August 22, 2018, 12:07:45 AM

Author Topic: With the 14th pick in the 2018 NFL draft...  (Read 8904 times)

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: With the 14th pick in the 2018 NFL draft...
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2018, 06:08:27 PM »
I still don't think any pass rushers outside Chubb are worth that 14 pick. Best guy up probably that OT from Notre Dame. A needed position meets BPA.

Unless you believe that Buluga is getting cut, I don't see how an OT is a need.  We aren't far removed from making a significant investment into Spriggs.

Bulaga and Spriggs are essentially out until TC and maybe longer. It's not a strong position at this point so BPA may be that ND OT.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2018, 10:12:13 AM »
Bulaga and Spriggs are essentially out until TC and maybe longer. It's not a strong position at this point so BPA may be that ND OT.

Probably true in Bulaga's case, though I thought Spriggs might be back rather earlier. If Spriggs can be well past his injury in TC and with Murphy back as well, then I could live with Bulaga on pup for 6 weeks, before coming in and starting. Not an ideal situation, but no disaster either. I'd probably still draft an OT, but I wouldn't rate it a priority pick - they go to OLB, WR, CB, TE.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2018, 12:49:13 PM »
I originally thought the pick would be the CB from IA, but now, I think they may trade out.
Even if they are unsure about KK's surgery recovery, I think the Redskins may draft JJ and he won't be available to GB at 14.
In that case, unless the Packers are targeting a LB they think is moving up a la CMIII, the top pass rushers will be gone at 14, and pick 14 seems like a high pick on the remaining talent.
If someone really wants to pick a QB, GB could get some real value by trading down and picking up another 1 or early 2.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2018, 06:25:12 PM »
I personally love Key. He's got a wicked first step and he's a slippery sucker. Watch him engage a blocker and just slip passed them, barely bends and dips to do it too which is interesting.

I find his red flag as a blessing in disguise. He can clearly put on weight, and being on the smaller side that's encouraging.

Davenport looks like he might get the Mack effect during the draft process and end up being the first pass rusher taken.

I think between the two Key will be the better pass rusher and that's all that counts in my book.

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2018, 11:31:36 AM »
Yes, if Key is there, he would be an outstanding pick.
I think he may be picked before 14.  Hope I am wrong on that.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2018, 05:29:08 PM »
Read an article today that said 4 QB's go in the top 13 picks (Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield)............Let's say they are right, even if it isn't exactly those names (Rudolph could be inserted anywhere in there).

That leaves 9 other players to be chosen and still leave Key, or one of the other top pass-rushers to still be on the board.

Who might those other 9 players be?

Here's my best guess:
Bradley Chubb
Roquan Smith
Tremaine Edmunds
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Derwin James
Saquon Barkley
Orlando Brown
Quenton Nelson
Marcus Davenport

Now there's other names to consider that could be in that "other 9" as well..........
Mike McGlinchey
Courtland Sutton
Brian O'Neil
Derrius Guice

I think there's a fairly decent chance that Key is still on the board at #14. Either him or Davenport. I wouldn't complain about Joshua Jackson either.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2018, 07:28:16 PM »
I don't think any position(s) will be targeted by the Packers with the 1st round pick, but instead just drafting the player with the highest grade when it is their choice. If one of the QB's slip and he is the highest rated player on their board, take him. I don't believe it is out of the realm of possibility to see them draft a player at any position with that first pick.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2018, 10:24:23 PM »
Read an article today that said 4 QB's go in the top 13 picks (Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield)............Let's say they are right, even if it isn't exactly those names (Rudolph could be inserted anywhere in there).

That leaves 9 other players to be chosen and still leave Key, or one of the other top pass-rushers to still be on the board.

Who might those other 9 players be?

Here's my best guess:
Bradley Chubb
Roquan Smith
Tremaine Edmunds
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Derwin James
Saquon Barkley
Orlando Brown
Quenton Nelson
Marcus Davenport

Now there's other names to consider that could be in that "other 9" as well..........
Mike McGlinchey
Courtland Sutton
Brian O'Neil
Derrius Guice

I think there's a fairly decent chance that Key is still on the board at #14. Either him or Davenport. I wouldn't complain about Joshua Jackson either.

Always tough to pinpoint where the Packers will go.  We are months away from the draft and even before the combine.   Love reading mocks and evals of players but I stand by what I've said for years.  We try to figure out who the Packers will pick, but even when the Packers are on the clock and 13 players have gone off the board.
 Most people still wont get it right and we know who is gone already.  Always fun to speculate though.     

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2018, 01:03:18 PM »

Always tough to pinpoint where the Packers will go.  We are months away from the draft and even before the combine.   Love reading mocks and evals of players but I stand by what I've said for years.  We try to figure out who the Packers will pick, but even when the Packers are on the clock and 13 players have gone off the board.
 Most people still wont get it right and we know who is gone already.  Always fun to speculate though.     

This is so true. 
But, I must say that I was so annoyed with TT last year that I completely skipped the whole draft process.  Afterwards I did feel like I missed out and felt partially responsible for the Packers draft because I wasn't screaming at the TV, helping TT & the Packers make the correct choice. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2018, 03:23:10 PM »
The more I read about Harold Landry and his 2017 injury (happened in the 5th game against Virginia Tech), the more I am interested to see his measurables and performance at the NFL Combine.

If he's more like the player of 2016 rather than 2017, then I can get more excited about this player and what he might offer to the Packers pass rush.
I did read a piece that projects as a better player for a 4-3 defense as opposed to 3-4.

Not sold on him yet, but not discarding him as a prospect either.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2018, 06:44:03 AM »
Tremain Edmunds.  Pack go with the BPA.  Pettine will find a role for him. 

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2018, 07:28:26 AM »
Landry Edmonds, Davenport, Key. While they each have flaws, they also each have some very elite skills. So whichever (if any) of them are drafted, they each have the potential to be really disruptive edge rushers. It's a while since the Packers have had that kind of choice at pass rusher (even though it's likely that Chubb and one other rusher goes before the Pack pick).
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2018, 02:43:48 PM »
 Everything is speculation until the combine is done.