August 21, 2018, 12:56:10 PM

Author Topic: Joe Philbin re-hire  (Read 1054 times)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
Joe Philbin re-hire
« on: January 24, 2018, 10:56:52 AM »
If 'No' who was?
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Joe Philbin re-hire
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 12:36:33 PM »
I never had anyone down for OC, but the most important thing for me is that both the OC and DC hires feel like sizeable upgrades, from what was there.

Did you see their introductory press meetings, both impressed me.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 01:43:40 PM »
I said "NO" but only because I didn't know he was without a "gig" to be working at the time they indicated he was coming back to GB.

I am very happy that Green Bay has him back! It was his offensive game plans that made the Rodgers QB'd offense of 09'-10'-11' rock like it hasn't since then.

MM may call the plays in game, but it was Philbin who put together the game plan that MM called.

I'm sure AR has to be very pleased to have Philbin back in the same capacity as before.

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 02:33:04 PM »
He was great at implementing the game plan during the week. The players loved him. It has been something that has been lacking since he left.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 02:37:32 PM »
Wasn't there a groundswell of opinion that MM should give up game playcalling? And that Philbin b  e given a shot? And if memory serves, it didn't go well. The offense was sluggish and showed no rhythm. So MM took the playcalling duties back, and things ran more smoothly.

OK, here we go. Google is really cool! First, from 2015, whether MM should continue to call plays during the game, which some said was a good idea:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2351423-should-mike-mccarthy-give-up-play-calling-for-packers-offense

So, they tried it, and the results, as I correctly recalled, were not good, so this article from 2016:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/08/04/mike-mccarthy-play-calling-aaron-rodgers-offense-green-bay/88267466/

So, this seems like more of a lateral move, another move where MM has shown he survived the purge, and came out stronger. Because he is getting "his" guys on staff. The real question becomes, if someone falters, or it becomes apparent changes should be made, will MM stick with his previous habits of being loyal to "his guys"?

Stay tuned.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 05:12:47 PM »
Wasn't there a groundswell of opinion that MM should give up game playcalling? And that Philbin b  e given a shot? And if memory serves, it didn't go well. The offense was sluggish and showed no rhythm. So MM took the playcalling duties back, and things ran more smoothly.

OK, here we go. Google is really cool! First, from 2015, whether MM should continue to call plays during the game, which some said was a good idea:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2351423-should-mike-mccarthy-give-up-play-calling-for-packers-offense

So, they tried it, and the results, as I correctly recalled, were not good, so this article from 2016:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/08/04/mike-mccarthy-play-calling-aaron-rodgers-offense-green-bay/88267466/

So, this seems like more of a lateral move, another move where MM has shown he survived the purge, and came out stronger. Because he is getting "his" guys on staff. The real question becomes, if someone falters, or it becomes apparent changes should be made, will MM stick with his previous habits of being loyal to "his guys"?

Stay tuned.

It was Tom Clements that took on the play-calling in 2015. Philbin had been gone for three years.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 05:20:56 PM »
It was Tom Clements that took on the play-calling in 2015. Philbin had been gone for three years.

Yhsnk you you for the correction.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »
philbin was the one whose kid committed suicide just before the playoffs and screwed up the whole team.

yah, I know that's harsh, but suicide is always a very selfish act and this one was particularly selfish. I say this as someone who has 13 friends dead of suicide.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 10:15:31 PM »
Man, I’m absolutely thrilled with the coaching additions/changes!  I haven’t felt this optimistic in years!  This team has talented players, and with a fresh new perspective and playbooks, I can’t but help to be very optimistic and excited about our prospects.  Three cheers for the Packers org!
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Offline heikks86

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 11:26:09 AM »
philbin was the one whose kid committed suicide just before the playoffs and screwed up the whole team.

yah, I know that's harsh, but suicide is always a very selfish act and this one was particularly selfish. I say this as someone who has 13 friends dead of suicide.

His son didn’t commit suicide he drowned in the fox river

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »

Sorry to hear that. I've known one and I think of him all the time.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 12:29:31 PM »
Also, Philbin brought a different mindset to the offense that none who followed him could duplicate. He attacks the defense using what he has, either running to set-up the pass or passing to set-up the run. He was a master that was able to tap into MM's desire and make it work.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!