August 14, 2018, 11:40:20 PM

Author Topic: Randall Cobb has ankle injury  (Read 446 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Randall Cobb has ankle injury
« on: June 25, 2018, 10:11:34 AM »
He's in a walking boot, but hopes to be ready for at least the latter part of training camp. For those who want to get rid of him, read the final stat at the end of the article.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/report-packers-wr-randall-cobb-suffers-ankle-injury-137
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Randall Cobb has ankle injury
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 10:51:43 AM »
Selective stats only reveal part of a story.

While 600+ targets and a 70+% catch ratio are a nice stat to put on a resume'.................He has caught only 2 more TD passes in the last 3 years (combined) than he caught in his highwater mark year of 2014, which was (of course, and conveniently) a contract year.
Plus, his yds/catch average has steadily declined since his 2014 contract year.

If Cobb was almost any other player (cue Cleditus Hunt), many fans would say he tanked his game after he got his big fat pay day.

But since Cobb is a high character guy, I guess he gets a free pass.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Randall Cobb has ankle injury
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 01:49:22 PM »
If Cobb was almost any other player (cue Cleditus Hunt), many fans would say he tanked his game after he got his big fat pay day.

But since Cobb is a high character guy, I guess he gets a free pass.

Harsh. Injuries, both to him and his fellow WR's and then AR had an impact. Route trees that meant the WR's were given no help in getting open were another problem. To say he "tanked", ala Hunt (who never really played hard, but for some reason Sherman thought the world of the guy) is, IMO, not accurate. Add in his versatility, and you have a valuable cog in the offense. Is he worth his contract? Nope. For the reasons listed though, not "tank(ing) his game after he got a big fat pay day."

Is he worth his contract? Nope. But this is another "contract year" for him, and the Packers will have a chance to address that issue. Will they keep him? Probably not, since they've drafted a lot of competitors who are taller, faster, younger and cheaper. Expect another "Jordy Nelson contract offer" (read: insulting) when the time comes.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:53:18 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid