August 21, 2018, 12:56:22 PM

Author Topic: Unbelievable, Really  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
Re: Unbelievable, Really
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 02:16:24 PM »
You have a data source on this Twain or is it from an article? Was wondering where the GBPs ranked.

Here you go. Its only the top twenty teams, but shows current franchise value. The other stats are locked under pay-per-view:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/the-20-most-valuable-nfl-teams-in-2016-ranked/8/

But then again, the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas, and they definitely needed to make a splash, per this article from NBC:

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raiders/how-jon-gruden-became-worth-any-price-mark-davis-and-raiders

Thanks Ricky. I really dont care who OAK pulls down for HC or what they pay him. Is he worth it? Its their money and/or loss if it turns out to be the case. My only caveat about Gruden is he took Dungy's roster to the SB - an accomplishment, not dissing it - but it was Dungy's roster - and he had the luxury of playing in the SB against the one AFC team he knew both offensive and defensive playbooks like the back of his hand. He knew what Gannon was gonna do with the ball before Gannon did. Again, he won it - no problem - just say'in - he never sniffed it again.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 02:30:09 PM »
Here is actually a link to revenue breakdowns- updated for 2017.  Ricky's list is just team valuation, not revenue health, so to speak.

https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

In 2017, the Raiders had operating income of only 41 million on revenue of 321 million.   Another 10 to 15 million on the cap without increased revenue, eventually that number goes to zero, especially if you fully guarantee a 100 million contract to a guy that has never been 10 years in one place.

Going to Vegas will help, but only if you can fill the stadium.  That's why I think all the hype- trying to create excitement to sell tickets in the new city.

"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 08:05:06 PM »
I am confused.

Does the revenue mean just local revenue or is it a combination of both network revenue and local revenue?

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 04:18:08 AM »
I am confused.

Does the revenue mean just local revenue or is it a combination of both network revenue and local revenue?

The team revenues are a combination if network and local revenue. 

The large disparity is due to much of the local revenue not being shared, so large market teams with community money building high revenue generating stadiums creates much more local, unshared revenue.

Salary Cap is determined by total revenue, not just network revenue.

This is why the concern over falling ratings may overstated the case.  Teams like the Cowboys have enormous local revenue, so a bit of a fall in network revenue won't affect them much as long as the fans show up and fill the stadium and buy stuff while they are there.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 09:58:07 AM »
It’s also why GB is developing the Titletown District, which is non-shared revenue as well.

Revenue streams outside of “NFL” proprietary revenue are the best way a team can stay financially viable in an ever changing marketplace. Especially small market teams like the Packers.

I don’t know what the long range financial plan that the Raiders may have, but (being in Vegas) I’m sure they won’t be relying strictly on tv, nfl merchandise, and ticket sales. It would be wise for them to have dining, shopping, and other revenue generators in their plan. And I’m sure concerts/events at the new stadium would greatly enhance off-season revenue as well.