June 20, 2018, 07:53:16 PM

Author Topic: surprise! packers cornerbacks still suck  (Read 2936 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
Re: surprise! packers cornerbacks still suck
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 06:16:22 PM »
I wouldn't say our CB's suck.  There is talent.  Randall, King, and House are solid guys.  Have some young developmental guys in Hawkins and Waters.  The cupboard is not bare.  Think Pettine scheme change will do these guys some good.  KISS principle.  Let there natural abilities and instincts take over.  That being said we could use another starter.  House is a decent CB always liked him.  If we can't score a top CB in the draft or FA I'd bring him back.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 06:58:22 PM »
I agree with Score on this. There are pieces to work with there to make this group, at least, servicable. How they absorb Pettine's defensive scheme will be the tell-all. But Pettine is also known for adapting his scheme to maximize a players strengths. So color me curious!

Randall flashed this last year, after his benching against CHI. Now let's hope he can build off of what he did right.
King coming back healthy will hopefully allow him to show more of why they drafted him with their first pick (albeit a 2nd rounder. Shades of Jordy!)
Pipkins got some valuable PT this last year. Not many rookie udfa's get that. Let's see if he makes a yr-1 to yr-2 jump.
Whitt was excited about Herb Waters going in to OTA's/minicamp. Then he hurt his arm and ended up on IR. What will he bring to Pettine's defense?
I also like House. Solid, if unspectacular, role playing veteran CB. He missed more time with injury than I would have liked to see. Maybe that brings him back at a team friendly deal. His best skill is press-man, and that's what Pettine's defense mostly plays.
If they don't bring back House, I'd like to see them make a play for Rashaan Melvin (INDY). He's similar size to House (6-2/200) but runs slightly faster at 4.48. I think he missed time this last year with some kind of ding as well, so maybe he's affordable.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 02:51:41 AM »
King as one boundary corner, Randall in the slot. Draft one CB for the other boundary position, maybe get a reasonable vet as temporary fill-in, until the rookie is ready. Problem solved.

The biggest problem is that edge rusher, WR, TE need addressing early in the draft, as well.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 05:28:06 AM »
A new year, more experience for the younger players could make a difference. Better health could help the team all around. A new defensive scheme cold help the team. An influx of competing players (draft picks, UFA's and a FA or two) could help upgrade this group. So, do you hope, or do you despair? I choose hope, backed with some signs the team is making changes to address these problems.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 09:14:28 AM »
I wouldn't say our CB's suck.  There is talent.  Randall, King, and House are solid guys.  Have some young developmental guys in Hawkins and Waters.  The cupboard is not bare.  Think Pettine scheme change will do these guys some good.  KISS principle.  Let there natural abilities and instincts take over.  That being said we could use another starter.  House is a decent CB always liked him.  If we can't score a top CB in the draft or FA I'd bring him back.

Agree on all points. This position group as much as any will benefit from the coaching changes. Their is talent there.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 09:17:20 AM »
https://www.totalpackers.com/2018/02/surprise-packers-cornerbacks-still-suck/

And on another note, not surprising that the totalpackers.com site still sucks. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 07:43:21 AM »
I have to agree with most here. The cupboard is hardly bare but we likely do need another high pick at Corner to help solidify that spot. Rolling out King, Randall, Rollins, Pipkins and Hawkins wouldn't exactly inspire confidence.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 04:16:26 PM »
I see some real talent in that CB corp, but that is just me. I know some scouts are pleased with Randall and King, but it could be a smoke screen as well.
The only guys who can tell us if the Packers have a core of players are the coaches/scouts. I also don't think they are talking....
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Scott1956

• All Pro
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 05:23:50 PM »
I don't trust Randall. I do think King has a chance to be really good. I'm also tired of drafting DB's really high, only to find out that, outside of King, they aren't very good. You want to help the secondary? Get a real pass rush.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 03:29:29 PM »
This guy does some nice film breakdown of CB Lenzy Pipkins from last season.

With a full off-season and TC under his belt, he might challenge for some serious playing time this year.

Would be nice to see at least one of the young no-name DB's take a large step forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyNiJCIqMLc

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »
They are weak, Williams acquisition will help dumping Burnett will help, moving Jones to safety will help.

Having a defensive coordinator that actually coaches the db's will help a whole lot!

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 01:38:20 PM »
Just as when Lombardi arrived, all of the awful, no talent players will be transformed into HOF level talent.
Maybe not to that extreme, but barring injury, Packer fans will be amazed at the difference that MP will make.
Team defense, can be a beautiful thing.  That is something Packer fans have all but forgotten in these last 8-22 years.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 05:19:57 PM »
I'm no expert, but I don't think Carroll's failure is proof that all corners who are an inch or two short are going to be disasters like he was.   Plenty of shorter corners in the league, and in league history, who have been REALLY good cover guys.  Carroll was not. 

I might rather come in an inch short and get a really quick, smart, change-of-directions guy who can really cover, and can really read receivers, rather than get a guy an inch or two taller who isn't smart and can't mirror. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 07:20:13 PM »
I'm no expert, but I don't think Carroll's failure is proof that all corners who are an inch or two short are going to be disasters like he was.   Plenty of shorter corners in the league, and in league history, who have been REALLY good cover guys.  Carroll was not. 

I might rather come in an inch short and get a really quick, smart, change-of-directions guy who can really cover, and can really read receivers, rather than get a guy an inch or two taller who isn't smart and can't mirror.

I think you will be surprised to see how little success that smallish CB's have at the NFL level. We all remember the little guys that do succeed, the Darrell Green's of the world, but sadly for them the failure rate is very high. I went thru the top 100 rated CB's from a year ago and really only 2 were some what successful. Brent Grimes who is listed at 5'10"/185 was the 30th rated outside corner and Jourdan Lewis of the Dallas Cowboys who is listed at 5'10"/186 was rated 54th. Under 5'10" and their is a very small likelihood of success. Here is a link if you would like to do some digging for yourself.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2754252-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-outside-cornerbacks-of-2017-season 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:22:38 PM by RT »