June 24, 2018, 12:16:11 AM

Author Topic: Did the packers tank?  (Read 1035 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Did the packers tank?
« on: May 06, 2018, 11:51:46 PM »
Many of us believe Hundley would have performed better if McCarthy had changed the offense to a one read run an shoot. Perhaps we would have won one or two more games. Instead McCarthy insisted that Hundley run Aaron's offense.

Was McCarthy stupidly stubborn? Or did he intentionally tank?

I'm about 50-50 on this. I find it hard to say a sentence with McCarthy and Stupid both in it. I find it hard to believe the Packers would tank. But then in the NBA tanking is the new chocolate ice cream; I have to admit it's not unthinkable.

I will say, if he tanked he got a good price for it: two allegedly 1st round DBs and an extra 1st round pick for next year.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline craig

• HOF Member
Re: Did the packers tank?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 05:46:33 AM »
Did not tank. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 06:13:02 AM »
The words "McCarthy" and "stubborn" are definitely linked. After all, this is the guy who kept Capers around years after the league had caught on to his defensive schemes. The guy who stuck with having his WR's beat coverage, long after it became apparent they had a hard time doing that. The guy who maintained that Hundley would be fine long after everyone else knew he was struggling mightily. So, did he "tank"? No. he just believes that doing the same thing over and over again, even if it keeps failing, will eventually work. Because he knows if his guys just work a little harder, they'll be successful. But those days are gone. TT hired him, and so he backed him. But there's a new boss, and the leash just got a bit shorter the collar a bit tighter, and the seat a bit warmer.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 06:14:03 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 08:26:59 AM »
Tanking just isn't a thing in the NFL for the mostpart. Did Washington tank so that they could draft Da'Ron Payne or Oakland so they could get their hands on Kolton Miller? Unlike the NBA and their pursuit of a unicorn to change their fortures for the next decade, the NFL seldom has that one or two players that is predetermined in the draft to alter a teams future single handledly. The amazing dumb luck of the trade with the Saints aside, is it realistic to think that they would lose games so they could land Alexander and Jackson in the first two rounds? Will that combo in the end be better than Mike Hughes (30th overall) and Isaiah Oliver (58th overall)? The Packers could of went deep into the playoffs and still landed those two.

The benefit just isn't large enough in the NFL to go that route. Not mentioned is the fact that the people who would be doing the tanking would not be around for the benefits of their losing.   

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 10:25:15 AM »
Did they tank..............similar question to did the astronauts really land on the moon.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 10:42:59 AM »
Did they tank..............similar question to did the astronauts really land on the moon.

The astronauts left a reflector on the moon. I can bounce a laser off of it, demonstrating that there's a reflective artifact on the moon.

I know of no way to get reliable evidence about the Packers tanking.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 10:43:46 AM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 01:03:54 PM »
I dont think they tanked.  They were that bad.    I think these guys are professional enough to go out a perform at their best level.  Many of them have performance clauses in their contracts.   Every move they make is on film for review by coaches and fellow players.   Even guys like Vogel (Im not saying he tanked) but you cant afford to not perform at your best level.   Many of these guys have a guy breathing down their neck for playing time.   The NFL is about money and an opportunity for players to make it.  Are you going to risk that and tank your own performance??   I dont think so.       

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 04:09:32 PM »
The astronauts left a reflector on the moon. I can bounce a laser off of it, demonstrating that there's a reflective artifact on the moon.

So, if there is a lack of reliable evidence, how do we go about proving the theory the Packers "tanked"? Are Mulder and Scully currently available?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Divot

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 06:26:39 PM »
I don't think they tanked.  They lost their heart when Arod went down.   McCarthy showed that he isn't a very good offensive coach (IMO).   Let's hope Philbin is able to get McCarthy's ear.   

Regardless.....no playoffs or one and done this year and McCarthy is out.   

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 01:33:14 AM »

Taking a wry comment as a factual one.....hmmm. I understand you wanting to generate more action on this site, but I'll be filing this where most of the other conspiracy theories go - in the bin.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 02:01:11 PM »
Hundley had been in the system and knew how to run it. Probably a lot of things in it he wasn't comfortable with, and with Rodgers running the offense like he does the offense as a whole was not equipped to cope without him.

The read option is not part of McCarthy's offensive system. Any implementation of it would have been novice and unable to become Hundley's bread and butter. Hundley isn't anymore athletic than Rodgers was at his age, so I don't buy the idea of him being a consistent dual threat QB. Point being, Hundley is not Cam Newton, Russel Wilson, or Colin Krapernick.

The main difference I saw when Rodgers went down was ball movement and pretending like Rodgers was still under center. The offense has been erratic and inconsistent even with Rodgers under center. Long stretches with nothing happening and putting the defense on the field a lot.

They definitely didn't tank. Almost beat Pittsburgh and Rodgers came back against Carolina. Green Bay did everything they could to win IMO. It just wasn't their year. 

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 06:57:50 AM »
I dont think they tanked. I have always been a vocalopponent of MM since his hiring. He ran the worst offense in the league prior to getting hired in GB. He has proven to be stubborn in more than one area of the job. I think he truly believed Hundley was ready, and being the first time he hasn't been the head coach of an impending legend, he didn't do so hot. The fail was a blessing because it exposed him and the brass and left no choice but to make changes. I'm happy with the offseason so far aside from our first round trade back, which could be great or turn out to be a total backfire. So time will tell, but he didn't tank, he just isnt that great without his life jacket (Rodgers).
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 07:50:49 AM »
They tanked the last game at Detroit.  Out of the playoff hunt so yes on that last game they treated it like preseason.  MM was stubborn however he really righted the ship with Pettine and Philbin.  Those moves saved his job IMO.  Bennett as OC was a really brain dead decision.  Capers although brilliant proved time and time again his schemes were not working.  Give MM credit for addressing these glaring issues albeit late. 

Thought issues with the defense were initially injury related.  We did have a lot of guys go down.  Gave him a pass for a few years because of this.  MM could have made this move a year earlier IMO.  As far as EB he clearly showed no ability to scheme opponents.  Think this is why Aaron was resorting to sandlot football.  It was painful to watch.  This was the single worst decision MM ever made.