin King- Tyus Bowser, Ryan Anderson, Demarcus Walker (47, 49, 51).. could have gotten TJ watt if didn't trade down

Out of these LB/DE there is one stud, D Lawrence (who would have been a big reach for us that our fanbase would have flamed on), and maybe TJ Watt if he improves. There is such a premium on rushers, I think if we finally have the chance at getting an impact rusher, we kind of have to take him.

2. I feel like this year's WR class isn't really stellar. I like Washington and Ridley, but neither are super burners worth the 14. I want nothing to do with Sutton (tall lanky WRs don't really do too much after the catch)... In addition, it seems like we've had so much success drafting WRs rounds 2-3. I'd be cool burning a 2 or 3 on one.

Offline OnaBadger58

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2018, 02:42:07 PM »

I totally get this feeling. I would probably go pass rusher round 1 though, then invest in the O for the following reasons;

1. If you take a look at where GB has drafted the last 5 years, they haven't really had a chance to get a top pass rusher/difference maker at LB;

2013 NFL draft; pick 26 (D Jones)- next 3 LB/DE- Alec Olgeltree, M Teo, K Minter (pick 30, 38, 45... none of them edge guys)
2014- Pick 21 Dix- next 3 LB/DE- Marcus Smith, D Lawrence, Kyle V Noy (26,34, 40)
2015- pick 30 D Randal- next 3 LB/DE- S Anthony, Mario Edwards JR, Preston Smith (31, 35, 38)
2016-  pic 27 K Clark- Next 3 Kevin Dodd, Jaylon Smith, Myles Jack (33, 34, 36)
2017  pick 33 Kevin King- Tyus Bowser, Ryan Anderson, Demarcus Walker (47, 49, 51).. could have gotten TJ watt if didn't trade down

Out of these LB/DE there is one stud, D Lawrence (who would have been a big reach for us that our fanbase would have flamed on), and maybe TJ Watt if he improves. There is such a premium on rushers, I think if we finally have the chance at getting an impact rusher, we kind of have to take him.

2. I feel like this year's WR class isn't really stellar. I like Washington and Ridley, but neither are super burners worth the 14. I want nothing to do with Sutton (tall lanky WRs don't really do too much after the catch)... In addition, it seems like we've had so much success drafting WRs rounds 2-3. I'd be cool burning a 2 or 3 on one.

Right good pass rushers don't last in the draft. I'm a big fan of Sutton, so I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him or Ridley getting drafted at 14. If Christian Kirk would last until our second pick, I would take a OLB/CB first.  I just have a feeling Kirk will crush the combine and become a top 25 pick.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2018, 02:47:01 PM »
I think it will be the top OLB or top CB on the board at #14, unless they have both of them ranked lower.

If that’s the case they may try and trade down with a QB starved team and grab an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick.

This might be a year the go for quantity of picks to try and improve the talent depth on this team.

Don't forget we already have a bevvy of picks. I believe it's likely to break down as: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 7, 7.

Oh, I know how many picks they have.

But let’s say that Buffalo wants to move up and take a QB prospects at #14, especially with other QB needy teams waiting at 15-16-17, and they are willing to trade their two 1st round picks to do so (#22 & #24).

Would that not be something to consider?

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2018, 02:48:07 PM »
I know no one wants to think about a trade down, but I was just thinking we're in pretty good position if that's what we decide to do. Jumping one spot ahead of Arizona (#15) could make us a really attractive trade partner for a team like the Chargers (#17), Bills, Saints, Steelers, etc. wanting one of the QBs.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2018, 02:49:30 PM »

But let’s say that Buffalo wants to move up and take a QB prospects at #14, especially with other QB needy teams waiting at 15-16-17, and they are willing to trade their two 1st round picks to do so (#22 & #24).

Absolutely it would.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2018, 02:53:27 PM »
I know no one wants to think about a trade down, but I was just thinking we're in pretty good position if that's what we decide to do. Jumping one spot ahead of Arizona (#15) could make us a really attractive trade partner for a team like the Chargers (#17), Bills, Saints, Steelers, etc. wanting one of the QBs.

Fairly soon (2019 or 2020 I'd guess)  the Packers might need to trade away the top pick for a higher one the following year. This is all about positioning yourself the following year with two first round picks. That is the kind of ammo essential for going up for a high pick at QB.

If/when that happens it will be WAY more unpopular than trading back a few spots, but that might be the smartest move, long term.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2018, 02:56:58 PM »

Why wouldn't you take a good deal if it came your way. At #22, #24 you'd still get a very talented player...........except that now you can get two of them.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline pacman5252

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2018, 03:01:45 PM »

Why wouldn't you take a good deal if it came your way. At #22, #24 you'd still get a very talented player...........except that now you can get two of them.

If  we could get 2 1s, I'd definitely be willing to move down. With that said though, we do need pass rushers and there is usually a drop off

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2018, 03:25:17 PM »
I think it will be the top OLB or top CB on the board at #14, unless they have both of them ranked lower.

If that’s the case they may try and trade down with a QB starved team and grab an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick.

This might be a year the go for quantity of picks to try and improve the talent depth on this team.

Don't forget we already have a bevvy of picks. I believe it's likely to break down as: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 7, 7.

If the top pass rushers and the inside linebacker from Georgia are gone, there is nothing to consider, you trade. Another thought is if those teams at 15, 16, 17 are clamoring to come up and your guy is there at 14, you could move 1 spot, grab a second based on supply and demand and still get your guy.

We are not in a bad position is one of those QB's falls.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2018, 08:28:15 PM »
You mean Landry and Ferrell, it's easier when you put names to them.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Sorry I got lazy!
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2018, 07:04:27 AM »
Ferrell and Landry are the two I would be looking at @ 14 as well.

Offline Redt

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2018, 09:03:18 AM »
You have to go BPA at 14, the only position I would not draft at 14 is QB. The dilemma is, what if Nelson is there, do you pick a guard, I don't think TT would have, but the new guy might.