May 20, 2018, 07:01:54 AM

Author Topic: 49ers, Jimmy Garoppolo agree to five-year deal  (Read 320 times)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
49ers, Jimmy Garoppolo agree to five-year deal
« on: February 08, 2018, 11:56:57 AM »
The 49ers have their franchise quarterback locked up for years to come.

Jimmy Garoppolo has agreed to a five-year deal with the 49ers, according to multiple reports.

More here....
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:59:13 AM by LMG »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: 49ers, Jimmy Garoppolo agree to five-year deal
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 12:19:48 PM »
$137.5m / 5yrs, $27.5m / yr.  $74m guaranteed.  5 wins, 7td, 5 int.

Maybe Aaron is worth 30m?

Is Garoppolo a Roethlesberger / Brees / Wilson / Rodgers / Brady level of talent? Is its yes, the 49ers are set for the next 12 years. If it's no, the 49ers are massively screwed. If it's yes, why didn't the Pats pay him? There's always a way.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:53:07 AM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 01:35:34 PM »
A lot of money for a guy who had 1/2 of a good season.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 01:48:29 PM »
$137.5m, $27.5m / yr. No info on what's guaranteed.

Maybe Aaron is worth 30m?

Is Garoppolo a Roethlesberger / Brees / Wilson / Rodgers / Brady level of talent? Is its yes, the 49ers are set for the next 12 years. If it's no, the 49ers are massively screwed. If it's yes, why didn't the Pats pay him? There's always a way.

This is similar to two QB situations with the Packers. First, Favre/Rodgers. AR was approaching FA, and the Packers had to choose between Brett and Aaron. They chose to trade Favre and keep AR, of course. But then again, while Favre had been talking about retirement for years, and actually retired (under pressure by the Packers?), Brady has made it clear he wants to play until he's at least 45. So, Garoppolo had a choice- accept a well paid job as a backup, or be a starter elsewhere. Lucky for him the Pats decided to send him to SF, rather than Cleveland. Why would they do that? Perhaps this is similar to a similar situation the Packers had with a QB.

Once, when Favre was much younger, Mark Brunell was impressing many as a QB, and looked like he was ready to be a starter. But he would have been stuck as a backup in GB. So the Packers dealt him to Jacksonville. Why there? So they wouldn't have to face him as an opponent on a regular basis. Similar to what NE did with Garoppolo.

So, could NE have kept Garoppolo? Doubtful. The guy was ready to start, and money wasn't going to persuade him to be a backup.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 02:28:28 PM »
Favre's retirement was sealed when he folded against NY in the championship game. McCarthy said later, "I should have played Rodgers in the 2nd half. At least I would have had a guy out there who wanted to play."
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 02:46:17 PM »
QB contracts are getting out of hand.  And it's only just begun.  Cousins, Brees, Keenum, will all test the new high water mark.  By the time ARod steps up to the plate, it'll be shockingly higher still. 
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 12:59:49 AM »
The numbers are high, but the contract is manageable, especially for the 49ers who have a ton of cap space. It is structured so that the 49ers can essentially part ties with Garoppolo in year three of the contract, with a dead money hit of only $4m.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"