August 21, 2018, 02:10:37 PM

Author Topic: Rodgers Miffed QB Coach Was Let Go?  (Read 1963 times)

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Rodgers Miffed QB Coach Was Let Go?
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:18:46 AM »
I got three words for Van Pelt not being retained and Rodgers being miffed:  Brett Hundley Unprepared.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22285473

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:20:37 AM by The GM »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: Rodgers Miffed QB Coach Was Let Go?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 09:54:46 AM »
Aaron was on the radio this morning being interviewed.  He's not happy his position coach didn't get retained.  He liked his coach and he wasn't consulted when the change was being considered.  He thought some of the changes were "odd" but that one he didn't like.

He said to get back to a championship level they need to have a much stronger defense (almost in those words),  that all the final 4 teams had very good defenses.

My take listening to him is he's looking at what they are doing and deciding what that means for him and his future.  And he's not sure he likes what he sees--some of it he definitely doesn't like and he really didn't like not being consulted on something that was near and dear to him.

McCarthy got a 1 year extension, so he's on a short leash. Aaron is a free agent after 2019. If I'm Aaron I want to see some positive results quickly. If he doesn't see progress it could get ugly.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 12:22:35 PM »
Van Pelt was let go because of Hundley.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 01:09:17 AM »
Van Pelt's contract lapsed. He decided not to re-sign with the Packers, at least partially (apparently) because the team has a habit of not letting their coaches try to advance to more responsible positions with other teams. Van Pelt wanted to move further up the coaching ladder. So, even though the Packers offered to extend his contract, he refused. He was not fired; he decided he had gotten as far as he was going to ascend in GB, and made a lateral move to Cincy, with the plan being to move into an OC slot next year. Proof? Read this tweet:

Jason Wilde

@jasonjwilde
Alex Van Pelt did not sign an extension before the 2017 season because he wanted to be able to pursue a coordinator job. Mike McCarthy has historically blocked position coaches from coordinator interviews if under contract. Ben McAdoo did same thing after being blocked.

9:20 AM - Feb 1, 2018
 5 5 Replies   15 15 Retweets   43 43 likes

So, Rodgers is saying he's not happy? During contract negotiaitons, where the team needs him much more than he needs the team? How shocking. Here's the entire article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/01/aaron-rodgers-says-packers-let-quarterbacks-coach-go-without-consulting-me/?utm_term=.b382d1827011

Rodgers is clearly indicating, with this quote that, indeed, the defense needs to get better, which has been obvious to Packers fans for years:

“I’d say we’re not too far off. If you look at the final four teams that were in it, three of the four have dominating defenses, and the other one is the Patriots, which are often the most well-coached team in the NFL,” Rodgers said. “You’re looking at what Jacksonville did with their defense; what obviously Minnesota, what they do with their defense; and Philly was phenomenal. We need to get back to playing championship defense.”

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 05:32:31 AM »
The talk from Murphy etc. was to "improve communication".  So here we have a deal where there was no communication with Rodgers. 

He's not the president or the coach or Russ Ball, so I can understand the the administrators only feeling like they need to communicate with each other, not with players. 

But given that Aaron is the face of the franchise, that he does a million interviews, and that he's the QB who works closely wth the QB coach, I think it would have been wise and respectful to give Aaron a call, and discuss it with him, or explain the situation.  A "communications" omission. 

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 08:23:56 AM »
I think the old Colts GM had a saying that fits here........

" when a GM/HC starts listening to the fans it won't be long until he is sitting with them"

fans/player is about the same

Last player Packers had who had input was named "Curly"

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 08:41:22 AM »
I think he's overestimating his influence. I don't understand why you would say that after he's already been let go and a new QB coach has been put in place.

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 09:54:36 AM »
Rodger’s is intelligent and I believe, loyal.  However, looking back at the last several years, he could easily make the arguement that the organization has continually asked him to shoulder more than his fair share of the heavy lifting.  I’d be frustrated too.  Especially when half the cast of characters around him go down like flies with injuries every year, with no plan - or help.  It was like, “hey Aaron, just do more.”  I believe that will change moving forward.  Sadly, many good years were lost to ultra-conservatism by the org, and I understand AR’s frustration.  If he were to take his talents elsewhere, like everyone outside of 1265 would like to have happen, I’d hope that fans wouldn’t act surprised.

There’s no use lamenting the past at this point - we can only hope to salvage the remaining time we still have AR in the fold.  And it’s quite possible that time may be short.
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 11:47:54 AM »
What will be, will be.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2757448-aaron-rodgers-says-he-may-have-to-leave-packers-during-career

If Aaron Rodgers is able to play in the NFL for as long as he hopes, he believes it could result in playing for another organization other than the Green Bay Packers.

Per Arnie Stapleton of the Associated Press, Rodgers said he would like to play into his 40s and compared his situation with the Packers to Brett Favre's.

"I think you have to be humble enough to realize if it could happen to Brett, it can happen to you," he said.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 02:45:50 PM »
....fans/player is about the same   Last player Packers had who had input was named "Curly"
Maybe that's the way it is, and that's the way it should be, I don't know. 

Even if you weren't going to consider input from Aaron, you might still contact him as a highly interested/impacted party to tell him the news, and perhaps to explain the decision.  Seems like a harmless courtesy and show of respect to one of your guys.  Communication. 

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 05:09:52 AM »
I wonder if anyone has told AR/fans that Van Pelt DIDN'T sign a contract...Van Pelt WANTED to be a FA

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 05:43:47 AM »
I wonder if anyone has told AR/fans that Van Pelt DIDN'T sign a contract...Van Pelt WANTED to be a FA

EXACTLY! All this talk about "Van Pelt was let go" is incorrect. He was offered a contract. He refused to sign the contract. His contract ran out and he moved on. This was his choice. Could the Packers have retained him? Probably, IF they had promoted him from being the QB coach. Which could have caused problems, if AR had chosen to talk to Van Pelt rather than his new QB coach about his concerns. A brief bio on Cignetti: http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/cignetti-jr-frank/82a5c3f1-179c-4f7d-89b5-5e9e82704e9e

Rodgers, probably like most of us, doesn't really like change being thrust on him. Will he get along with Cignetti? Stay tuned. But he has to be at least a bit happier with Philbin back on the staff. So, we'll see. But I get the feeling if the Packers are winning and the offense is clicking and the defense is improved, AR will be happy. And if he really can't adjust to the new QB coach, well, then the team will move on to another coach. And perhaps a new head coach if the team doesn't win a SB.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 07:15:07 PM »
Strange to see Rodgers make uninformed comments. If he had such a great relationship with Van Pelt he would have known that it was Van Pelt's decision to leave, not the Packers. Not to sound too harsh, but Rodgers should take a page from the Belichick manual and ' just do your job'.

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 04:44:07 PM »
Strange to see Rodgers make uninformed comments. If he had such a great relationship with Van Pelt he would have known that it was Van Pelt's decision to leave, not the Packers. Not to sound too harsh, but Rodgers should take a page from the Belichick manual and ' just do your job'.

Agreed. I felt exactly the same way. It's not like they would consult Matthews for a lb coach.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 05:36:48 PM »

Agreed. I felt exactly the same way. It's not like they would consult Matthews for a lb coach.

+2 Rodgers need not be “consulted” about personnel matters, although I do think the Packer High Command could have notified him of Van Pelt’s decision as a professional courtesy.

SideBar: It’s great to see a “PackerChatters” web search has a working link again:

http://calsci.com/PackerChatters/index.php

Thanks again Mark, for your diligence.